What's the largest screen you've tate'd?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

What's the largest screen you've tate'd?

Post by bobrocks95 »

I've got a 55" LG OLED which still offers a pretty good vertical height for scaler/emulator rotated tate games, but I've awkwardly lied on my side before to get an idea of what rotating the screen would look like, and it's crazy impressive to see a vertical shooter at such a large size.

But I'd have to imagine rotating a 55" TV is completely impractical unless you put it on a wall mount with practically nothing underneath it, or much higher up on the wall than is ideal. And do they even make rotating wall mounts for 55"+ TVs? In the future I'd probably like to get a 65" or 77" anyways, so I don't really see it ever working as part of a main setup.

What's the largest display you've rotated for vertical games?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Konsolkongen

Re: What's the largest screen you've tate'd?

Post by Konsolkongen »

I’ve rotated my wallmounted 55” inch OLED. The main problem is cable management if you’re trying to keep them out of sight. You’ll want to make sure that the cables don’t put too much stress on the HDMI inputs.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

bobrocks95 wrote:But I'd have to imagine rotating a 55" TV is completely impractical unless you put it on a wall mount with practically nothing underneath it, or much higher up on the wall than is ideal.
The key is a mount that pulls away from the wall and clears whatever is below it, so when you rotate it, it's rotated IN FRONT of that stuff. Then you don't have to deal with a TV mounted stupidly high up on the wall.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:But I'd have to imagine rotating a 55" TV is completely impractical unless you put it on a wall mount with practically nothing underneath it, or much higher up on the wall than is ideal.
The key is a mount that pulls away from the wall and clears whatever is below it, so when you rotate it, it's rotated IN FRONT of that stuff. Then you don't have to deal with a TV mounted stupidly high up on the wall.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm now struggling to find articulating mounts that can actually rotate though, they all seem to be the very flush with the wall fixed mounts.

EDIT: Found an old post that mentions one of the two cheaper mounts that I had found after looking for about an hour: viewtopic.php?p=1312097#p1312097. Supposedly a 300x200 VESA pattern isn't supported if you look at the amazon page for it though...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
matt

Post by matt »

Biggest one I've rotated is a 32" Toshiba CRT. It worked, but I didn't like it. It was too tall and it was hard to keep track of everything. IMO 27" is a better size - big enough but not too much.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

bobrocks95 wrote:Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm now struggling to find articulating mounts that can actually rotate though, they all seem to be the very flush with the wall fixed mounts.

EDIT: Found an old post that mentions one of the two cheaper mounts that I had found after looking for about an hour: viewtopic.php?p=1312097#p1312097. Supposedly a 300x200 VESA pattern isn't supported if you look at the amazon page for it though...
No joke, took ~2 hours per day for a week straight to find this friggin mount (was SUPER hard because I needed it for an old plasma about triple the weight of modern TV's, which had an obnoxiously large VESA pattern most didn't get even close to large enough, plus nearly none rotate to begin with...).

It's "VESA compatible from 200x200 to 800x600". It pulls out 31" from the wall. I didn't buy it for this entertainment center of mine, but just to give you an idea of scale my entertainment center only comes out 21" from the wall so there should be plenty of clearance even if the manufacturer fibbed their numbers a little bit. The center of my TV is mounted 2-3" above my eye level (supposed to be even, but close enough) so it's pretty much what the home cinema enthusiasts say is ideal for this distance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B8 ... UTF8&psc=1

For full disclosure I have NOT used this mount yet, it's literally been in my garage for two years (been slow to finish renovating my game room... almost done finally!), but hit all the specs I needed and I'm REALLY hoping it'll be perfect for my setup.

