D-Sub 15-Pin vs Component and Scart

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Odolwa

D-Sub 15-Pin vs Component and Scart

Post by Odolwa »

This thread is intended to continue from a point that was raised in a previous thread of mine titled "Component vs Scart".
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68553
In that thread, it was mentioned by fernan1234 that DSub 15-Pin was an overall better standard than both Component and Scart. I have several questions that I'd like to ask.

First, what is DSub 15-Pin, and is it the same as VGA?

I'm assuming that DSub 15-Pin cables could be made for consoles like the NES (RGB modded), SNES, or N64 (RGB modded), but would it also be possible to make DSub 15-Pin cables for the GameCube or PS2? The GameCube is a tricky one, because it uses a Digital-Out port for its Official Component/D-Terminal cables, but the Pal GameCube can use both Scart and HD Retrovision Component cables to output RGB or Official GameCube Component/D-Terminal cables (plus Nintendo AV cables for sound) to output YCbCr and progressive scan 480p. How would you be able to get sound from the GameCube using DSub 15-Pin? What would you do if you were trying to connect it to a DSub 15-Pin switcher?

fernan1234 mentioned that there are "cheap manual and automatic "VGA" switch boxes", could someone point me to an example of one that can take 5 inputs or more and output in VGA as well?

Why doesn't superg make a gdsub15sw DSub 15-Pin switcher?

Is it possible to make a DSub 15-Pin to Scart coupler?

Based on the previous thread, I could conclude that the picture quality of C-Sync Scart is just a little better than YPbPr Component from the HD Retrovision cables, but does DSub 15-Pin have superior picture quality to both, or at least equal picture quality to Scart?
Last edited by Odolwa on Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Re: D-Sub 15-Pin vs Component and Scart

Post by fernan1234 »

Thanks for the mentions! Let me take on some of these questions.
Odolwa wrote:In that thread, it was mentioned by fernan1234 that DSub 15-Pin was an overall better standard than both Component and Scart.
It's not a different standard, but rather a different connector type. DSub 15-pin connectors (also often called "VGA" connectors) can pass on whatever signal type that you pass through their pins, just like SCART can. You can pass RGBHV (also called "VGA" as a signal standard), RGBS, RGsB, RsGsBs, YPbPr (aka "Component), etc.

Everything else being equal on the cables (build quality, shielding, coax, etc.), the video quality from the signals will be the same between a DSub15 cable and a SCART cable. My main claim in that other topic and elsewhere is that compared to SCART as a connector, DSub15 is superior, based on reasons that I and some others here have gone into and don't need repeating now.
Odolwa wrote:I'm assuming that DSub 15-Pin cables could be made for consoles like the NES (RGB modded), SNES, or N64 (RGB modded),
Yes indeed, and recently the best gaming cable manufacturer, retro-access, has started offering ready-made DSub15 cables here, with no more need for custom orders for them (unless you absolutely want rigid coax rather than fortaflex, which arguably would only make sense for very long cable runs): https://retro-access.com/collections/rgbs-dsub-cables
Odolwa wrote:but would it also be possible to make DSub 15-Pin cables for the GameCube or PS2?
Yes and yes, if you can make a SCART cable for a system, you can make a DSub15 cable for it. Again, it's just a different connector type.
Odolwa wrote:How would you be able to get sound from the GameCube using DSub 15-Pin?
DSub15/VGA connectors don't have a dedicated pin for audio, and typically use a separate line for audio (which is an advantage IMO, but this will depend on whatever setup someone has or aims for). The audio line can terminate in 3.5mm stereo plug, RCA, phoenix block, or whatever is needed for one's switching or amplifier setup.
Odolwa wrote:fernan1234 mentioned that there are "cheap manual and automatic "VGA" switch boxes", could someone point me to an example of one that can take 5 inputs or more and output in VGA as well?
There's plenty of Extron VGA Ars SW switches on ebay. The SW6 (6 inputs) is readily available. SW8 is hard to find but pops up from time to time, and SW12 exists but is almost impossible to find. The advantage of the Ars series is that it uses 3.5mm stereo plugs for the audio inputs, unlike older VGA Extron switches which use phoenix blocks for each audio input. The Ars series does use a phoenix block for the audio output, but you'll just need one patch cable to go into your amplifier, speakers, etc. Alternatively you could route all audio lines to a separate audio switcher to avoid phoenix connectors altogether.
Odolwa wrote:Why doesn't superg make a gdsub15sw DSub 15-Pin switcher?
Can't speak for him, but most likely because SCART and component RCA continue to be the most commonly used connector types due to history. EDIT: also he would be competing against cheap, almost constantly available, professional-grade alternatives by Extron.
Odolwa wrote:Is it possible to make a DSub 15-Pin to Scart coupler?
Yep and they are already made. Tim Worthington has been selling one for a while, and a new one just came up by Rondo Products that's relatively cheap.
Odolwa wrote:Based on the previous thread, I could conclude that the picture quality of C-Sync Scart is just a little better than YPbPr Component from the HD Retrovision cables, but does DSub 15-Pin have superior picture quality to both, or at least equal picture quality to Scart?
See the first answer.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

