Sega Genesis (2) Triple Bypass install - keep composite?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Jinx

Sega Genesis (2) Triple Bypass install - keep composite?

Post by Jinx »

Okay so i know its a 'why would you want to bother' question. But is it possible to install the triple bypass v2 and keep the Composite video (without keeping the jailbars in RGB?). I'm going to install on a Genny model 2 (va1 mb) and I partially would like to keep the utility of the composite out rather than having 2 sync's (I use actual Composite sync, rather than sync over composite video cables so its useless to me). Is it it possible to keep the Composite out or would that pretty much negate the entire bypass board cuz the rgb out will still be crap?

also has anyone done it? is there a how too? I've searched all of google cannot find a single post.
thchardcore

Re: Sega Genesis (2) Triple Bypass install - keep composite?

Post by thchardcore »

Yes. You can keep it and in my case I noted it provided more stable sync than C sync. Just ignore part on cutting trace or if you already cut, just run jumper wire from the pin on the AV out to the composite video pin on the encoder.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Ohhh thank you for replying!

I haven't cut anything or done anything yet.. Trying to gather all the info (dont even have a set upon install guide yet, i saw one where you just remove resistors instead of cutting traces?).

So you left your's is your RGB CLEAN of all jailbars? Should i not solder that pin on the tripbypass board then? (the pin for composite video) just leave it? And does the tripbypass not require you to remove the traces going into the video encoder chip on the mobo? (I thought that is what generated the Compsite video out and if it doesnt get the RGB lines it wont work properly, at least that is how it worked on a genny 1 I was messing with a few months ago).
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

thchardcore wrote:Yes. You can keep it and in my case I noted it provided more stable sync than C sync. Just ignore part on cutting trace or if you already cut, just run jumper wire from the pin on the AV out to the composite video pin on the encoder.
I wonder why this is the case. Does the sync muxed with composite go through more/less processing than the raw signal?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

I have no idea. I am using it with an OSSC. What's also strange is that the same holds true for composite video for sync with the AV Famicom.

No issues using C sync with the SNES though.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee