Sony KD34XBR-960 CRT Help (Japanese Model- Sony KD36HR500)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shadow_fox09

Sony KD34XBR-960 CRT Help (Japanese Model- Sony KD36HR500)

Post by Shadow_fox09 »

Hi,

I’m new here, but I’ve browsed the forums a lot looking for advice. The discussions here have been really helpful since I got back into CRT gaming last year.

I have a Sony KD36HR500- which as far as I can tell is the same as the American Sony KD36HR960 or 970. I’ve studied the AVS Forums master thread about it exhaustively, but I’m having a problem I can’t find a good fix to. For the most part the service menu settings are the same as the American set; however, there are some notable exemptions in my service menu- namely 3DNR, HDPT, YSOW, and a couple other big settings that lots of people hit on to improve the picture or minimize digital processing.

A couple of months ago the board that handles switching from 15khz to 33.75khz when going through the component inputs died, but luckily I had a smaller model Sony KD28HR500B (same set just minus the super fine pitch tube) that I was able to take the board out of and replace. After replacing that I began to notice extra noise in the picture during dark scenes.

Now, I can’t for the life of me remember if that noise was there before swapping that board. But I also noticed increased noise just in general constantly moving across solid color backgrounds. I swapped the TV plug from a power strip directly to a wall outlet, and low and behold some of that noise died down. I switched my HDMI To component converters power plug to the wall, too. A little more noise went away.

Now the noise isn’t so visible, but the blending of colors during dark scenes is… atrocious lol. It goes beyond just banding- although that is present too. When a dark blue or purple is shown on screen, when the color transitions from one shade to a next, it does so in almost a stair-step pattern. With chunky blocks of color spread throughout. Almost like compression artifacts that you see when streaming on a low bandwidth site. Blacks though RARELY show this kind of compression. They are nice and clean and black.

This happens on 1080i input through over the airwaves channels through the coaxial cable input. It also happens through the blu ray player at 1080i (passing through the hdmi to component adapter) and through the switch at 720p and the Xbox 360 and ps3 at 1080i. The PS3 is connected directly to the TV via the Sony proprietary PS RGB cable, so I know it’s not the converter box causing this.

When I cycled through the individual electron guns on a grey image (a screenshot from The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD) the gradient of the red and the green guns look fine. Combined red and green looks fine. But then when I put the blue gun on… there’s so much more “texture” to the color from the square artifacts popping up in it.

So my question for all of you is, what gives? Is this a color purity issue? A voltage issue? I tried adjusting blue gamma, BDRV, BCUT, BCOF, BDOF. I went through a million different settings- even turning off all of the MID 5 settings- and nothing changes. Could the phosphors be wearing out? Light blue looks amazing and doesnt show any compression issues though.

I have some pics up close of it that I posted on Imgur if you want me to link them.

Thanks for your time, and if you have anymore questions let me know!

Cheers.
Bahn Yuki

Re: Sony KD34XBR-960 CRT Help (Japanese Model- Sony KD36HR50

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Try the alternate 1080i mode. It removes the ability to send anything BUT 1080i/540p. DPSW is the option, you must have HDPT enabled too.
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

You mind posting the pictures so we can see exactly what you are seeing?

Bahn Yuki: What have you read about the DPSW option other than it turns all other modes off? I have not read anything that would point to it doing anything more for helping input lag than HDPT already does as far as disabling additional processing on 1080i signals.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Josh128 wrote:You mind posting the pictures so we can see exactly what you are seeing?

Bahn Yuki: What have you read about the DPSW option other than it turns all other modes off? I have not read anything that would point to it doing anything more for helping input lag than HDPT already does as far as disabling additional processing on 1080i signals.
It's an alternate 1080i mode. When you turn on HDPT and send a 1080i signal you get a "left to right" pulse of noise. DPSW takes that issue away. On my screens it significantly increases clarity. Unfortunately it disables all other resolutions. I'm currently using two of my 960s in this mode.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Isnt that the the same pulse of noise that the guys at the AVS forum claimed was resolved by setting HDPT=0?

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/signal ... vs.293741/

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/comput ... ts.270471/

In any case, ever since tinkering with the HDPT /540p mode, I havent run across this issue, so I can only assume HDPT=0 resolved it, or since its a late model set, maybe it was resolved in this particular model.