Is my power supply ok?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Is my power supply ok?

Post by shmupsrocks »

Just had a problem where I bumped the power supply and the entire outlet stopped working on the other side of the room. I checked the breaker switches and the outlet wiring in the wall and everything looks fine but the outlet doesn't work any more. I tested the supergun and PCB on another power supply and they still work fine. I'll get a new outlet but I'm not sure if I should be suspicious of the power supply. Should I just wire it to AC and test +12v and +5v with a multimeter and if those test fine the power supply is safe to use? It's a PowerPro arcade supply.
eccoboy

Re: Is my power supply ok?

Post by eccoboy »

Hard to tell exactly what's going on from your description. I'm guessing you have a power supply that may be bad but haven't tested the power supply yet because you're worried it will ruin something. If something is wrong then the fuse should have blown. If not blown then a voltage test of the power supply output should be ok to do and if the test goes well then you can use it. I'm not an expert but that's what I'd do.
thegreathopper

Re: Is my power supply ok?

Post by thegreathopper »

Sounds like your mains power socket has gone faulty, I would replace that first and you seem to have proven your power supply is ok so get it plugged in and play.
Fight war not wars