Retrotink 2x pro or multiformat for n64

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mrwasi

Retrotink 2x pro or multiformat for n64

Post by mrwasi »

I've read everything I can find about both retro 2x pro and Retro 2xultiformat but can't find a definitive answer as to which one is better suited for the Nintendo 64. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
strayan

Re: Retrotink 2x pro or multiformat for n64

Post by strayan »

This video explains the differences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWGJBgLVqR8
mrwasi

Post by mrwasi »

Amazing. Will check it out. Thanks
mrwasi

Post by mrwasi »

He didn't really mention the n64 much but it seems like the multiformat would be better suited since it is mostly a 3d machine
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You might want to consider saving money and just buying the RT2X Mini. The N64 only supports composite and S-Video, so it's kind of a waste to get either of the Pro for it.
mrwasi

Post by mrwasi »

If I were to get the multiformat, I'd be using my wii and ps2 with it as well. Not so much the Xbox though. But I'll look into the mini to compare price.
mrwasi

Post by mrwasi »

Guspaz wrote:You might want to consider saving money and just buying the RT2X Mini. The N64 only supports composite and S-Video, so it's kind of a waste to get either of the Pro for it.
So I think I'll take your suggestion and grab the mini.
Thanks
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Well, if you’re using Wii and PS2 as well, one of the units with component inputs may still be a good idea if the cost difference isn’t much of a bother for you - unless you use Free McBoot/HDDBoot on PS2 and force non-480p games up to 480p… if so, then yeah the Mini should be fine. Although as far as I remember the Multiformat has some interesting features for those 480p-capable consoles? Maybe not enough to warrant the purchase if it’s only your PS2 and Wii though :shrug:

Most likely the Mini should do you just fine :) I’d just double check the features of the Multiformat and see if there’s anything that REALLY sticks out to you and sounds crucial
mrwasi

Post by mrwasi »

Thanks.
I was thinking about it overnight and it seems like i can splurge on the 2x pro since all the ps2 games that are 480p I have for Xbox, so my ps2 collection would benefit from the pro