Can GE 20GT612 Be Fitted With RGB Mod?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DotMatrixMoe

Re: Can GE 20GT612 Be Fitted With RGB Mod?

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Since I'm in school and don't have the software needed to edit my schematic... I made a bit of a prediction with a drawing app :lol:

Writing with a mouse (even worse, a trackpad) isn't an easy task. I recall seeing a lot of ground by the OSD, so I think it's being terminated by some resistors I need to remove.

Peppy Hare

Actually it's an aileron roll.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Syntax wrote:Jungle will have more than 28 pins.

Probably the one in the center of the board.

From what I can tell RCA reused a heap of tech in other models, might have luck with this.

Oh yeah, and if you don't mind, please tell me where you got that image.
Surprised you even found an RCA chip datasheet.
Peppy Hare

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Draw a picture of every capacitor and resistor between pin 40 and the OSD chip.

It should be the same for 41 and 42. If not, disregard that picture I posted.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Syntax wrote:Draw a picture of every capacitor and resistor between pin 40 and the OSD chip.

It should be the same for 41 and 42. If not, disregard that picture I posted.
I'm having a bit of trouble identifying their locations. I blew it up in a photo (above and below) and placed them on top of each other. What do you think?
Spoiler
Peppy Hare

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You seriously expect anyone to make heads or tails of that mess of a picture?

How hard is it to find those pins from the underside and trace out their components?

They're even numbered for you.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Ah, you're right. I couldn't make anything out with the image I made, either.

I really wanted to believe the chart may have the correct pins, but looking at them and following the traces, I think not.

Hoping I don't have to pay for a service manual :?
But at this point, I'm clueless!
Last edited by DotMatrixMoe on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

DotMatrixMoe wrote:Ah, you're right. I couldn't make anything out with the image I made, either.

I really wanted to believe the chart may have the correct pins, but looking at them and following the traces, I think not.

Hoping I didn't have to pay for a service manual :?
But at this point, I'm clueless!
U1001 is often the part number, rather than the chip itself. (According to other RCA manuals I'm looking at). But, I think I'm getting somewhere with 34, 35, 36 as that is the OSD RGB in another RCA television.
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

I've decided to just buy a service manual. I don't have any money at the time, but by the end of October I should be able to go for it.
It's even $17!

I'll let you on a secret...
Spoiler
I'll upload it all here. :twisted:
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

I put my television back together to await the day I get my parts, there was a delay :roll: , and purchase the service manual. No more aimless guessing, or my favorite... pin counting! (Talking to you Syntax :P )
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

DotMatrixMoe wrote:I put my television back together to await the day I get my parts, there was a delay :roll: , and purchase the service manual. No more aimless guessing, or my favorite... pin counting! (Talking to you Syntax :P )
Oh, and my television didn't blow up... if you were wondering.
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

I couldn't help but to think that my OSD being yellow (and only yellow, haven't seen any other color from it) may effect the chances of it having a full RGB OSD in. Or, like its predecessors, 2 inputs combined together. Oh well, I'm not too worried because there are plenty of TVs nearby worse case scenario.

There's also unpopulated chips in the CTC148 chassis that have R-y G-y and B-y, so not too worried there either.
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Probably the last update before I get the service menu on about Wednesday, I'm doing 2 things.

-Because my brother is into fighting games and really wants to see a pure RGB signal on a CRT, I'm making a cable for him. Luckily the computer can output 30-60hz, so I'm fine. I have an old VGA cable laying around, so I just need to buy a SCART male socket.

I also finished the "prototype" of my schematic. I just need to add the values of all the resistors and capacitors.

Peppy Hare

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Go research the difference between FPS and refresh rate before you feed 31k into a 15k set and blow it up.

Check out CRT Emudriver, groovy mame, and maybe use diodes to combine sync and drop its voltage to an acceptable level.

Probably a good idea to check out the difference between 50/60hz power frequency and 50/60hz FPS so you don't get that confused also.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Syntax wrote:Go research the difference between FPS and refresh rate before you feed 31k into a 15k set and blow it up.

Check out CRT Emudriver, groovy mame, and maybe use diodes to combine sync and drop its voltage to an acceptable level.

Probably a good idea to check out the difference between 50/60hz power frequency and 50/60hz FPS so you don't get that confused also.
Thanks, you always know when to butt in! Otherwise, I'll probably be smoking dinner.
Last edited by DotMatrixMoe on Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

DotMatrixMoe wrote:
Syntax wrote:Go research the difference between FPS and refresh rate before you feed 31k into a 15k set and blow it up.

Thanks, you always know when to butt in! Otherwise, I'll probably be smoking dinner.
Hope I have diodes laying around. I probably do, but I always lose smaller parts.
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

I think I'm going to make a fool out of myself when I say, can't consumer televisions handle 30hz-60hz refresh rate? I'm reading documentation on CRT Emudriver, and seems to be aimed towards 15hz arcade monitors. And I know that FPS and refresh rates are two different things, the scanning speed vs frames. And also appears that I don't have support due to owning an intel CPU. :?

I'm kind of an ignorant guy, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Peppy Hare

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Most of everything in this thread is wrong sorry to say. Starting with your terminology.

