Lever with shortest engage/throw? Modded JLF vs. LS 40/56?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ulfrinn

Re: Lever with shortest engage/throw? Modded JLF vs. LS 40/5

Post by ulfrinn »

I got the LS-40 today and installed it. The wiring harness wasn't compatible so I had to take the PCB side connectors from what I had, to the switch connectors in the new harness and it's all good now. But, the actuation distance and throw really aren't that noticeably different than the stock JLF, and I think the larger actuator I 3D printed for it even give it an edge over the stock LS-40. Maybe I should 3D print some new actuators for the LS-40?
Dooberknob

Post by Dooberknob »

I recently tried a couple of Sanwa's official oversized actuators on my JLF. The blue one is 16.45mm and the red one 16.7mm compared to the stock 15.8mm. I tested the red one first and found it to be too big. The issue being the sometimes when the stick would return to neutral, the switch would remain depressed causing the input to persist unless the stick was absolutely dead center. It kind of felt like an Xbox controller with stick drift if anyone is familiar with that. I was using the stock spring, so this may be remedied by using a heavier one, but my wrists really don't like heavy springs.

The blue one reduces the actuation enough that engage feels noticeably reduced (though not dramatically so), but has just enough deadzone not to have the problem that the red one had. This is probably as good as it's going to get on the actuation end, however I would prefer it if the cylindrical part of the actuator that comes in contact with the gate was slightly larger to reduce the throw a bit more. I feel like there's still a bit too much unnecessary space between the actuation point and hitting the gate. Overall though, I would still consider the blue actuator an improvement over stock.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I'm surprised Sanwa would issue an official actuator with such problems.

Had you tried the Kowal piece before buying the official ones? Lots of people were very happy with them before Sanwa even jumped on the bandwagon; there was of course the one loud complaint referenced earlier in the thread.
Dooberknob

Post by Dooberknob »

bigbadboaz wrote:I'm surprised Sanwa would issue an official actuator with such problems.

Had you tried the Kowal piece before buying the official ones? Lots of people were very happy with them before Sanwa even jumped on the bandwagon; there was of course the one loud complaint referenced earlier in the thread.
Nah, I didn't try the Kowal. I've read some reviews that say it has the same switch sticking issue as the red Sanwa, and that the material starts to degrade and leave dust in your stick.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Never got a sticking issue with my Kowal actuator myself, but never checked the degradation thing.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

3D printed short throw mod for LS-56 / 58 / 60, 1mm and .05mm available. Has anyone here tried it?

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads ... cer.22911/
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

SGGG2 wrote:3D printed short throw mod for LS-56 / 58 / 60, 1mm and .05mm available. Has anyone here tried it?

Yes, it's absolutely useless imo. Way too tight. Might be somewhat usable for shmups but if you play anything else, it's a downgrade in LS-56. LS-56 just needs a bit softer spring imo.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Dooberknob

Post by Dooberknob »

thchardcore wrote:LS-56 just needs a bit softer spring imo.
Wouldn't that just be an LS-58?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yes. He can just buy the spring.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

This is what I did but after I still prefer a stock LS-32. Go figure.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

thchardcore wrote:
SGGG2 wrote:3D printed short throw mod for LS-56 / 58 / 60, 1mm and .05mm available. Has anyone here tried it?

Yes, it's absolutely useless imo. Way too tight. Might be somewhat usable for shmups but if you play anything else, it's a downgrade in LS-56. LS-56 just needs a bit softer spring imo.
Turns out I had a short throw plate from years ago. Installed it and definitely not a fan. Is there a Seimitsu spring stronger than the LS-56? I have a LS-58 with an extended shaft, which softens the feel, and a LS-56 spring to help compensate. It feels great, but I’d like stronger snap back to micro in STGs.

The LS-58 is not the same as a 56. I’ve owned both at the same time and a 58 with a 56 spring is definitely softer than a stock 56.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Shortest throw? It definitely has to be this lol

https://twitter.com/tmconchi303/status/ ... jWtvw&s=19