New OLED purchasing guidance.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hoagtech

New OLED purchasing guidance.

Post by Hoagtech »

It’s been awhile since I bought new TV and I’d like to go big and OLED.

The LG lineup have been a gold standard for the last few years and I’m wondering if the new SONY OLED’s have gotten better..

I’m particularly interested in the 83” A90J as it has better viewing angles and this would be in my well lit living room.

Rtings link:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a90j-oled

I got a Retrotink 5x Pro and would like to know if their would be any compatibility issues

What do you guys think. Is SONY finally able to compete with LG?
Copyright 1987
fernan1234

Re: New OLED purchasing guidance.

Post by fernan1234 »

For the latest console/PC gaming, the LGs are better, for everything else including upscaled retro gaming the Sony TVs will be better (except lag though the difference is small for 1080p@60).
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

fernan1234 wrote:For the latest console/PC gaming, the LGs are better, for everything else including upscaled retro gaming the Sony TVs will be better (except lag though the difference is small for 1080p@60).
Not to pester but can you elaborate what makes the LG’s better for the latest console gaming? I have a gaming PC as my media center and plan on using my Series X and Retrotink for 240p upscaling.

What features would I be giving up by buying the 83” Sony?
Copyright 1987
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Hoagtech wrote:Not to pester but can you elaborate what makes the LG’s better for the latest console gaming? I have a gaming PC as my media center and plan on using my Series X and Retrotink for 240p upscaling.

What features would I be giving up by buying the 83” Sony?
The LG's support Freesync, ALLM and all that modern stuff. The Sony's I think can do ALLM for PS5 only, and freesync support is supposed to be added in a future firmware but who knows if/when it will be the case.

That's about it. The Sony's have significantly better picture quality, and can also get brighter in both HDR and SDR, the latter matters for retro scalers, especially if you want to add scanline effects.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

fernan1234 wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:
The LG's support Freesync, ALLM and all that modern stuff. The Sony's I think can do ALLM for PS5 only, and freesync support is supposed to be added in a future firmware but who knows if/when it will be the case.

That's about it. The Sony's have significantly better picture quality, and can also get brighter in both HDR and SDR, the latter matters for retro scalers, especially if you want to add scanline effects.
Thanks a lot. That definitely makes me lean towards the SONY.

Rtings also noted this handles slow panning scenes poorly and has “stutter”

One of the features I found useful is “HDR Brightness Preferred” mode which makes the darker scenes from HDR content tolerable.

And the fact that Sony said they were going to be releasing Variable refresh in an update gives me hope
Copyright 1987
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Hoagtech wrote:Rtings also noted this handles slow panning scenes poorly and has “stutter”
This kind of panning stutter is an issue with the LG OLED panels (which Sony TVs also use), it can be helped using motion interpolation, which both TVs can do, if you accept some degree of "soap opera effect". It's mainly a problem with low framerate (movie 24fps) content.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

fernan1234 wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:Rtings also noted this handles slow panning scenes poorly and has “stutter”
This kind of panning stutter is an issue with the LG OLED panels (which Sony TVs also use), it can be helped using motion interpolation, which both TVs can do, if you accept some degree of "soap opera effect". It's mainly a problem with low framerate (movie 24fps) content.
I wouldn't call that an issue. The stuttering you are talking about is much more noticeable on OLED because of its near instantaneous pixel response, where LCD generally smear the image a lot more.

For low framerate content I think it's pretty noticeable on OLED, but I really don't mind much and I still prefer not having any kind of motion interpolation enabled, but YMMW :)
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

A90J is probably the best for gaming because of it using both the new panel and the heatsink. So all in all the odds of burn in are reduced, and longevity increased. Especially make sure to turn off the OLED light (or what ever it's called on the Sony) and dial back the brightness a tad (to like 40~45) and you should be set to around 100 nits standard. You can probably play SDR games with those settings and never really worry about burn in. For HDR it's still going to last longer than the LG thanks to the heatsink.

