PVM-14M2U 2 discoloration spots issue and repair

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TheNintendad64

PVM-14M2U 2 discoloration spots issue and repair

Post by TheNintendad64 »

https://imgur.com/a/rgr2B3V

Hey guys,

So i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of next steps here. If you look at the attached pictures, you will see I have a large discoloration along the top and another one in the bottom right corner. I opened up the case and adjusted the purity rings first. I found that I can remove the spots, but when I adjust the rings to remove one, the other one gets worse. So one gets worse as the other gets better.

I unseated and reseated the yoke and I find the same problem, when I adjust it in such a way that one blob is fixed, the other gets worse.

Am I at the point of tearing this down and starting to replace caps? Does anyone have other suggestions? I have a degaussing wand but that wasn't particularly effective. Thanks for any advice!
SavagePencil

Re: PVM-14M2U 2 discoloration spots issue and repair

Post by SavagePencil »

Use a degaussing coil
TheNintendad64

Post by TheNintendad64 »

SavagePencil wrote:Use a degaussing coil
So to be clear, you mean try an actual degaussing coil instead of the cheap wand I have? Thanks for the reply.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You can try a proper degaussing coil. Otherwise, magnets. Get some disc or strip magnets at the local art store, try putting them on the glass tube (on the inside the chassis) and see if you can find a spot that helps. When you do, stack the appropriate number of magnets until the issue is corrected. Then duct tape it to the tube.
haptick

Post by haptick »

Since they're in the corners and you said purity ring adjustment can't fix it definitely try putting some purity magnets (the small round ones) on the tube around those corners.
Also check if the tube had some existing magnets there too because it's possible they fell off too.