D-terminal support for 240p?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
azmun

D-terminal support for 240p?

Post by azmun »

I recently acquired a small Japanese TV (a Panasonic Tau / flatscreen CRT model TH-15FA5) with the usual composite inputs as well as two s-video ports and one D-Tanshi or D-Terminal plug with a designation D1. I did some quick research and it seems this is basically a component input that supports 480i. Since 240p video signals are electrically equivalent to 480i, does this mean it will also support 240p? Wondering if and hoping this will be compatible with HD Retrovision's SNES and Genesis YPbPr component cables via some adapter.
SuperDeadite

Re: D-terminal support for 240p?

Post by SuperDeadite »

Yes, 240p will work fine. D-Terminal is standard componet video with a different connector. I have used all kinds rgb outputting systems through a rgb-component transcoder on my old Panasonic. It worked fine with most arcade pcbs too.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

What he said ^^

You will need a SCART to Component adapter as well as a component to D-terminal. I like my RGB2COMP from Retrotink and CSY-2100. The cheaper ones have poor color calibration.
Copyright 1987
azmun

Post by azmun »

Hoagtech wrote:You will need a SCART to Component adapter as well as a component to D-terminal.
Not sure why you'd need or recommend an SCART to component adapter when a D-terminal (male) to component (female) plug should be sufficient.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

azmun wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:You will need a SCART to Component adapter as well as a component to D-terminal.
Not sure why you'd need or recommend an SCART to component adapter when a D-terminal (male) to component (female) plug should be sufficient.
To save your wallet from buying HD Retrovision cables. If all your planning on running is a genesis or SNES, you should be fine.

If your looking to expand your consoles. You’ll be glad you invested in SCART and switch instead.
Copyright 1987
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Hoagtech wrote:If your looking to expand your consoles. You’ll be glad you invested in SCART and switch instead.
Or even better, instead of SCART he can use D-Sub, which is also easier to integrate with YPbPr cables/connectors due to the availability of low cost coax "VGA" to RCA or BNC cables.
azmun

Post by azmun »

That makes sense and thanks for the clarification. I've place an order for a component to D-terminal. But guess I'll still need an SCART to Component adapter or transcoder? RetroTINK has a high-end RGB2COMP transcoder but what about those passive adapters? Mind recommending a specific one?

@fernan1234
D-sub might be an interesting option but none of my consoles (save for my DC via the official VGA box) have those cables and I don't even know where to start.
Last edited by azmun on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Probably not very helpful, but I use X Select D4 as my transcoder.