fernan1234 wrote:DSub 15-pin connectors (also often called "VGA" connectors) can pass on whatever signal type that you pass through their pins, just like SCART can. You can pass RGBHV (also called "VGA" as a signal standard), RGBS, RGsB, RsGsBs, YPbPr (aka "Component), etc.
That means the Retrotink5X would interpret it as RGBS Scart.
Odolwa wrote:but would it also be possible to make DSub 15-Pin cables for the GameCube or PS2?
fernan1234 wrote:Yes and yes, if you can make a SCART cable for a system, you can make a DSub15 cable for it. Again, it's just a different connector type.
Regarding the GameCube, RGB Scart cables can be made for its Multi-AV Out port, meaning that DSub-15 cables can also be made for the Multi-AV Out port, but what about making a DSub-15 replacement for the Official GameCube Component/D-Terminal cables? With the GameCube, it uses the Digital AV port for 480p progressive scan picture, and the Multi-AV Out port for sound, so it would require a DSub-15 cable for picture from the Digital-AV port, and a regular Nintendo AV cable from the Multi-Out port + a 3.5MM Male to 2 RCA Female Jack Stereo Audio Cable Y Adapter like this one here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079L ... UTF8&psc=1
Or, someone could make a 3.5MM Stereo cable for the Nintendo Multi-Out port.

EDIT: It looks like Retro Access makes a DSub-15 GameCube cable that uses the GCHD Mk-II to grab video from the Digital-AV port and audio from the Multi-Out, so I'm assuming that it can do progressive scan 480p.
fernan1234 wrote:The advantage of the Ars series is that it uses 3.5mm stereo plugs for the audio inputs, unlike older VGA Extron switches which use phoenix blocks for each audio input. The Ars series does use a phoenix block for the audio output, but you'll just need one patch cable to go into your amplifier, speakers, etc. Alternatively you could route all audio lines to a separate audio switcher to avoid phoenix connectors altogether.
I'm looking at the Extron SW6 VGA Ars 6 Port Video Switcher on ebay, but I don't see how you can plug audio into it. Will you need a separate device for audio? I see that you can plug in DSub-15 cables, but there's no ports for plugging in stereo audio cables. Audio is the main reason why I'm confused on how to implement a DSub-15 setup.

https://ibb.co/WVqzX2Y

EDIT: I think this is the correct one to buy right here:
https://secure.touchnet.com/C22859_usto ... ga-ars.jpg
But I don't know how to output sound from it. Is there one that does stereo to output the sound?
Last edited by Odolwa on Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
parodius

Post by parodius »

fernan1234 wrote: The Ars series does use a phoenix block for the audio output, but you'll just need one patch cable to go into your amplifier, speakers, etc.
As mentioned, the output is through the blue phoenix connector at the bottom right corner on the back.
Something like this could be used I assume:
https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product ... rosspoint/
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

parodius wrote:
fernan1234 wrote: The Ars series does use a phoenix block for the audio output, but you'll just need one patch cable to go into your amplifier, speakers, etc.
As mentioned, the output is through the blue phoenix connector at the bottom right corner on the back.
I'm not finding the right one on ebay though. None of the SW6 switchers on ebay have audio capability. They're all just DSub-15, with no stereo audio input ports. This is the one I want, but I can't find it for sale anywhere:
https://secure.touchnet.com/C22859_usto ... UCTID=1638
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

I changed my mind. Now I think the best one to get is the 8 port version, because it has two outputs. By having two outputs, you have the option to output in both YPbPr and RGBS into the Retrotink5X. This way, you can output all the consoles that use RGBS, such as the NES (RGB Modded), SNES, and N64 (RGB Modded) into the Scart input of the Retrotink5X, and you can output all the consoles that use YPbPr, such as the GameCube or PS2 into the Component input of the Retrotink5X, all by using Retro Access DSub-15 cables. The component input of the RT5X would require a DSub-15 male to Component male adapter, and the Scart input of the RT5X would require a DSub-15 male to Scart male adapter. You could also buy two of the 4 port versions instead of one of the 8 port versions, so long as the 4 port versions you buy have stereo audio support.

