Duo R RGB Mod - Dim Video

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NoAffinity

Duo R RGB Mod - Dim Video

Post by NoAffinity »

I just installed Voultar's Turbo Duo/R/RX & Supergrafx RGB Kit (https://voultar.com/index.php?route=pro ... duct_id=53). I am getting video, but it is very dim. I am running my Duo R into a consumer CRT, and it is dim overall and seems to be dimmer at the left-right edges.

I am using Genesis 2 RGB scart cables - I have 2, both of which work great with my Genesis 2. I am also using a HD Retrovision din 8-to-mini din 9 adapter, for the RGB mod din 8 output to work with my existing genesis 2 cables.

First thought - is it the caps and/or resistors in the SCART cables that is causing the signal to be dim?

Second thought - I am pulling csync off of the 6260, but I do not have the RGB mod board sync output connected to anything, and am relying on native sync on composite. Sync on composite works fine on my device chain, from other consoles. Composite video still works fine on the Duo R.

I have checked all my handiwork, and find no shorts or anything else obvious. I also fully recapped the console about a week ago (working fine after the recap, and before taking on the rgb mod).

Either of the above sound like the culprit, or anywhere else I should be looking?
ShootTheCore

Re: Duo R RGB Mod - Dim Video

Post by ShootTheCore »

Yes, the Genesis 2 SCART cables are very likely making your picture dim. They include resistors on the RGB lines that PC Engine cables don’t have.

Also, since RGB modding a Duo requires swapping the video port, double check that the solder joints (especially the grounds) on the port are good.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Thank you sir. I went ahead and ordered another cheap scart cable to test with. Will remove all in-line components and test, before ordering a quality cable.

Solder joints are good on the new connector. In fact, I found a handful of cold solder joints, at the original av connector and the controller connector. I'm hunting down some audio issues, too, and going to go over the whole board with a fine tooth resolder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Okay, I stripped all components out of the cable. Had to rewire it too. I go this adapter which is specifically made for the voultar rgb mod to HD Retrovision adaptation: https://castlemaniagames.com/products/h ... -turbo-duo

I expected it would be pass-through, but it isn't. The RGB lines measure at 470 ohm resistance, from one end to the other. The result is still a dim image. :( Any way to overcome that with components added back to the scart cable, or removing components from the voultar board (asking the engineers in the crowd)? The HDR adapter is not able to be opened.

Side note: the HDR adapter also has no ground connection from one end to the other. :?