New OLED purchasing guidance.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: New OLED purchasing guidance.

Post by bobrocks95 »

You've got your typical bilinear or similar filtering going on for any input lower than the native res of the set. In other words, there's no pixel crawl or anything when you stretch with the TV settings on my LG. Nice for aspect ratio correction or zooming when you need it.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Hoagtech wrote:
Fudoh wrote:Does Sony by now offer something like's LG's free scaling, where you can adjust your aspect ratio and fill ratio on both axis completely independent of each other? While VRR is more a thing for the modern gamer, I think the free scaling options was/is one of the biggest features in years for us retro-oriented gamers.
Interesting. I’ll find out tonight when I unbox.

I’m unaware of the benefits of that feature. Is it beneficial to stretch either axis or would you have scaling artifacts on one of the axis of you were outside your integer?

Damn man, just realized I bought 45 TVs for about 1/4 price of that 1 TV. I tell you what-- I'll trade you 10 of my Hitachi dual scans for your Bravia. Lets talk. :mrgreen:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I’m unaware of the benefits of that feature. Is it beneficial to stretch either axis or would you have scaling artifacts on one of the axis of you were outside your integer?
since you're not using an external 4K scaler, you're looking at a bilinear re-scale on the display's end anyway. And LGs scaling is quite nice, so you don't get any visible artefacts, even with scanlined images. The feature allows for easy aspect ratio control beyond the limitations of your scaler. Probably not a must, but nice to have.

And gratulations on the purchase!
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Fudoh wrote:
since you're not using an external 4K scaler, you're looking at a bilinear re-scale on the display's end anyway. And LGs scaling is quite nice, so you don't get any visible artefacts, even with scanlined images. The feature allows for easy aspect ratio control beyond the limitations of your scaler. Probably not a must, but nice to have.

And gratulations on the purchase!
Ahh. So displaying the true aspect ratio of retro gaming without locking into integer pixel grid doesn’t look like crap because of the higher pixel count during horizontal clock phase?

I’m wondering if you would still see the brightness color bursts in between uneven pixel landing.

That sounds awesome. I’ll find out soon when I remember to grab the 5x pro from work

@Josh128

CRT will always be #1 for playing 15-31 kHz gaming. I’m trying to find a middle ground experience for the living room. Sometimes you can’t make it to your “Cave” after a days work..
Copyright 1987
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Yeah as much as I love OLED's for new games and movies, nothing can top a CRT for classic retro games, at least not at the moment.

Congrats on receiving your A90J, you're going to love it. My mind was utterly blown away when I first saw one in person. I still sometimes find myself in disbelief over how good the picture quality is on those.