Magnetized case?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HoldyourfireImahuman

Magnetized case?

Post by HoldyourfireImahuman »

So, I realized that when my pvm’s case is on, the geometry is imperfect (slopes down in the top left and slopes up in the bottom left) but when I remove the case, it corrects itself to near perfection.
I can literally see the change as I slide the case on.
Anyone else experienced this? I tried degaussing the case against a large consumer tv but didn’t seem to make any difference. Any thoughts ?
Thanks.
MKL

Re: Magnetized case?

Post by MKL »

It goes without saying that a case made of metal can be magnetized. Even some manuals mention that it needs to be demagnetized:

https://i.postimg.cc/jSm16Dn4/demag.jpg
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Well, it is a fact that ferrous metals such as steel can be temporarily magnetized by way of prolonged proximity to a reasonably strong magnetic field. But it should not, by my limited understanding, be able to be so strong for so long after being removed from the source magnetic field.

There is a tool to measure EMF that you should be able to use to get a real number on just how magnetic your top case is or is not:

https://www.amazon.com/Electromagnetic- ... 3242138832

I must say though, that it would be odd for a PVM to be kept so close to a strong magnetic field, due to the influence that they have on CRT monitors. I'm also drawing a blank as to what would even produce a field that would be used in the same room as a PVM. Loudspeakers produce powerful enough fields to mess with CRTs, but the sort that you would typically find in a professional A/V environment are shielded to keep that magnetic field inside of the speaker cabinet. And they are usually not powerful enough to create a residual magnetic effect anyway.

Odd things happen though. Maybe it was used in a medical environment, like in the same room as an MRI machine. MRIs use really super ultra powerful electromagnets. Thinking about it, I would bet that this is the case. You probably will not be able to correct it.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Might not be magnetized, but it might be acting as a ferrous "core", slightly changing the inductance of the DY, just like permalloy strips do. You can see the same effect if you put an unmagnetized iron rod or nail right next to the DY coils. Really odd that that could be happening though, I mean the case was designed for that case.

As for the case itself, hardened metal more readily holds its magnetism than softer metal. Its very unlikely that the case is hard enough to get and stay magnetized.