Any DS / 3DS users here? Questions about my homebrew plans.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: Any DS / 3DS users here? Questions about my homebrew pla

Post by bobrocks95 »

Nice to see a grip worked! I might pick one up, though I'd definitely prefer a different material. My 3DS grip is this soft touch plastic that's kinda halfway between plastic and silicone and feels really nice.

I still don't have screenshots for DS Virtual Console on Wii U, but I did find out that it runs at 720p, and you can customize the layout as much as you want with some file editing. Unfortunately 720p means you can't even do a 2x scale for both screens stacked, unless it's a non-integer multiplier, and the shimmer was absolutely awful. This explains the goofy DS console border image; the screens are 1x scaled and quite small. There's an interpolation option ("Screen Smoothing") you can turn on to get rid of shimmering, but it's your typical awful cheap bilinear filter that looks like smeared vasoline, so it's not very useful.
Custom community made layouts are here- https://gbatemp.net/threads/add-many-mo ... es.574254/

So I'd stick with my original assessment- works nicely with games that focus mostly on one screen. Say gameplay on one, map/inventory on the other. You can just squeeze a 3x scale for one screen next to a 2x scale of the second (exactly 1280 horizontal pixels, 576 vertical for the larger one). This is mirrored on the gamepad with a 2x and 1x scale, though I'll probably make a custom layout for anything I play that has the GamePad just showing the touch screen and anchored to the right, for the easiest thumb access.

Games using both screens stacked is pretty much a no-go. Need at least 1080p output to even get a 2x scale, and that'll still look small. If Woozle's DS Consolizer is still going to happen, a rotated 1080p display could do x4 scaling with both screens stacked plus a gap in the middle, though I like the idea of using a WiiU GamePad for bottom screen touch input.

Sorry if I'm off-topic at this point, just thought it was an interesting alternative I'd never looked at.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.