These Extron SW VGA Ars switches are not easy to find, and all the good ones like the 6, 8, or 12 port versions are retired. They don't make them anymore.
https://www.extron.com/product/sw246vgars#video
Even the 4 port versions with stereo audio input support are not easy to find either. On ebay, the majority of Extron switches I see don't have stereo audio input support, and some of them like this one here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153958687992?c ... 1&mkcid=28
just have 4 ports, no stereo audio input support, but are super expensive for some reason ($350).
This one here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283758231317?h ... SwryheLnsi
has 4 ports and stereo audio input support, but look at the outrageous price ($1,799). Who would pay that much?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Just keep in mind it's not a matrix switch and doesn't do any conversion, the two outputs will be mirrored, so if you're connecting it to both the component and SCART input on the RT5X, it's just for convenience to avoid swapping cables or needing a separate splitter/distribution amp.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Guspaz wrote:Just keep in mind it's not a matrix switch and doesn't do any conversion, the two outputs will be mirrored, so if you're connecting it to both the component and SCART input on the RT5X, it's just for convenience to avoid swapping cables or needing a separate splitter/distribution amp.
I see, so it would be better to get two of the 4 port Extrons rather than one of the 8 ports, or am I mistaken again? Could you elaborate on what you meant? If I was using an 8 port, and had it connected to both inputs of the RT5X, how come it wouldn’t switch between RGBS and YPbPr? I just don’t understand why it wouldn’t work that way?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It depends on what your exact use case is. Do you want to route different sources to different displays? Get a matrix switcher. Do you want to route the same signal with different formats to different displays, like YPbPr to one and RGBS to the other? Get a switch with two outputs (or a switch with one output connected to a 1:2 DA), convert everything going into the switch to RGB and put an RGB2COMP on one of the two outputs. Do you want to route RGB and YPbPr devices to different displays (or different inputs on a display/scaler/etc) depending on their source type? Any of the above works with this, including the option of just connecting one output of the VGA switcher to the RGB input and one output of the VGA switcher to the YPbPr input and then just switching the RT5X input depending on the source device type. Or the option you mentioned, separate switchers for YPbPr versus RGB, with the output of those switchers connected to the corresponding RT5X inputs.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Guspaz wrote:It depends on what your exact use case is. Do you want to route different sources to different displays? Get a matrix switcher. Do you want to route the same signal with different formats to different displays, like YPbPr to one and RGBS to the other? Get a switch with two outputs (or a switch with one output connected to a 1:2 DA), convert everything going into the switch to RGB and put an RGB2COMP on one of the two outputs. Do you want to route RGB and YPbPr devices to different displays (or different inputs on a display/scaler/etc) depending on their source type? Any of the above works with this, including the option of just connecting one output of the VGA switcher to the RGB input and one output of the VGA switcher to the YPbPr input and then just switching the RT5X input depending on the source device type. Or the option you mentioned, separate switchers for YPbPr versus RGB, with the output of those switchers connected to the corresponding RT5X inputs.
For my use case, I would have NES, SNES, and N64 outputting RGBS, and then I would have GameCube and PS2 outputting YPbPr. The reason for this is that YPbPr is the best quality for the GameCube and PS2, as this is the one format that can support 480p Progressive Scan, whereas RGBS would not be able to do that. You said that I would need to convert both signal types to RGBS before they entered the Extron? Or would I not need to do that?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You don't necessarily need to do that, it depends on the setup.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

You're going into an RT5X is that right?

For an example from my OSSC setup, I have almost everything going into an Extron VGA Ars switch. Wii is the only component system going into the Ars, with a cheap RCA to DSUB adapter. The switch passes the YPbPr right through. My output is a DSUB to SCART cable from Retro-Access, and on the OSSC I can select RGBS, RGsB, or YPbPr for that input. If I wanted to I could play PS2 games with 480p support no problem, all it takes is an input mode change on the OSSC after enabling 480p.

Maybe the RT5X doesn't have all 3 options for its inputs, but I would think you could put everything on one switch if you wanted to (YPbPr doesn't support the Ars auto-input switching though).

