What is the correct way to refer to mid-res arcade games?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
oldgamer

What is the correct way to refer to mid-res arcade games?

Post by oldgamer »

What are the correct terms to refer to mid resolution arcade games?

Is it 24KHz or 25KHz?

Are all mid-res games 384p or are there some other values?

Is there any mid-res game that was widescreen?
Josh128

Re: What is the correct way to refer to mid-res arcade games

Post by Josh128 »

24KHz but Im guilty of saying 25. Most are ~512x384 (Atari Seattle/Vegas) or ~496x384 (Model 2/Model 3).

Just FYI, Ive recently been playing with GroovyMAME and CRTEmudriver with my 15/31KHz Hitachi MMV/UVD CRTs and you can get perfect medium-res games in 31KHz with centered timings. On a CRT like an VGA/SVGA/XGA monitor, this will give you black borders all around the image, but you can stretch the raster to fill the screen and get perfect medium res games. Games like Mace:The Dark Age, Cruisin USA/World/Exotica, and Model 2 and Model 3 games appear exactly how they did back in the late '90s on a med res monitor. Fantastic.
oldgamer

Post by oldgamer »

Josh128 wrote:24KHz but Im guilty of saying 25. Most are ~512x384 (Atari Seattle/Vegas) or ~496x384 (Model 2/Model 3).

Just FYI, Ive recently been playing with GroovyMAME and CRTEmudriver with my 15/31KHz Hitachi MMV/UVD CRTs and you can get perfect medium-res games in 31KHz with centered timings. On a CRT like an VGA/SVGA/XGA monitor, this will give you black borders all around the image, but you can stretch the raster to fill the screen and get perfect medium res games. Games like Mace:The Dark Age, Cruisin USA/World/Exotica, and Model 2 and Model 3 games appear exactly how they did back in the late '90s on a med res monitor. Fantastic.
Was just checking the games, seems like model 3 has got several cool games. Some can be played in widescreen mode with an emulator.

Do you know of a list of medium res games? Something like best 100 games. I have been looking for one but couldn't find anything.

Now for using a 480p for 384p games, seems like the solution I'd have to use as I have plenty of PC monitors and one sony HD set that will take 480p/540p, though it isn't as convenient a solution as having a proper 24KHz capable monitor.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Med res monitors are almost non-existant these days. The tri-sync Wei-ya M-3129 was the last CRT produced that could do it and I believe they have finally ceased production as of last year. If you are using actual arcade hardware, you are correct, a real med-res monitor is the ticket-- but if you are using a PC running MAME, 384p centered in 31KHz is identical when you stretch the raster to fill the screen.

Im not sure if there are any scalers that could take RGBS 384p and center it in 31kHz, but if there are, that would work the same way for real arcade hardware. Perhaps the 5X Pro or the GBS-C could do it, would be an interesting test though. I could maybe try it with my MAME PC outputting composite sync RGB 24kHz and feeding the scalers to see what they could output in 480p.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Don't forget Sega System 24: Gain Ground, Crack Down, Bonanza Brothers, Scramble Spirits.

Also Gradius IV.

24khz was most popular in the Japanese computer world though.
parodius

Post by parodius »

And NARC.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.