Solution to smooth the white level of a Trinitron 21"

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Machineman

Solution to smooth the white level of a Trinitron 21"

Post by Machineman »

Please, i have been diagnosed with blepharitis from a young age and it has caused me photophobia (a sensitivity to light in eyes), so I wish I could smooth the white level of my trinitron so i could enjoy it better.

We know that the Trinitron's Aperture Grille lets pass more light through and the first options we think about when wanting to reduce the light level are; 1) reducing the "picture control" in the menu > problem: by doing this we are decreasing the level of detail of the whole image and the white passing through the aperture grille will be prominent anyway. 2) To use a shadow mask tv > problem: shadow mask tvs with Component Video input are not accessible (very rare) in my region and Component is essential for me.

And the strongest reason; my 21" trinitron is old but it was hardly used and i wouldn't want to use other TV sets within overused tube instead.

Please don't misunderstand, i'm not looking for a super dark picture, just a lower intensity of white. I thought of an anti-glare filter or something like that but I don't think we can find this nowadays, not for crt tv.

I appreciate any ideas that come up so that I can continue to enjoy my trinitron with the retrogames I love, thank you!
NoAffinity

Re: Solution to smooth the white level of a Trinitron 21"

Post by NoAffinity »

Assuming you've already spent some time dialing in the sub-picture settings in the service menu and gotten the picture looking great for gaming? If not, look that up separately. I believe there's a good simple guide here on shmups.

Below is a thread with detail on all of the service menu settings.

https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.ph ... ns.235099/

At a glance, the below might be helpful in achieving what you're after. No guarantee all setting are available, depending on the model you have.

ABLM 0 0,1 Automatic Background or Brightness Limiter
DCOL 1 0,1 Color Temperature
DPIX 0 0-3 Dynamic Picture

And of course the sub-picture setting mentioned earlier might also be helpful:

SPIX 30 0-63 Sub-Picture Contrast (Picture)
SCON 30 0-63 Sub-Picture Contrast (Picture)
SHUE 23 0-63 Sub-Picture Hue
SCOL 26 0-63 Sub-Picture Color
SBRT 22 0-63 Sub-Picture Brightness (Black Level)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Syntax

Re: Solution to smooth the white level of a Trinitron 21"

Post by Syntax »

Do the rose photophobia glasses help at all?