Jamma Adapter for Mister FPGA - Control Panel not recognized

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
guut

Jamma Adapter for Mister FPGA - Control Panel not recognized

Post by guut »

Hi,

Finally I got the opportunity to get a nice candy cab, and I also got the Jamma Adapter for the Mister FPGA (https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... a-adapter/) together with the cab.
Is anybody using this adapter?

I did connect everything correctly (at least I guess so!?):
VGA Output of the adapter, to VGA Input of the Mister
USB cable from the controller board ( Xin-Mo XM-10 board ) to an USB port of the Mister
3,5mm audio jack from Mister to the input of the Jamma adapter.
Jamma edge to the Jamma connector of the adapter.

It is working fine, (video/audio etc.), but the Joysticks + Buttons of the control panel are doing nothing.
I tried several times to configure a new input within Mister, but it isn't recognizing the Stick/Buttons.

This is my first cab, and the whole topic is quite new to Me. Hopefully someone can point Me into the right direction :)
paulb_nl

Re: Jamma Adapter for Mister FPGA - Control Panel not recogn

Post by paulb_nl »

Try to connect the USB cable of the Xin-Mo to a PC and check if it works there.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

There's a setting you need to edit in the .ini for dual controllers/jamma adapters to work.
guut

Post by guut »

Okay, I guess I am a step further.
Did test the controller board directly connected to a Windows 10 PC, it was recognized as XinmoTek Controller, so the board itself seems to be fine.
In the meanwhile I asked Antonio Villena for help, and He wrote Me back:

The problem can be common wire of controllers is connected to 27 and
"e" on JAMMA. And in my JAMMA adapter is not connected to GND.
In case of recognized controller there is a solution. It consists on
two short wires between 27 and 28 and e and f. It can be done on the
JAMMA adapter or on the harness (cabinet).

So as I understood Him, I could open the adapter and bridge the 2x two pins with a wire (27 and 28, e and f)

@Syntax Can You paste an URL to that fix? I did already download and extract the file which Antonio linked on his product page (of the adapter) with a Linux fix for 2nd controller/buttons recognition. Perhaps You mean the same!?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Line 107 -122

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini

Your product ID does not seem to be there. (jamma_vid jamma_pid)
You can get these IDs from trying to program the joystick in the main menu. They are the two four digit numbers separated by a :
guut

Post by guut »

@Syntax Thanks, that might help, will give it a try. But when I remember correctly, I couldn't see any ID on the Mister main menu.
Perhaps I can find the ID somewhere on the web. The board is a Xin-Mo XM-10 board.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

guut wrote:Okay, I guess I am a step further.
Did test the controller board directly connected to a Windows 10 PC, it was recognized as XinmoTek Controller, so the board itself seems to be fine.
Did the buttons work on the PC?
guut wrote: @Syntax Can You paste an URL to that fix? I did already download and extract the file which Antonio linked on his product page (of the adapter) with a Linux fix for 2nd controller/buttons recognition. Perhaps You mean the same!?
The fix from Antonio's page is obsolete. The current Linux kernel on MiSTer already contains the fix. If you use the file from Antonio's page then you are installing an old kernel from last year.
Syntax wrote:Line 107 -122

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini

Your product ID does not seem to be there. (jamma_vid jamma_pid)
You can get these IDs from trying to program the joystick in the main menu. They are the two four digit numbers separated by a :
That's only for Mame keyboard -> Gamepad translation. The XM-10 appears to use USB Gamepads and not a keyboard so it shouldn't be needed.
guut

Post by guut »

Oh, good to know that this fix is obsolete (and even outdated Kernel), will replace the linux folder with the current state then.
I didn't had the PC next to the Cab, so I did just test the Jamma adapter on the PC without anything else.
I could test it while being connected to the Cab via Jamma, with a Laptop next to it, to see if Joystick + Buttons work there, but I would assume so..
Hmm, so again the issue seems to be related to the wiring of my Jamma harness on the cab and/or the wiring on the Jamma adapter, correct?
guut

Post by guut »

I have tested both:
If the XinMo Board is being recognized in Linux on the Mister too, and I did test if the Joysticks/Buttons are being recognized, when connecting the USB cable from the controller board to a Win 10 Laptop, Jamma is connected to Jamma harness of the cab.

1) The first test was successful, two Controllers (one with 15 buttons, 2nd with 13 buttons) has been recognized in Linux (on the Mister).
2) Under Windows 10 it has also been recognized as two controllers. But I tried to push some buttons + the lever, and I couldn't see any reaction within the game controller window. So the issue still seems to be related to the wiring.

Will try to solder the pins E and F, 27 and 28 with a short wire, as suggested by Antonio.