I previously was using a 49" TCL in TATE with this other mount. Sounds like it won't fit your 300x200 TV but going to put it here in case it ever helps somebody else searching for something like this. Doesn't positively click into horizontal or tate (have to eye-ball it), but it did me well for quite a few years with that 49", and it comes off the wall decently far as well (don't know how much, maybe the listing says). You can see a short view of it in this video (should jump to 2:50). I paid $77 for it in 2017 so it's hopefully cheaper somewhere other than Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N ... UTF8&psc=1
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I tate'd a SONY 65" 3D TV so I could play Spirit Tracks on the Wii U

It would be really cool to see a Projector screen mounted sideways..
Copyright 1987
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

matt wrote:Biggest one I've rotated is a 32" Toshiba CRT. It worked, but I didn't like it. It was too tall and it was hard to keep track of everything. IMO 27" is a better size - big enough but not too much.
Were you close up, like going for candy cab kind of setup? I'm definitely at a decent couch distance so bigger the better as far as I'm concerned.
Dochartaigh wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm now struggling to find articulating mounts that can actually rotate though, they all seem to be the very flush with the wall fixed mounts.

No joke, took ~2 hours per day for a week straight to find this friggin mount (was SUPER hard because I needed it for an old plasma about triple the weight of modern TV's, which had an obnoxiously large VESA pattern most didn't get even close to large enough, plus nearly none rotate to begin with...).

It's "VESA compatible from 200x200 to 800x600". It pulls out 31" from the wall. I didn't buy it for this entertainment center of mine, but just to give you an idea of scale my entertainment center only comes out 21" from the wall so there should be plenty of clearance even if the manufacturer fibbed their numbers a little bit. The center of my TV is mounted 2-3" above my eye level (supposed to be even, but close enough) so it's pretty much what the home cinema enthusiasts say is ideal for this distance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B8 ... UTF8&psc=1

For full disclosure I have NOT used this mount yet, it's literally been in my garage for two years (been slow to finish renovating my game room... almost done finally!), but hit all the specs I needed and I'm REALLY hoping it'll be perfect for my setup.

I previously was using a 49" TCL in TATE with this other mount. Sounds like it won't fit your 300x200 TV but going to put it here in case it ever helps somebody else searching for something like this. Doesn't positively click into horizontal or tate (have to eye-ball it), but it did me well for quite a few years with that 49", and it comes off the wall decently far as well (don't know how much, maybe the listing says). You can see a short view of it in this video (should jump to 2:50). I paid $77 for it in 2017 so it's hopefully cheaper somewhere other than Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N ... UTF8&psc=1
That first amazon one you've got in your garage is the bigger variant I saw of the mount mentioned in that old post, so it's the 2nd of 2 that I found that weren't on that wallmountworld site for a few hundred dollars. Seems like something reasonable to try out to me, though the Amazon user reviews aren't the best. I checked and assuming I kept my same media unit I'd only need about a 20" extension to clear it, though this would be for a setup much further down the line. If it's on Amazon you can always return it if it's crap (though not your 2 year old one lol).
Hoagtech wrote:I tate'd a SONY 65" 3D TV so I could play Spirit Tracks on the Wii U
Sweet, I was definitely disappointed with the options on the Wii U DS VC with a horizontal display, especially since it was 720p output. Looks like a fun time in vertical, and if you didn't know you can do custom screen layouts, I'd want the GamePad to only show the bottom screen, for any required touch inputs, myself.
matt

Post by matt »

bobrocks95 wrote:Were you close up, like going for candy cab kind of setup? I'm definitely at a decent couch distance so bigger the better as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, I have a hard time playing shooters if I sit too far from the screen. I like bigger screens for RPGs, FPS, etc. but I do better at shmups if I'm closer to the action.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Does placing a projector on its side to a wall count? If so 150"

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Bahn Yuki wrote:Does placing a projector on its side to a wall count? If so 150"

Pics or it didn’t happen... :P
Copyright 1987
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Hoagtech wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:Does placing a projector on its side to a wall count? If so 150"

Pics or it didn’t happen... :P
As soon as I get my new JVC NZ8 I'll be making a video. I just hope the 8k gaming isn't too laggy.

Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

How about smallest screen? Some DoDonPachi on the 4":