SONY BVM 1454D CRT Tube possible donor for SONY PVM 14M2E?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Reggie_Sunderland

SONY BVM 1454D CRT Tube possible donor for SONY PVM 14M2E?

Post by Reggie_Sunderland »

As the title says I am wondering if the CRT Tube of a SONY BVM 1454D which is a modified version of the SONY PVM 1454QM is a possible donor for a SONY PVM 14M2E.

Since the mainboard on the BVM 1454D is fried and the Tube on the PVM 14M2E is worn out with burn in and very dark picture contrary to the Tube on the BVM 1454D which is very bright with vibrant colors, along with the neckboard on the PVM 14M2E having the focus potentiometer broken.

I'd like the expertise in this forum on the possibility of also using the neckboard of the BVM 1454D, both CRT's seem very identical with a few changes on the mainboard and PSU but the rest seems exactly the same even from the schematics.

I also leave some photos of the Tubes ID's and other stickers along with the neckboards, do let me know if it's possible.

BVM 1454D:
ImageImageImageImage

PVM 14M2E
ImageImageImageImage
matt

Re: SONY BVM 1454D CRT Tube possible donor for SONY PVM 14M2

Post by matt »

The tubes should be compatible; they have the same pinout. Ideally the yokes would be the same, which would make the job easy.

Not sure about the neck board. It might be a better idea to just swap the focus pot, if that's the only part that's bad.
Reggie_Sunderland

Re: SONY BVM 1454D CRT Tube possible donor for SONY PVM 14M2

Post by Reggie_Sunderland »

Yes the pinout is exactly the same and so is the connector from the deflection yoke to the mainboard despite it being a bit different, the deflection yoke of the 14M2E looks of much better built quality than the 1454D.

Here's a look at the neckboards from the service manual, they seem identical or exactly the same?
I'd replace just the potentiometer but unfortunately I'm the one that broke the mainboard on the 1454D replacing capacitors, I'm not that good at soldering so if they are exactly the same that would be best.

BVM 1454D:

PVM 14M2E:

Again, any help is appreciated, also what's the worse that can happen if it doesn't work?
CRT's do scare me a little due to the high voltage while they are on.