Personally I'm down to 3 component systems (Wii, Gamecube with Carby + DAC, Xbox) which is one too many for my purposes, but I'll be able to ditch the DAC when scalers with HDMI input come out.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Guspaz wrote:You don't necessarily need to do that, it depends on the setup.
My bad, I read that wrong.
bobrocks95 wrote:You're going into an RT5X is that right?

For an example from my OSSC setup, I have almost everything going into an Extron VGA Ars switch. Wii is the only component system going into the Ars, with a cheap RCA to DSUB adapter. The switch passes the YPbPr right through. My output is a DSUB to SCART cable from Retro-Access, and on the OSSC I can select RGBS, RGsB, or YPbPr for that input. If I wanted to I could play PS2 games with 480p support no problem, all it takes is an input mode change on the OSSC after enabling 480p.

Maybe the RT5X doesn't have all 3 options for its inputs, but I would think you could put everything on one switch if you wanted to (YPbPr doesn't support the Ars auto-input switching though).

Personally I'm down to 3 component systems (Wii, Gamecube with Carby + DAC, Xbox) which is one too many for my purposes, but I'll be able to ditch the DAC when scalers with HDMI input come out.
How are you getting sound? Are you using a separate sound switcher or does your Extron have stereo audio support? It sucks that the Extron can't auto switch when receiving a YPbPr signal.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Odolwa wrote:How are you getting sound? Are you using a separate sound switcher or does your Extron have stereo audio support? It sucks that the Extron can't auto switch when receiving a YPbPr signal.
VGA Ars switch has 3.5mm audio jacks for each input and a phoenix connector for the output. Input cables have the 3.5mm jack on them, output DSub to SCART cable has a male Phoenix connector on the DSub end. Before I also used one of the phoenix connectors that came with it and made my own audio cable by cutting the console end off of a spare PS1 composite cable and stripping the audio lines at the end.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

bobrocks95 wrote:output DSub to SCART cable has a male Phoenix connector on the DSub end.
Where can I get that cable, or did you make it yourself? I'm trying to find a phoenix 5 pin to 3.5mm cable, but I can't find one. I found this by extron:
https://www.extron.com/product/csm6
but I can't find one for sale anywhere. I also see it here on this German site:
https://www.dimedtec.de/medientechnik/C ... -26-620-01
but it's so expensive, and I don't think they even ship to the U.S.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Odolwa wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:output DSub to SCART cable has a male Phoenix connector on the DSub end.
Where can I get that cable, or did you make it yourself? I'm trying to find a phoenix 5 pin to 3.5mm cable, but I can't find one. I found this by extron:
I got mine made by Retro-Access, you can build something like this on their custom cable builder.

For just phoenix audio solutions, retrogamingcables has some options available, such as this Phoenix to RCA board: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... 300-SWITCH

Also like I said you can make your own if you have a phoenix "tail" connector (just a screw terminal block) and an RCA or 3.5mm cable.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Odolwa wrote:I'm trying to find a phoenix 5 pin to 3.5mm cable, but I can't find one. I found this by extron:
I made myself a couple of adapters using this PCB, works great: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/xW3W7RBt
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

I think this is the correct cable that I should make, regarding RGBS output. First, it should be a custom Scart cable:
https://retro-access.com/collections/cu ... -builder-4
Video Connector: 15 Pin Dsub Male
15 Pin Dsub Pinout: RGBS
Audio Connector: Phoenix Plug
Destination Pinout: SCART
Destination Audio Connector: Audio Line in SCART

This seems right to me, unless I've made a mistake. There's no need for the Rondo Products HD15-2-SCART coupler:
https://castlemaniagames.com/products/r ... 15-2-scart
as this cable that I am making would end in Scart. Why doesn't Rondo Products make the same coupler, except that both ends are male? Just like the Scart to Scart coupler they make, both ends are male. This coupler is useless, because one of the ends is female.
Last edited by Odolwa on Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

