Dreamcast 240p / 480i component cables?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
azmun

Dreamcast 240p / 480i component cables?

Post by azmun »

While we're still waiting for HD Retrovision to finalise their component cables (why is it taking forever?), it seems some builders have attempted to manufacture their own versions. Has anyone been able to buy from Retro Gaming Cable (they are currently out of stock)? I found a particular one from China. If you pay closer attention, item pictured does not match description. It says 128 RGBS/RGB Cable Cord for Sega Mega Drive 2 MD2. However, upon closer inspection, the cable end looks like a Dreamcast AV plug / 16 PIN jack. If in fact this item can display native 240p or 480i in component, perhaps we have a hidden gem and at a very reason price ($15.76), to boot! Here's the link to the product:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194435962647

edit: I dug a bit deeper an found one remarkable review (4 out of 5 stars)
Not the right product for everyone, but it worked for my particular situation. Do NOT buy it if you just want to plug it right into a consumer TV: it'll only work by composite that way, and you could pay less than half this cost for a regular composite cable. Even if you have a PAL TV with RGB component inputs, without a separate sync connection, the picture won't display right. DO buy it if you happen to have an RGBs to YPbPr converter with component inputs. I just happened to have one (see picture) and it works great that way; the cable's not perfectly shielded, but nothing at this pricepoint is, and for my money, it's still a great option. It's also a decent choice if you have a PVM; just pop the BNC caps on the end and it'll hook up. That being said, if you have the money for a PVM, you might still want to consider a better-shielded option, if you've gone so far as to use a PVM already. Most people don't have a box with component input or a PVM, though, so unless you explicitly do, you should just look for SCART cables and boxes instead.
Last edited by azmun on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Re: Dreamcast 240p / 480i component cables?

Post by kitty666cats »

azmun wrote:While we're still waiting for HD Retrovision to finalise their component cables (why is it taking forever?), it seems some builders have attempted to manufacture their own versions. Has anyone been able to buy from Retro Gaming Cable (they are currently out of stock)? I found a particular one from China. If you pay closer attention, item pictured does not match description. It says 128 RGBS/RGB Cable Cord for Sega Mega Drive 2 MD2. However, upon closer inspection, the cable end looks like a Dreamcast AV plug / 16 PIN jack. If in fact this item can display native 240p or 480i in component, perhaps we have a hidden gem and at a very reason price ($15.76), to boot! Here's the link to the product:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194435962647
That’s not a component cable, it’s red green blue and sync (whichever type of sync DC does, sync on composite video or csync… I forget). You’d plug it into a PVM or what-have-you with RCA to BNC adapters and only be able to use 15kHz modes, you were right about that part.
azmun

Re: Dreamcast 240p / 480i component cables?

Post by azmun »

The review says these cables should be paired with an RGBS to YPbPr / component converter identical to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234247314961

Since the cables can be connected directly to a PVM (via RCA to BNC adapters), would there be any benefit or advantage using said converter?