By the way the A90J can do ALLM for all consoles, the systems are recognized when first used and can be setup after that. As for VRR yes it's supposed to be added sometime later this year but has yet to come.

Picture quality on the A90J is just insane. I've never seen anything like it. Watching UHD's on it is heavenly. Also yes I disable all the motion features. Never been bothered by any kind of judder
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Taiyaki wrote:A90J is probably the best for gaming because of it using both the new panel and the heatsink. So all in all the odds of burn in are reduced, and longevity increased. Especially make sure to turn off the OLED light (or what ever it's called on the Sony) and dial back the brightness a tad (to like 40~45) and you should be set to around 100 nits standard. You can probably play SDR games with those settings and never really worry about burn in. For HDR it's still going to last longer than the LG thanks to the heatsink.

By the way the A90J can do ALLM for all consoles, the systems are recognized when first used and can be setup after that. As for VRR yes it's supposed to be added sometime later this year but has yet to come.

Picture quality on the A90J is just insane. I've never seen anything like it. Watching UHD's on it is heavenly. Also yes I disable all the motion features. Never been bothered by any kind of judder
I’m sold on the Sony after that. Off to Amazon..
Copyright 1987
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

How does the price compare to an LG G1? I would still say it's the better pick:
  • Lower input lag
  • VRR support + GSync certified
  • 1440p @ 120Hz support. I have an RTX 3080 and 4K 120Hz is still out of the question for many games. Some have resolution scaling so you can output at 4K but render at lower resolutions, others don't. Old games with poor UI scaling are unreadable at 4K, for example I play TF2 at 1440p 120Hz so I can actually read the menus.
  • HDMI 2.1 (though 40Gb/s I think) on all 4 HDMI inputs, Sony has it on 2.
  • G1 still has new panel so brightness and viewing angles should be comparable.
I don't trust any TV manufacturer to add a feature later, but that's up to you.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

bobrocks95 wrote:How does the price compare to an LG G1? I would still say it's the better pick:
  • Lower input lag
  • 1440p @ 120Hz support. I have an RTX 3080 and 4K 120Hz is still out of the question for many games. Some have resolution scaling so you can output at 4K but render at lower resolutions, others don't. Old games with poor UI scaling are unreadable at 4K, for example I play TF2 at 1440p 120Hz so I can actually read the menus.
The input lag was a tough one but my Sony KDL65W950b had 18ms and I didn’t notice any lag. The A90J has even less (16ms)

And the G1 only comes in 77”, I like the thought going up in size to 83”.

I ordered it a few minutes ago but I think I can cancel the order in the next 24hrs from Amazon as they put my fulfillment a week out.

That price point for G1 is excellent at half the price

$3995 for the LG 77

$7998 for the Sony
Copyright 1987
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

If money is not an issue, and if modern gaming is not the priority, then there really is no question, stick with the Sony.

That said, if I were in the market for a new Sony TV and had a budget up to that amount, I'd rather get this or wait for a price cut on it: https://electronics.sony.com/tv-video/t ... /p/xr85z9j

Yes, it's LED but it's 8K and 85 inches, and the dimming zone amount and algorithm is supposed to be very good, so in most non-pattern, actual video/game scenes blacks will be close to as good as OLEDs, and then everything else will be better.
(Edit: except perhaps lag, don't have info on that).
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

fernan1234 wrote:If money is not an issue, and if modern gaming is not the priority, then there really is no question, stick with the Sony.

That said, if I were in the market for a new Sony TV and had a budget up to that amount, I'd rather get this or wait for a price cut on it: https://electronics.sony.com/tv-video/t ... /p/xr85z9j

Yes, it's LED but it's 8K and 85 inches, and the dimming zone amount and algorithm is supposed to be very good, so in most non-pattern, actual video/game scenes blacks will be close to as good as OLEDs, and then everything else will be better.
(Edit: except perhaps lag, don't have info on that).
Yeah but what are you going to watch on that thing? The demo on repeat?..