A nutdriver is a socket used to remove bolts, never had to remove a bolt from a TV unless I was fitting it into a cab, but i've used a screwdriver plenty of times on one.
If your TV had bolts my apologies.

15k not 15hz, here's a hint, thats 150000hz.

CRT emu driver does not matter what CPU you use, the GPU matters.

I cant really be bothered going over the other stuff, you need to go back a few steps and do some more research.

Don't get me wrong, you are super excited and full of motivation and I don't want to dampen that at all,
I just want you to have a proper understanding of what you are doing before you start making tutorials and we end up with the blind leading the blind... Or zap yourself.

When the service manual arrives be sure to post it here and ill look at it for you.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Syntax wrote:Most of everything in this thread is wrong sorry to say. Starting with your terminology.

A nutdriver is a socket used to remove bolts, never had to remove a bolt from a TV unless I was fitting it into a cab, but i've used a screwdriver plenty of times on one.

I cant really be bothered going over the other stuff, you need to go back a few steps and do some more research.

Don't get me wrong, you are super excited and full of motivation and I don't want to dampen that at all,
I just want you to have a proper understanding of what you are doing before you start making tutorials and we end up with the blind leading the blind... Or zap yourself.

When the service manual arrives be sure to post it here and ill look at it for you.
Well, alright then. I've caused a lot of frustration, but I hope for the best! :oops:
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Syntax wrote:Most of everything in this thread is wrong sorry to say. Starting with your terminology.

Oh and they did have bolts. I guess I'm right about one thing at the least! :lol:
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Ah, and I also see my error on the refresh rate. I didn't notice the "K" in khz.

Just to inform you, I meant my integrated intel graphics. It's not easy to come by a GPU over here.
I don't know if it's possible, seeing that CRT Emudriver really is just a modification of AMD catalyst, and might have to pick up a GPU/Converter...
but I'm already out of budget at this point.

I'll continue on with the mod, of course. But I don't know if I can connect it to the PC at the moment. Does anyone have a suggestion as of how I can
test the output of the video?
Last edited by DotMatrixMoe on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

On second thought, I have an old PC hooked up with an Athlon + Radeon Graphics. Though it might run like a mess... Dreamcast is gorgeous on it with the right settings.
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

DotMatrixMoe wrote:On second thought, I have an old PC hooked up with an Athlon + Radeon Graphics. Though it might run like a mess... Dreamcast is gorgeous on it with the right settings.
Actually I can stay on the Emu Driver route! (Phew) About the cable, however. I might make one, or purchase one. Depends on the amount of work I want to do. :P

Edit:
Spoiler
I've decided to make one due to how cheap it is. I already cut a VGA cord I have in my house. Now I just need a SCART male socket and I'm good to go.

Color meanings (OF MY VGA CABLE, COLOR VARIES):
Black 5V (Perfect for the mux mod)
Yellow Hsync
Red Vsync
Brown Ground

B: Shielded Blue
G: Shielded White (I know, right?)
R: Shielded Red
Peppy Hare

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

5v is not always available on pin 9 of the HD-DB15 VGA plug so check with a multimeter that your GPU is supplying it.
Personally I stopped doing this, and install a switch to turn blanking on, it saves so many headaches later on when making cables or testing systems.

Follow this for combining sync, use the first diagram that's just diodes.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm

Ah you had an Intel integrated GPU, makes sense now.

Do you have any consoles that output RGB? I use a beat up old SNES for that.
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Syntax wrote:5v is not always available on pin 9 of the HD-DB15 VGA plug so check with a multimeter that your GPU is supplying it.
Personally I stopped doing this, and install a switch to turn blanking on, it saves so many headaches later on when making cables or testing systems.

Follow this for combining sync, use the first diagram that's just diodes.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm

Ah you had an Intel integrated GPU, makes sense now.

Do you have any consoles that output RGB? I use a beat up old SNES for that.
Damn, I had a bud who had one.. but I refused simply because they lived too far. I regret it.
I have a push button switch laying around, so if that's what I have to do... so be it.

(Oh, and measuring for 5V will be easy, since I already stripped a VGA cable. and found the colors association with the pins.)
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Just in case I have to, I found 5V in the CRT, and I'm about to desolder a sick looking pushbutton switch I had laying around. So I'm prepared if I have to.

I had an idea; the push state is forced blanking, and the released is auto switching. (Pin 16 of SCART) Sounds cool?
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Getting the service manual tomorrow!
Peppy Hare

DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Okay finally, I bought the service manual.
Go nuts, Syntax!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... HiNZ9l6meA

A part of me thinks I can't RGB mod it, but I want to hear from the experts first.
Peppy Hare

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Yeah, you're right I think.
Internal OSD with no other inputs to the jungle that I can see.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Syntax wrote:Yeah, you're right I think.
Internal OSD with no other inputs to the jungle that I can see.
I think it’s actually a monochrome OSD from the micom.

…but no go for RGB mod other than neck.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

I do notice pin 11-13 on the jungle, but am I wrong?

Give me a moment to screenshot that part.
Peppy Hare