Best option for PC shmup emulation 2021 ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Trevor spencer

Best option for PC shmup emulation 2021 ?

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

Just wondering what would be the best option for shmup emulation in 2021 , I'm only really interested in emulation shmups upto PGM stuff and will be running at 640x480 and then through my UVC into my Astro , all later stuff I'll use steam.

Easier set up the better , would rather play than mess around for days with settings :)

Hopefully these specs will be ok

Q9550
4gb DDR2 ram
HD 4550
Windows 10

I want to get the best experience with minimal lag if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
SCARTicus

Re: Best option for PC shmup emulation 2021 ?

Post by SCARTicus »

It is not clear from your post exactly what the question is. Your hardware is quite old, but fine for the vast majority of emulators. You will be able to play Dreamcast games on that PC emulated. Are you asking about good emulators to use? For which platform? Mednafen has a decent PC-Engine core, and there are tons of great shmups on PC Engine...
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

Sorry I just meant I was wondering what the best version of 31khz mame is with the smallest amount of lag.

Thanks
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The current version of MAME, use freesync/gsync, enable low latency mode (added in 0.216). Or GroovyMAME with freesync/gsync, and frame delay as high as your CPU can support. My understanding is that mainline MAME in low latency mode with some form of VRR can now get under 5ms of latency (plus whatever the monitor adds).