NESRGB palette upgrade trios (Voultar)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DIPswitch

NESRGB palette upgrade trios (Voultar)

Post by DIPswitch »

Got my NESRGB kit last month, probably gonna have Voultar install in my AV Fami that I bought in Akihabara LNIB in 2013. (It's not LNIB anymore, I've been using it.) The most recent NESRGB kits come preinstalled with Sony CXA, Smooth, and YUV.

Are any of the trio of palette selections available on Voultar's site a superior mix? Yes it's subjective, but I'd appreciate recommendations & explanations.

PC-10, Smooth, Composite-Direct
PC-10, Smooth, NES Classic
PC-10, Wavebeam, Composite-Direct
PC-10, Wavebeam, Smooth
PVM-style, Smooth, NES Classic
PVM-style, Smooth, Wavebeam
Sony CXA, Composite-Direct, Wavebeam
NES Classic, Composite-Direct, Wavebeam
NES Classic, Smooth, Wavebeam

I'll be using the Famicom w/ a Framemeister (could change later) and Sony 55" Android TV (could change later). Retail carts & EDN8.
bobrocks95

Re: NESRGB palette upgrade trios (Voultar)

Post by bobrocks95 »

Well, if you want opinions, I don't know why anyone would want the Playchoice 10 palette unless they have some particular nostalgia for it. It's garish and only fits in in a very specific context of NES to arcade conversions.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
DIPswitch

Post by DIPswitch »

@bobrocks95 yes I'm aware of how the PC-10 palette looks. And also I've seen some but not all of the other options either here or at FirebrandX's site.

I think "smooth" and NES Classic both look good and acceptable as fulltime do-all choices. I could just settle on the default "Smooth" that the nesrgb had preinstalled and not look back, not even bother with a palette switch. But I am hoping to hear from some with experience having the nesrgb installed.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Smooth wavebeam pc-10

Smooth and wavebeam are very similar but both really nice. Hard to decide which is best so I use both.

Pc-10 is great for games with solid blocks like Tetris, they really pop compared to the stock washed out colours, but terrible for games like Contra.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

You've probably already seen it then, but there's this comparison image on reddit that's pretty helpful.

I guess I'd kind of broadly categorize them as "close to composite" and "adding a bit of pop". Usually colors get a bit brighter and "punchier" when switching to RGB from composite or S-Video, so I'm used to that in general, but some NES palettes definitely go too far IMO.

I would say Compsite-Direct, NES Classic, and Smooth are "close to composite".
And PC-10, Sony CXA, and PVM-Style are "adding a bit of pop".
Wavebeam could kind of go either way.

Ideally you'd want to cover both bases. I find PC-10 and Sony CXA a bit too far for brightening colors, and I'd personally pick PVM-Style out of those 3.

I feel like my ideal would be Composite-Direct (for the bit of red to give Mario the purplish sky), PVM-Style (for when I want a bit more pop), and maybe Wavebeam as a fun option for some games.
Compsoite-Direct, Smooth, and PVM-Style would be my second option in case Composite-Direct looks a little off from what I remember in some cases.

Of the options in the OP, PVM-Style, Smooth, Wavebeam for me.

It's all subjective of course.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
DIPswitch

Post by DIPswitch »

bobrocks95 wrote:You've probably already seen it then, but there's this comparison image on reddit that's pretty helpful.
oooh. No actually I had not seen that before. That covers the bases, doesn't it. Just what I needed, thank you.
buddha2525

Post by buddha2525 »

DIPswitch wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:You've probably already seen it then, but there's this comparison image on reddit that's pretty helpful.
oooh. No actually I had not seen that before. That covers the bases, doesn't it. Just what I needed, thank you.

I use CXA2025AS. The rest give a weird purplish tint to blues.

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

buddha2525 wrote:
DIPswitch wrote:

I use CXA2025AS. The rest give a weird purplish tint to blues.
The blue definitely looks nice, though there is a widely quoted interview with Miyamoto where he says he intentionally picked the "purplish" blue for the sky in Mario. For a console with no set RGB values though, be as subjective as you like.