I have an eye for TN panel flaws and I have a feeling that thing would bug me personally but it is a nice 85”...

Local dimming was a feature on my last Sony XE900 that I disabled it would randomly light up black background and give me a flashlight effect. I’m looking forward to individual pixel control of the OLED
Copyright 1987
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Hoagtech wrote:Yeah but what are you going to watch on that thing? The demo on repeat?..
Sure there's really no native 8k content, but the pixel density is basically double, and 4k content upscaled to 8k should look really good, according to some better than 4k on a 4k display at the same size and viewing distance.

And dimming zone amounts and algorithms have gotten better over time, this one is supposed to be really nice, but I can't say I've seen it myself, and of course nothing will beat individual pixel dimming. Sounds like this is not the right option for you though so just go with the A90J.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

A $9,000 8K LCD sounds like the worst investment a person could ever make lol. There's not going to be 8K content anyways. Movie studios barely bought in to 4K. Broadcast TV is still almost exclusively 1080i...
Hoagtech wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:How does the price compare to an LG G1? I would still say it's the better pick:
  • Lower input lag
The input lag was a tough one but my Sony KDL65W950b had 18ms and I didn’t notice any lag. The A90J has even less (16ms)

I ordered it a few minutes ago but I think I can cancel the order in the next 24hrs from Amazon as they put my fulfillment a week out.

$3995 for the LG 77

$7998 for the Sony
The input lag is definitely close enough to not make a huge difference! The rest definitely tips things to the LG imo. I can see having more than 2 HDMI 2.1 devices before I have an HDMI 2.1 capable A/V receiver.

Size is interesting, since Sony's buying panels from LG anyways, though when you break it down to $4000 for 6 inches and a 7.8% size increase I dunno, that's up to you. I didn't pay $100 more for the 55 inch Sony W7, I got the 50 inch lol.

Surprised LG isn't offering that size somewhere in the line though, no way Sony's custom ordering it? Does Phillips do an 83 inch in Europe?

EDIT: Ah, the LG C1 has an 83 inch option. I feel like I heard it doesn't have the new panel the G1 has though.

EDIT 2: HDR game mode brightness measurements from rtings for the C1 and A90J are within 60 cd of each other. Non-game mode is a greater difference, though the Sony has a whopping 152ms of lag at 4K with game mode off, so I'd imagine lip sync issues are going to crop up for film modes. $5500 on Amazon.

IDK, I'm sure they're both nice TVs, I'm not the person buying one.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

bobrocks95 wrote:A $9,000 8K LCD sounds like the worst investment a person could ever make lol. There's not going to be 8K content anyways. Movie studios barely bought in to 4K. Broadcast TV is still almost exclusively 1080i...
Hoagtech wrote:
  • Lower input lag

$3995 for the LG 77

$7998 for the Sony
The input lag is definitely close enough to not make a huge difference! The rest definitely tips things to the LG imo. I can see having more than 2 HDMI 2.1 devices before I have an HDMI 2.1 capable A/V receiver.

Size is interesting, since Sony's buying panels from LG anyways, though when you break it down to $4000 for 6 inches and a 7.8% size increase I dunno, that's up to you. I didn't pay $100 more for the 55 inch Sony W7, I got the 50 inch lol.

Surprised LG isn't offering that size somewhere in the line though, no way Sony's custom ordering it? Does Phillips do an 83 inch in Europe?

EDIT: Ah, the LG C1 has an 83 inch option. I feel like I heard it doesn't have the new panel the G1 has though.

EDIT 2: HDR game mode brightness measurements from rtings for the C1 and A90J are within 60 cd of each other. Non-game mode is a greater difference, though the Sony has a whopping 152ms of lag at 4K with game mode off, so I'd imagine lip sync issues are going to crop up for film modes. $5500 on Amazon.