The PS2 cable
https://retro-access.com/products/fortr ... 4937190579
and the GameCube cable
https://retro-access.com/collections/rg ... dsub-cable
that Retro Access makes are both RGBS. Why aren't these cables YPbPr instead of RGBS? Isn't YPbPr required for Progressive Scan 480p? Also, I don't think Retro Access makes custom Component cables, just BNC. That means we wouldn't be able to output in YPbPr at all from one of the Extron VGA Ars SW switches, because we can't make a DSub-15 cable that ends in Component YPbPr connectors.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Odolwa wrote: [GameCube cable
that Retro Access makes are both RGBS. Why aren't these cables YPbPr instead of RGBS? Isn't YPbPr required for Progressive Scan 480p?
The MK11 can output Component, RGBS or RGsB. Component uses the same pins as rgb
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

strayan wrote:
Odolwa wrote:The PS2 cable
[GameCube cable
that Retro Access makes are both RGBS. Why aren't these cables YPbPr instead of RGBS? Isn't YPbPr required for Progressive Scan 480p?
The MK11 can output Component, RGBS or RGsB.
But that's just for GameCube, not PS2. I was under the impression that Dsub15 could output in YPbPr for the PS2. Also, Retro Access doesn't have any male DSub15 to male Component cables, just BNC.
Last edited by Odolwa on Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lots of things you overlooked there...
Odolwa wrote:I think this is the correct cable that I should make, regarding RGBS output. First, it should be a custom Scart cable:
https://retro-access.com/collections/cu ... -builder-4
Video Connector: 15 Pin Dsub Male
15 Pin Dsub Pinout: RGBS
Audio Connector: Phoenix Plug
Destination Pinout: SCART
Destination Audio Connector: Audio Line in SCART

This seems right to me, unless I've made a mistake. There's no need for the Rondo Products HD15-2-SCART coupler:
https://castlemaniagames.com/products/r ... 15-2-scart
That custom cable sounds right, but I'd leave a note to say please make sure the sync line is attenuated since you'll be plugging the SCART end into a RT5X. All Extron VGA switches afaik will output TTL level sync that can damage most SCART inputs.

Also the rondo products one is probably a lot cheaper I'd imagine? If I didn't already have a Retro-Access cable I'd probably get it.
Why doesn't Rondo Products make the same coupler, except that both ends are male? Just like the Scart to Scart coupler they make, both ends are male. This coupler is useless, because one of the ends is female.
Uhhhhhh, what are you plugging in that needs a male VGA connector? The idea is you plug the male SCART into a SCART device and then use your own (widely available, much cheaper) VGA male to male cable to connect the VGA switch. I have no idea what you'd want a male to male for.
Why aren't these cables YPbPr instead of RGBS? Isn't YPbPr required for Progressive Scan 480p?
Not for PS2, it switches to RGsB in 480p mode. If your confusion was that somehow a DSub cable on PS2 couldn't do 480p, it's just a connector. The PS2 is going to output whatever you tell it to.
You know that's only for the GCHD Mk II right? Do you have a GCHD Mk II? An NTSC Gamecube doesn't support RGB out from the multiport.
Also, I don't think Retro Access makes custom Component cables, just BNC. That means we wouldn't be able to output in YPbPr at all from one of the Extron VGA Ars SW switches, because we can't make a DSub-15 cable that ends in Component YPbPr connectors.
I already told you the solution to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021 ... UTF8&psc=1 (That's one I bought though it didn't seem particularly nicer than cheaper Chinese ones you can get for half the price)
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

