GCVideo/GCDual - What cable to use for VGA (RGBHV) output?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sofakng

GCVideo/GCDual - What cable to use for VGA (RGBHV) output?

Post by sofakng »

I have a GCDual installed and I'd like to try using it on my VGA (31 kHz) monitor.

It looks like I can configure the multi-out for RGBHV but what kind of cable do I need? I've never seen a multi-out to VGA cable.

Do I need to purchase a multi-out SCART cable and then solder my own VGA/DB15 connector?
strayan

Re: GCVideo/GCDual - What cable to use for VGA (RGBHV) outpu

Post by strayan »

I’d recommend just using the HDMI out and cheap DAC like https://www.ugreen.com/products/hdmi-to ... audio-jack

Any new good quality cables are likely to cost more than one of these.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-3-5mm-Aud ... B003O55U8K

This one kicks ass & if you own a PS3 or PS4, it's compatible with those (requires the external PSU for those consoles tho... but not all consoles/HDMI sources)

...but if that UGreen above uses Lontium chips then that one will probably be equally good quality!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Unless you really need separate sync just use csync, its way easier to adapt a cable to suit and will work on 99% of VGA monitors.
matt

Post by matt »

The latest firmware revision disabled separate h/v sync. I discovered this after doing a wiidual install and trying to troubleshoot it for a couple of hours when I couldn't get it to work. So unless you want to revert to an older version it's a moot point.

Most VGA monitors will take composite sync, though. Just run it through the H sync pin.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Thanks everybody. I've ordered the Portta HDMI-to-VGA box but I'm still interested in direct output from GCVideo.

I think I understand about the RGBHV (versus RGBS) but I'm stuck on the cabling to connect the Multi-Out to a VGA cable. (ie. Nintendo Multi-Out -> DB15)
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

sofakng wrote:but I'm stuck on the cabling to connect the Multi-Out to a VGA cable. (ie. Nintendo Multi-Out -> DB15)
You can buy a high quality ready-made one here: https://retro-access.com/collections/rg ... dsub-cable

Just have to wait for them to open orders (they do seem to be taking custom cable orders).