IDK, I'm sure they're both nice TVs, I'm not the person buying one.
That 83” C1 is definitely giving me buyers remorse due to input lag (10 vs 16ms) I like the HDR brightness preferred option for my HDR content on the Sony more than the Automatic Dynamic Contrast mode of the LG set.

They did confirm the C1 does not use the 2021 LG EVO panel and the Sony does which gives you better viewing angles and have a large well lit living room..

I trust Sony to update it as they said it would be coming in a future update, unless they have a bad track record of false promises, I would be inclined to think they are true to their word.

I’m torn between the C1 and A90J for these reasons.

I prefer to game on my desktop PC on my desk for most games, but will be using my media center PC for controller games like the new Far Cry and such so the 120hz 1440p support will not be an important feature to me.

What is important is how it will handle upscaled 240p at 1200p, but it sounds like that won’t be too much of an issue.

I hope it supports OSSC pro 6x as I will be using it for Rotated vertical arcade shooters.
Copyright 1987
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

bobrocks95 wrote:A $9,000 8K LCD sounds like the worst investment a person could ever make lol. There's not going to be 8K content anyways. Movie studios barely bought in to 4K. Broadcast TV is still almost exclusively 1080i...
Yeah I actually wouldn't buy it, but I'm coming at it from a personal view on the importance of higher pixel density, as someone who tends to sit close to screens even if they are big, and imagining what I would do if I had ~8-9k to blow on a TV right now, I'd see more value in getting something more cutting-edge.

BTW this Phillips OLED looks pretty nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1moXE8QeQ
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Hoagtech wrote:That 83” C1 is definitely giving me buyers remorse due to input lag (10 vs 16ms) I like the HDR brightness preferred option for my HDR content on the Sony more than the Automatic Dynamic Contrast mode of the LG set.

They did confirm the C1 does not use the 2021 LG EVO panel and the Sony does which gives you better viewing angles and have a large well lit living room..

I trust Sony to update it as they said it would be coming in a future update, unless they have a bad track record of false promises, I would be inclined to think they are true to their word.

I’m torn between the C1 and A90J for these reasons.

I prefer to game on my desktop PC on my desk for most games, but will be using my media center PC for controller games like the new Far Cry and such so the 120hz 1440p support will not be an important feature to me.

What is important is how it will handle upscaled 240p at 1200p, but it sounds like that won’t be too much of an issue.

I hope it supports OSSC pro 6x as I will be using it for Rotated vertical arcade shooters.
Maybe you can check out either in a store somewhere. I'm not in a super bright room but HDR on my B9 is plenty bright enough for me, so I've never quite understood the drive for brighter and brighter. It'd be nice to nix tone mapping altogether just to avoid errors, but 500 nits is enough to make my retinas scream so eh.

Don't see how viewing angles could get any better. Almost 90 degrees horizontal from the screen I don't notice any color shift. It's miles and miles away from a TN or VA LCD.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

From what I understand, the LG takes the win in input lag @ 10ms vs 16 for the Sony, but I will say Ive seen both at Best Buy and as awesome as the LG is, the Sony looked even better.

VRR has other uses than modern games though-- I understand some MAME builds can use VRR to match exact refresh rates of various non standard refresh rate games. Sounds like a cool feature, but I dont have any experience with it.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

How is Sony's BFI implementation? On the CX it works great and it's a must for classic gaming. Also keep in mind all of that judder and motion interpolation stuff goes out the door when you have the sets in game mode. You don't use motion smoothing with gaming. Not only does it increase your input lag, a lot, it also look awful.

For movies? Yeah, Sony is better but I am not sure the price is worth it. Sony is behind on everything other than interpolation. Once you add in the price on top of that I'd rather get an LG today and a new LG in 3-4 years which should be better than anything out today all for the same price as buying just the Sony today. Sony really needs to get their shit together in regards to gaming (VRR!) so we can get VRR on the PS5.

