Mister FPGA Dsub15 to Scart jumpy picture

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

Mister FPGA Dsub15 to Scart jumpy picture

Post by Rock Man »

Grabbed some high quality cables from retro access. Unfortunately I can't get a stable picture.

This is what's in my ini settings:
Spoiler
[MiSTer]
;VIDEO MODE
video_mode = 2
;VIDEO SETTINGS
menu_pal = 0
dvi_mode = 0
fb_terminal = 1
fb_size = 0
video_info = 0
hdmi_limited = 0
vsync_adjust = 1
;VGA SETTINGS
forced_scandoubler = 0
ypbpr = 0
composite_sync = 1
vga_scaler = 0
direct_video = 0
;VIDEO SCALING
vscale_mode = 0
vscale_border = 0
;AUDIO SETTINGS
hdmi_audio_96k = 0
volumectl = 0
;MISC SETTINGS
key_menu_as_rgui = 0
rbf_hide_datecode = 0
;bootscreen = 0
recents = 1
gamepad_defaults = 1
keyrah_mode = 0x18d80002
reset_combo = 0
osd_timeout = 30
bootcore_timeout = 10
Tried it with VGA Scaler both off and on in the options. Made sure direct video is set to zero since the input isn't HDMI. What am I doing wrong? The set-up in question involves a SCART matrix switcher and SCART to BNC cable with built-in sync stripper. Where is the conversion being lost along the way or is this an issue with my ini settings? The TV in question is a PVM M2U20.
fernan1234

Re: Mister FPGA Dsub15 to Scart jumpy picture

Post by fernan1234 »

Ini settings look fine. I'm guessing you also already tried bypassing the SCART switcher box to rule that out as the problem source. Maybe your problem is the sync stripper. That should hardly be needed for anything. It's best to put those on the individual source cables that happen to need them, not on the BNC breakout cable that feeds all sources into your monitor. PVMs don't need sync stripping anyway, they take all kinds and levels of sync.

Do you have a "VGA" to BNC cable? You could try connecting that directly from the MiSTer's IO board to your PVM.
Rock Man

Re: Mister FPGA Dsub15 to Scart jumpy picture

Post by Rock Man »

fernan1234 wrote:Ini settings look fine. I'm guessing you also already tried bypassing the SCART switcher box to rule that out as the problem source. Maybe your problem is the sync stripper. That should hardly be needed for anything. It's best to put those on the individual source cables that happen to need them, not on the BNC breakout cable that feeds all sources into your monitor. PVMs don't need sync stripping anyway, they take all kinds and levels of sync.

Do you have a "VGA" to BNC cable? You could try connecting that directly from the MiSTer's IO board to your PVM.
It's two switchers my otaku SCART switch is primary, then that goes into the shinybow. I suppose I could try it on the otaku one instead of the shinybow since it's just a dumb passthrough switcher. Yeah, I have a lot of consoles and get fed up with having to unplug and replug them which can wear down the leads, that's why I prefer everything simply locked into the 2 switchers for maximum convenience. If I want to play the PS1 PSIO BAM! Push of a button. If I feel like playing the Saturn Phoebe just press a button, SNES same thing.

The sync stripper directly benefits every console I have except the RGB N64 and it works with my switchers. I'd hate to find out it's causing problems in general with my PVM. I actually didn't try connecting the thing by itself so I'll do that, there are a couple other SCART to BNC leads I have I'll try those too.

EDIT: Figured it out turns out it was the stripper cable, I used a normal SCART to BNC adapter cable and it worked perfectly.