PS1 SCPH-1001 won't read discs - laser not the problem.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Chomolonzo

PS1 SCPH-1001 won't read discs - laser not the problem.

Post by Chomolonzo »

I have an old PS1 model SCPH-1001 that won't read discs. I initially thought it was a laser issue, as it often is with these old models, but after swapping the laser assembly out with both a new repro unit and one taken from a PSOne (both of which work in other systems), the unit still won't read discs and will simply plop into the system menu. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? I can't seem to find any trace corrosion on the motherboard anywhere.
Syntax

Re: PS1 SCPH-1001 won't read discs - laser not the problem.

Post by Syntax »

Do the discs spin?
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

That could be either a problem with the reset button or the lid switch. I had a similar issue with one of my PS1 consoles. I added a little DeoxIT to the lid switch and clicked it back and forth a bit and my system stopped kicking me to the system menu and started playing games again. You'll have to take the top off of your PS1 to add contact cleaner to the actual switch on the motherboard. You don't necessarily need DeoxIT, although I think that works the best. You can just try spraying some generic electronics contact cleaner on it. You can also sometimes trouble shoot that by holding the lid switch down with a little extra pressure. Try using a pen or pencil to hold the lid switch down a little firmer and seeing if your game will boot up.
Chomolonzo

Post by Chomolonzo »

The disc does indeed spin, which I've tested by holding the lid switch down with the top half of the shell off.
Chomolonzo

Post by Chomolonzo »

I've taken it apart again and tried some of the suggestions here, but no joy. I should add that it'll play audio CDs without fault, but it just won't boot games. There's no problem with the lid switch, as even light pressure will get the system to recognise it as closed and spin the disc up. Reset button isn't a problem, as I currently have it running without the top half of the shell on, and I've also swapped in another PSU to the same problem.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

You may want to try reflowing IC305
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

bahamutfan64 wrote:You may want to try reflowing IC305
https://twitter.com/DragonsHoardMod/sta ... 8394443779

This tweet does suggest the IC305 goes bad. Not sure on how frequently they fail.