LGs tend to handle the oddball resolutions and timings of classic consoles like the SNES through the OSSC too. The CX handles literally everything I can throw at it with the OSSC. My RT5X hasn't shipped or shown up yet so I can't speak to that but I suspect it'll work well.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

From what I gathered from the comments so far is..

G1 is the best and uses the new EVO panel but does not come in a 83” option.

The C1 83” has a ton of value at 2/3 of the price nonetheless and still beats the Sony in input lag and current VRR support, but lacks out of box color uniformity, HDR brightness, slightly less brightness, and lacks the new LG Evo panel.

The Sony seems like the win for me atm but if someone else waits for the next LG 83” generation it will be a much better value and have lower input lag

That being said. I’m content with my decision of purchase..
Copyright 1987
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

G1 is not the best. It's a phenomenal OLED and you can't go wrong for the price, but it doesn't have a heatsink. The A90J has the new panel and the heatsink. The only major thing the G1 has over the Sony is out of the box VRR. It does also have a minuscule advantage in input lag, but it's not a difference that one would notice in my opinion.

The A90J will have better near black uniformity too which if you're ocd might be an added advantage (although of course at 65 and 83 inches don't expect complete perfection).

Generally speaking the A90J and the G1 could be considered the first of a new generation of OLED's. I've seen the words OLED 2.0 circulate around. It's that much of a game changer.

On the Sony side the improvements are monumental. Among these are the end of ABL which used to plague older models, full bandwidth hdmi 2.1, TV led Dolby Vision, the latter two are aspects Sony was playing catch up, but when you combine with their master series QC and accuracy makes for something big. Then you have big improvements on near black uniformity and banding compared to previous years. The new panel allowing for the brighter highlights reaching as high as 800~850 nits in accurate modes (950~1000 once unlocked, although personally I don't use those settings), and around 175+ full screen post break in (most reviewers weren't aware that this new panel actually gets brighter after a few hundred hours). The A90J actually manages to stay relatively cool which is remarkable, and this is achieved thanks to the combination of the new LG panel and the heatsink. Cooler panel of course means better longevity as mentioned above.

If money is not an issue I think anyone should pick the A90J any day of the week, unless VRR is an absolute deal breaker for your needs.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Does Sony by now offer something like's LG's free scaling, where you can adjust your aspect ratio and fill ratio on both axis completely independent of each other? While VRR is more a thing for the modern gamer, I think the free scaling options was/is one of the biggest features in years for us retro-oriented gamers.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Check out the HDTV Test channel on YouTube, Vincent does a pretty comprehensive comparison of the two TVs and what their strengths and weaknesses are. IIRC, LG is the overall better pick for gaming as others have said, primarily because of slightly lower input lag, better color handling with lower posterization, and better feature support (like Dolby Vision at 4k 120 Hz, VRR, and ALLM).

Here is the comparison (C1 vs A80J): https://youtu.be/t1K4KN-HIn0

And here is the A80J vs A90J: https://youtu.be/yTpo1ggdmts
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I seemed to recall the Sony's were terrible with the OSSC compatibility, only going to 2x.

Not sure how later scalers work but I assume if they put a 960p image in a 1080p frame it will work on the Sony fine.

I bought my LG especially for OSSC compatibility, in the event I ever bought one. Which I did not as it did not give the plug n play experience I wanted.

If modern consoles are all you want to play then the Sony would win on PQ. Side by side I have seen the latest TV's side by side and the Sony wins on PQ, albeit it was more expensive as well.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

thebigcheese wrote:Check out the HDTV Test channel on YouTube, Vincent does a pretty comprehensive comparison of the two TVs and what their strengths and weaknesses are. IIRC, LG is the overall better pick for gaming as others have said, primarily because of slightly lower input lag, better color handling with lower posterization, and better feature support (like Dolby Vision at 4k 120 Hz, VRR, and ALLM).

