Sony PVM 20L5 help needed

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jeffez

Sony PVM 20L5 help needed

Post by jeffez »

Hi everyone
I just got a 20L5 pvm and it seems to be acting odd to me. At first i thought it was dead. It would make a few click/pop sounds then the tube would power off. Now the tube stays on and the menu looks nice and sharp but it still makes few click/pop sounds on power and it can't sync with any signal. I tried component and composite. It's likely i might be missing something as thus far i have only dealt with older pvms.

I found the pop was coming from this component near the fly back, i could see it flashing. I have a little experience now with crts but i have no idea what this is. Is anyone is familiar with this monitor or can offer any help?

To start with i will be removing and checking the power supply. The shielding for some reason is covered in surface rust. Has anyone seen something quite like this?

Josh128

Re: Sony PVM 20L5 help needed

Post by Josh128 »

Surface rust is likely due to the set being stored in a non climate-controlled environment. If you are seeing arcing on that component, it could be a shorted diode or something. If its arcing, it certainly needs to be replaced, and there may be other components ahead or behind it that need replacing.
jeffez

Re: Sony PVM 20L5 help needed

Post by jeffez »

Josh128 wrote:Surface rust is likely due to the set being stored in a non climate-controlled environment. If you are seeing arcing on that component, it could be a shorted diode or something. If its arcing, it certainly needs to be replaced, and there may be other components ahead or behind it that need replacing.
Good to know thanks. I looked up the NL501 in the service manual and found "NL501 1-519-526-11 s LAMP,NEON"
It's hard to find much info on what these are but hopefully i can find a replacement and see what other issues i find.