HDMI to Component Converter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Trevor spencer

HDMI to Component Converter

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

I'm looking for a EDTV 480p CRT and would like to run my PC on it when I eventually find one.

Can anyone recommend me a good hdmi to component converter for gaming ?

Thanks
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
kitty666cats

Re: HDMI to Component Converter

Post by kitty666cats »

Portta, or generic one with a black metal case and rounded top

Also, make sure it is not a scaling one! Just a unit that passes through the source resolution :]
svcoco

Post by svcoco »

Startech HDMI to component. Works with whatever resolution you throw at it, even 240p (for example OSSC in passthrough mode or Raspberry Pi) and I have not noticed any color degradation. I personally have had a bad experience with those generic converters not working as I would like. If you can find it in ebay at a good price go for it

Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

OK thanks very much :)

I'll check them out.
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Quite a drastic price difference - the Portta is more than fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Converter ... 00A8FIQXA/

Here is the other one, have had no problem sending 240p through it (from a Raspberry Pi). Since you need 480p then you have nothing to worry about (for 240p, you want to make sure it has a Lontium chip inside... they are super easy to open/can just return it for free and get a different one if you ever needed one that can pass 240p)

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Wenter ... 07RFFWJWL/

Mike Chi tweeted about how good these are recently, he apparently liked the video output of these even better than the MiSTER's analog I/O board when doing quality control for the RT5X. I think anyone who can make something like a RetroTink 5X most likely has a pretty good eye for quality, heh. I own one and it works great for 240p out of a Raspberry Pi, looks very crisp.

That being said, the Startech one is definitely cool if you can find it cheap enough, since it has both VGA *and* component out!
azmun

Post by azmun »

Thanks for the heads up and recommendations. I've been on the lookout for a good converter (HDMI to 240p) and now that I've finally and recently acquired a SD CRT with component (well, D-Terminal to be more precise) inputs, I'll finally be able to test and check out how some of the new tech will display on an old skool tv set.

Regarding these devices, why does the price vary so much? In comparison to the Startech (retails for a whopping $209), the PORTTA seems like a bargain for $20. Are there significant differences in build quality, architecture, performance, processing, etc.? For example, will these DAC converters introduce any lag/image artifacts?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

If the unit does not have any up/downscaling, there is not going to be any lag. You can find the StarTech for cheap on eBay every now & then, but even if you found one for $40 it would be a better deal just getting a more modern HDMI to VGA + HDMI to YPbPr... which would *still* probably end up being cheaper than the StarTech!

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-3-5mm-Aud ... B003O55U8K

^ here is the Portta HDMI to VGA, also a great unit. Can pass 240p (though you'll likely need to combine sync on the output, depending on your source...) and works with PS3 + PS4 when the external PSU is used (the units that lack an external PSU rarely work with those Sony consoles)