Here is the comparison (C1 vs A80J): https://youtu.be/t1K4KN-HIn0

And here is the A80J vs A90J: https://youtu.be/yTpo1ggdmts
Dolby Vision is not of much use for gaming so I never thought about that, but yes the Sony doesn't support 120hz Dolby Vision. In my opinion this shouldn't matter, as it's not likely to become a thing in the lifetime of this set. There's one other flaw on the Sony side and that's that it only has two HDMI ports that support 2.1. For most people getting a receiver or a splitter is needed anyway, so it's a non issue, but for those with exactly 3 or 4 systems who don't want receivers or splitters that can be a minus.

In terms of PQ the Sony wins hands down for sure (but that's not to say the G1 isn't incredible too).
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

neorichieb1971 wrote: If modern consoles are all you want to play then the Sony would win on PQ. Side by side I have seen the latest TV's side by side and the Sony wins on PQ, albeit it was more expensive as well.
I don't know what store you went to, but if they were running on default settings this comparison isn't really fair.

The only way to properly judge PQ is to painstakingly calibrate each set to come as close to the industry standard as possible. Only then is it fair to compare. Most TVs look awful with their default store-settings, some more than others.

While I don't doubt that Sony typically can come closer to the calibration standard than LG, I think it's fair to say that when calibrated the LGs will be more than good enough to please most critical viewers. With pretty damn accurate colors and whitebalance all things considered.

I bought my TV for gaming so the LG was a no-brainer. Especially with its superb OSSC compatibility. If I wanted an OLED for movies, I would probably buy Panasonic, but unfortunately for OP they are not sold in the US afaik.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Konsolkongen wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote: If modern consoles are all you want to play then the Sony would win on PQ. Side by side I have seen the latest TV's side by side and the Sony wins on PQ, albeit it was more expensive as well.
I don't know what store you went to, but if they were running on default settings this comparison isn't really fair.

The only way to properly judge PQ is to painstakingly calibrate each set to come as close to the industry standard as possible. Only then is it fair to compare. Most TVs look awful with their default store-settings, some more than others.

While I don't doubt that Sony typically can come closer to the calibration standard than LG, I think it's fair to say that when calibrated the LGs will be more than good enough to please most critical viewers. With pretty damn accurate colors and whitebalance all things considered.

I bought my TV for gaming so the LG was a no-brainer. Especially with its superb OSSC compatibility. If I wanted an OLED for movies, I would probably buy Panasonic, but unfortunately for OP they are not sold in the US afaik.
Actually some Panasonic models are sold in the US exclusively through a retailer caller Value Electronics. I don't think the Panasonic is the king for movies anymore as the 2021 Panasonics opted to not use the new OLED panel which is found in the A90J and the G1. Panasonic also pushes the white sub pixel so color accuracy in hdr takes a hit, where as the Sony doesn't. On top of that their 2021 offerings have taken some bad reviews for having various cons that they didn't have before (which seems to be the result of using the new mediatek chip). Although in 2020 and early 2021 there's no doubt Panasonic had the best OLED offering on the market for movies.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

If VRR is in anyway important to you I wouldn’t be trusting Sony to add it any time soon. It was promised on their 2020 TVs a year ago at this point. Still missing from the PS5 too.

I have 2 LG CX’s and love them but of course there is no perfect TV, the new retrotink 5x’s scanline effects would benefit from a touch more brightness.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Fudoh wrote:Does Sony by now offer something like's LG's free scaling, where you can adjust your aspect ratio and fill ratio on both axis completely independent of each other? While VRR is more a thing for the modern gamer, I think the free scaling options was/is one of the biggest features in years for us retro-oriented gamers.
Interesting. I’ll find out tonight when I unbox.

I’m unaware of the benefits of that feature. Is it beneficial to stretch either axis or would you have scaling artifacts on one of the axis of you were outside your integer?

Copyright 1987