XRBG-2 rolling image

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
LEGENOARYNINLIA

XRBG-2 rolling image

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

I purchased an XRGB-2 unit earlier this year and in initial tests it worked mostly fine – nothing a little wiggle didn't sort out. The port in the front had been modded for RGB SCART and that worked well enough. I tried the composite port in the back with my AV Famicom and it worked fine. Both still work fine.

But now if I plug in my Saturn or PS2 via S-video or composite I get a rolling picture. Any idea why is that? Both are modded PAL systems, but the games I tried it with are NTSC-J. I also tried re-routing the signal through some JVC monitors but that didn't help one bit. Then I sent the composite signals from the consoles to my VCR that can force the output to NTSC. That also had no difference. The XRGB-2 is hooked up to a Sony Multiscan 500PS CRT.

Any ideas?
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
Fudoh

Re: XRBG-2 rolling image

Post by Fudoh »

For composite or s-video you don't get proper output, if the refresh rate doesn't match the original system region. In other words: you don't get real NTSC from a modded PAL system. Instead you're getting PAL60 or some other unsupported variation. Connecting your Saturn or PS2 through RGB to the XRGB will work.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Further testing made with the VCR I mentioned in the first post hooked up to the XRGB-2:

Just watching NTSC tapes works. Forcing PAL tapes to NTSC works.

Hooking up the Saturn to line 1 or line 2 in the VCR and forcing the output to NTSC: rolling pic with colour about 9 times out of 10, but one time I got the picture to be stable but without colour by turning off the XRGB-2 and then back on again. When the picture was stable I went though all possible other signals from the VCR settings, and the picture stayed mostly stable. Only some variation of SECAM and PAL-M made it lose sync, but it went stable again as soon as I turned the output to NTSC. Alas, no colour so back to square one.

The VCR in question is a Panasonic AG-W3. It's a bit sad that it couldn't fix the problem. I'll check another VCR with a similar feature tomorrow.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The VCR in question is a Panasonic AG-W3
had to be. Other VCRs won't change signals from one standard to another.

But honestly, you didn't get a XRGB to connect those systems through anything but RGB.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

I got it for RGB use at home, and to use S-video when paired up with my linked JVC monitors during events. The idea was to feed a solid 31KHz image to OSSC, but I guess that isn't happening.