bobrocks95 wrote:I'd leave a note to say please make sure the sync line is attenuated since you'll be plugging the SCART end into a RT5X.
Thanks, I'll put that note into the Pinout Notes option.
bobrocks95 wrote:Uhhhhhh, what are you plugging in that needs a male VGA connector? The idea is you plug the male SCART into a SCART device and then use your own (widely available, much cheaper) VGA male to male cable to connect the VGA switch. I have no idea what you'd want a male to male for.
The Scart to Scart coupler that Rondo Products makes is male-to-male, and it eliminates the cables in between the two connectors. I thought it would be best for both ends to be male, so as to eliminate cables, and allow a direct connection between the Extron Switch and the Retrotink5X, just like I do now with the Rondo Products Scart coupler and the gscartsw, which allows for a direct connection to the RT5X. No cables between the two means no room for noise or interference. Also, their Scart coupler makes the Belkin Round Scart cable and the RGC Flat Scart cable unnecessary.
bobrocks95 wrote:Not for PS2, it switches to RGsB in 480p mode. If your confusion was that somehow a DSub cable on PS2 couldn't do 480p, it's just a connector. The PS2 is going to output whatever you tell it to.
RGsB is Sync-on-Green, so the PS2 doesn't output in YPbPr for 480p, but what about 480i?
bobrocks95 wrote:You know that's only for the GCHD Mk II right? Do you have a GCHD Mk II? An NTSC Gamecube doesn't support RGB out from the multiport.
For the GameCube, I want Retro Access to make a DSub15 cable that outputs YPbPr/YCbCr, because that's the format that the console uses for 480p Progressive Scan, not RGBS, which is what Retro Access makes. I don't own a GCHD Mk-II. I do own both PAL and NTSC GameCubes though.
Also, I don't think Retro Access makes custom Component cables, just BNC. That means we wouldn't be able to output in YPbPr at all from one of the Extron VGA Ars SW switches, because we can't make a DSub-15 cable that ends in Component YPbPr connectors.
bobrocks95 wrote:I already told you the solution to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021 ... UTF8&psc=1 (That's one I bought though it didn't seem particularly nicer than cheaper Chinese ones you can get for half the price)
This one also ends in female, meaning that we would need another male-to-male Component cable to plug into the female end and then into the RT5X. Also, it doesn't have sound support, so you would need a 5 pin phoenix block to RCA audio adapter like this:
https://www.extron.com/product/csr6
and I don't know where or how to buy one of those.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Odolwa wrote:Also, it doesn't have sound support, so you would need a 5 pin phoenix block to RCA audio adapter like this:
parodius wrote:As mentioned, the output is through the blue phoenix connector at the bottom right corner on the back.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

fernan1234 wrote:
Odolwa wrote:Also, it doesn't have sound support, so you would need a 5 pin phoenix block to RCA audio adapter like this:
parodius wrote:As mentioned, the output is through the blue phoenix connector at the bottom right corner on the back.
That one uses RCA and requires a male RCA to male 3.5 mm Stereo conversion cable:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5 ... B01D5H8JW0
My goal is to minimize the amount of adapters and cables needed. With the Retro Access cable I put together, you won't need that adapter. Just a straight plug from the Extron into the RT5X, and it would be even better if it was a simple male DSub15 with 5 pin phoenix to male Scart adapter. There's no need for a cable in between the two connectors.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Odolwa wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Uhhhhhh, what are you plugging in that needs a male VGA connector? The idea is you plug the male SCART into a SCART device and then use your own (widely available, much cheaper) VGA male to male cable to connect the VGA switch. I have no idea what you'd want a male to male for.
The Scart to Scart coupler that Rondo Products makes is male-to-male, and it eliminates the cables in between the two connectors. I thought it would be best for both ends to be male, so as to eliminate cables, and allow a direct connection between the Extron Switch and the Retrotink5X, just like I do now with the Rondo Products Scart coupler and the gscartsw, which allows for a direct connection to the RT5X. No cables between the two means no room for noise or interference. Also, their Scart coupler makes the Belkin Round Scart cable and the RGC Flat Scart cable unnecessary.
That would result in the RT5X literally hanging off the Extron switch, and that's just silly and impractical.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Guspaz wrote:
Odolwa wrote:
That would result in the RT5X literally hanging off the Extron switch, and that's just silly and impractical.
HD15/DE15 gender adapters or HD15/DE15 male to male cords are pretty easy to get. The RT5x doesn't have to be hanging on the output of the switch. It could hang on the RT5x instead.

I would probably attach some custom homemade rubber feet under the SCART "adapter" to offset the weight of the adapter pulling down on the RT5x SCART connection. It's pretty easy to buy them and trim them a little. The ones I use under the DVDO should be tall enough.
We apologise for the inconvenience
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

orange808 wrote:HD15/DE15 gender adapters or HD15/DE15 male to male cords are pretty easy to get. The RT5x doesn't have to be hanging on the output of the switch. It could hang on the RT5x instead.
But he's saying he's like completely averse to cables of any kind. No male to male VGA cable, just a switch with an RT5X shoved behind it. I don't see how that's practical at all.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Do you guys think this would work by any chance?
https://ibb.co/k5sHGRq
The male 5 pin phoenix connector would be spaced out further and a little lower of course to reach the Extron female phoenix connector, or it could just dangle off a short cable. It would pretty much be the same as the cable I made, but without the cable part in between.

Here's the Extron 4 port with sound I'm looking at to help visualize:
https://ibb.co/wN0VcVy
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

For the PlayStation 2, is it possible to have a DSub15 cable that does YPbPr instead of RGBS? Are YPbPr and RGBS equivalent signals when it comes to quality? Would RGsB work with a DSub15 RGBS cable?