Borti 'basic' RGB modded N64 and the right SCART cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
El_Syd

Borti 'basic' RGB modded N64 and the right SCART cable

Post by El_Syd »

I recently purchased a modified N64 as shown here:

https://tinyurl.com/2wezzmua

After a few exchanges, the seller recommended that I use this cable: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart

The option that I'm supposed to go with is 'CSYNC Pass-through', (which is also known as TTL) rather than the other, 'CSYNC 470Ω - Most Common'.

I thanked the seller for clarifying things for me, but I later got confused again after reading the product pages for the OSSC and Retrotink 5X. Isn't it supposed to be dangerous to use TTL sync with those? I'm rather confused because the listing itself said the N64 was tested using a SNES TTL pass-through Csync SCART cable going into an OSSC.

I also contacted Retro Gaming Cables about this and they said:

'I've read the listing you sent and it's a bit confusing, as they state its outputting TTL, but then you advised that you've been told you need a cable without a resistor, which is a bit of a contradiction.

However here are the rules below.

Scenario 1 If the console doesn't have a resistor on the CSYNC out, this will be TTL and the SCART cable needs a resistor on the CSYNC line.

Scenario 2 If the console has resistor on the sync out, this is already attenuated for use on 75 ohm equipment therefore the cable doesn't need a resistor on the sync line.'

I feel I need more clarification. Not only am I concerned about the possibility of damaging a scaler that I may get down the track, I'm also worried about damaging my RGB SCART modded CRT.
thchardcore

Re: Borti 'basic' RGB modded N64 and the right SCART cable

Post by thchardcore »

There may be a jumper on your RGB mod to enable 75ohm c-sync (aka consumer/non-TTL). Your rgb mod may be outputting c-sync in one of two formats (75 ohm or TTL) or using composite video for sync (already 75ohm, so nothing to do RE resistor in cable)

If you have a multimeter, you can check to see if your cable has a resistor in it already.

If your n64 rgb mod is set to output TTL c-sync, you need a resistor on the cable.

If your n64 rgb mod is set to output 75ohm c-sync, you do not need a resistor on the cable.

If your n64 rgb mod is using composite video for sync, you do not need a resistor in the cable.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
El_Syd

Post by El_Syd »

Would a sync on luma cable simplify this?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

I don't see any issue. That should work just the same as composite video for sync.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
El_Syd

Post by El_Syd »

Excellent. Thank you for your insight.