Super Game Boy for Retrotink 5X

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Odolwa

Super Game Boy for Retrotink 5X

Post by Odolwa »

Will the Retrotink 5X ever have zooming functions? This would be an excellent feature for the RT5X to have, because when playing a Super Game Boy or Super Game Boy 2, a large portion of the screen is given to the Super Game Boy background, and not the smaller Game Boy box portion in the center. If the RT5X could zoom in, then we could fill the screen up with the Game Boy box, and avoid having to look at the Super Game Boy background.
Guspaz

Re: Super Game Boy for Retrotink 5X

Post by Guspaz »

It's not uniform zoom either, the SGB gets the Game Boy aspect ratio wrong (due to the Game Boy and SNES having different pixel aspect ratios) and needs to be corrected during scaling.
Last edited by Guspaz on Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

I can confirm it will have a feature that will automatically detect SGB games and make the LCD super dim, just like the real handheld. Maybe LCD motion ghosting, if we get there.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

mikechi2 wrote:I can confirm it will have a feature that will automatically detect SGB games and make the LCD super dim, just like the real handheld. Maybe LCD motion ghosting, if we get there.
Following....
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

mikechi2 wrote:I can confirm it will have a feature that will automatically detect SGB games and make the LCD super dim, just like the real handheld. Maybe LCD motion ghosting, if we get there.
That’s cool for lighting and motion, but will this update also enlarge/zoom into the Game Boy box, and can we turn the zoom off and on, or zoom in and out if we want? That way, we can also use the menu of the Super Game Boy 2 to apply colors or change controls.
dojima

Post by dojima »

Odolwa wrote:That’s cool for lighting and motion, but will this update also enlarge/zoom into the Game Boy box, and can we turn the zoom off and on, or zoom in and out if we want? That way, we can also use the menu of the Super Game Boy 2 to apply colors or change controls.
lmao
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Mike, do I detect a bit of sarcasm there? :lol:
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

:lol:
In seriousness, these things are all theoretically possible. As always, limit is time!
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

If we're making requests - I need the SGB mode to only function when my screen is in full, blinding sunlight.
dojima

Post by dojima »

Einzelherz wrote:If we're making requests - I need the SGB mode to only function when my screen is in full, blinding sunlight.
ahahah.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

I'd also like to see different modes for the Pokemon Stadium Game Boy Tower. Not being able to zoom into that one sucks too.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

I wanted to open this topic up again. I wanted to play the Super Game Boy on SNES or the Pokémon Game Boy games on Pokemon Stadium with the transfer pak, but the screens are too small. The screen on the Game Boy Player for the GameCube resizes very well, but you can’t get the sharpness available with the other two options.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Excellent work with the scaling features in the new firmware update, I'm very happy we have this option at last. I did notice some slight issues, though. I'm sure the RT5X team and Mike Chi will fix them, when they get a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpPsTOyKr_E