15khz over HDMI, capture card options

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
underage

15khz over HDMI, capture card options

Post by underage »

Are there any PCIe cards capable of capturing a 15khz signal over HDMI? I want to capture the digital 15khz output of a MiSTer, N64Digital, etc. and was eyeing either a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI or Magewell XI400DE card for this purpose. Anybody know if it would work with these cards?
NoAffinity

Re: 15khz over HDMI, capture card options

Post by NoAffinity »

Magewell hdmi pro, part number 11040, will do it, but the quality is not great. I mean it looks good at true 240 pixels displayed on a computer screen, but well...240 pixels is very small on modern screens. Scaling with magewell hardware scaling or with obs does not look good. Maybe theres other software scaling solutions that would make it look pretty.

480p also suffers the same fate via the magewell. Anything 720p or greater looks fantastic and scales well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
underage

Re: 15khz over HDMI, capture card options

Post by underage »

Thank you, that is excellent news! Do you think it would work with the XI400DE as well, or is that one too new for handling a 240p/480i signal? Supposedly it's one of the best for fast progressive/interlaced switching, but I've only seen it used in tandem with a RetroTINK2x.
As for the looks of it, that's not a concern. I just want to bypass the scaler & deinterlacer of these HDMI kits, Magewell ones as well, and use a dedicated video processor via libretro/RetroArch instead.