pad or stick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MovingTarget

pad or stick

Post by MovingTarget »

So I'm wanting to improve my shmupping on the ps2, the analogue stick is quite annoying when you want fine position adjustments.

I was interested in the real arcade pro stick but the postage cost for that is at least £37. Whilst a PS2 saturn pad is only just under £4.

How much difference(with practice) could a stick make to my gaming, and also how much of a diference does the saturn pad dpad make? Dont wanna be wasting my money.

much thanks.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Like I've said about this many, many times it's all about your preference and to what you're accustomed to. Your skill doesn't come from the controller. I played a long time with the standard Dual Shock 2 d-pad and got my share of 1CC's with it. Now I'm playing with the Saturn-style PS2 pad, as it has a slightly tighter feel.

Some people are more used to sticks and get results that way. SnapDragon, the guy who won the US Ikaruga competition, played using GameCube's standard analogue stick.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

I'm glad I didnt shell out almost 80 quid then. I think the dpad on the saturn controller will definetly be easier to use than the ps2 analogue, Its so annoying when you mean to go left but end up goin left and up slightly :lol:
elvis

Post by elvis »

Ghegs wrote:it's all about your preference and to what you're accustomed to.
I couldn't agree more. And it's the same for any genre. I know a lot of fighting game players who swear black and blue you *MUST* play with a stick, but then some young kid will come along and beat everyone on a pad.

For me personally, I prefer Sanwa sticks for shooters over either Happ sticks or a D-Pad. I like their light springs, and they just feel more comfortable. I get all of my highest scores on these, simply because that's what I'm used to, and have played with the longest. Again, just my own preference. My best friend is a D-Pad user all the way, and hates sticks.

If you do want an arcade style stick for yourself, you shouldn't need to shell out rediculous amounts for it. You can buy very cheap joysticks and mod them with better parts, or build/buy your own box and throw a hacked pad and joystick in there. There are plenty of hobby and electronics stores that sell project boxes in a variety of materials (plastics, aluminium, sheet steel, etc) for a coulpe of bucks. Whack a few holes in, throw the sticks and buttons in, hack a pad and hot glue it in, and you have yourself a very cheap and useable joystick.
loopyeddie

Post by loopyeddie »

I'd take a high quality stick with Sanwa parts first, but I rather use the pad than a poor quality stick.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I don't see why an SS pad would be so much better than a PS digital pad for a shooter...you don't need to motion or anything (unless you're playing Batsugun or something) and the PS pad is very crisp for straight directions. Is there any particular reason you're not using the PS d-pad?
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

The ps d-pad feels slightly sluggish to me, it feels like theres a slight delay between when you push down to when it responds, its like a cushion :lol: Diagonal movement is quite dodgy with the dpad, for me anyway.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

i often wondered this myself, until i played mushihimesama on an arcade cab and starting acheiving higher scores :D

to me, different games suit different control methods, for me mushi is much better played with a stick, but then i prefer to play battle garegga using saturn pad. i think it is because you need to do fast sweeping movements in mushi and also a lot of tapping of the stick when you are in the complex bullet patterns, whereas with garegga the movements required are much more precise/sensitive, and the pad seems to allow more sensitive control

also, when i am learning a game, i like to learn the basics on a pad and get used to which buttons do what, especially on games which use lots of buttons like espgaluda and gunbird 2.
then when i am used to the game mechanics i will swap over onto the joystick and see if i can get a better score (sometimes happens/but not always - game specific see above)

i would get a stick, as well as a pad, so you can swap and change for different games. games always seem more fun to me when played competently with a stick :D but there is nothing worse than using a stick and not being able to control properly :cry:
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

btw, i have a Hori Real Arcade Pro stick for PS2, they are excellent :D
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

i really would like to get one some day, but currently the shipping cost is a bit too much.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

DC906270 wrote:i i think it is because you need to do fast sweeping movements in mushi and also a lot of tapping of the stick when you are in the complex bullet patterns, whereas with garegga the movements required are much more precise/sensitive, and the pad seems to allow more sensitive control

also, when i am learning a game, i like to learn the basics on a pad and get used to which buttons do what, especially on games which use lots of buttons like espgaluda and gunbird 2.
I tend to agree with this. For games that require tap dodging from quick bullets, I prefer a pad most definitely. While for larger, sweeping movements, I find I get better results from a stick (not analog!). But generally sticks are hard for me anytime there are more than two buttons involved.
SAM

Post by SAM »

professor ganson wrote:
DC906270 wrote:i i think it is because you need to do fast sweeping movements in mushi and also a lot of tapping of the stick when you are in the complex bullet patterns, whereas with garegga the movements required are much more precise/sensitive, and the pad seems to allow more sensitive control

I tend to agree with this. For games that require tap dodging from quick bullets, I prefer a pad most definitely. While for larger, sweeping movements, I find I get better results from a stick (not analog!). But generally sticks are hard for me anytime there are more than two buttons involved.
I am the opposit, I couldn't handle more then 2 buttons when using a pad, proberby because I use only my right thumb to press buttons when using pad.

I must play with joysticks for games require more that 2 buttons, since the joystick buttons are largers, so that I could operate each button with a finger.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*