Best VGA cable brand? Also is 10FT still good for VGA?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ledoeye

Best VGA cable brand? Also is 10FT still good for VGA?

Post by ledoeye »

Hello @Shmups forum! So this week i ordered a nice Extron Vga Switcher but i'm in desperate need of VGA cables and i really don't know which cables to buy. I was considering the AmazonBasics VGA cable but by the reviews it seems bad. I need a total of like 6 VGA Cables and one of them has to be 10 FT cause 6 FT won't do it is there any downside to quality?
Where do you guys usually get your cables? Thanks in advance!
kitty666cats

Re: Best VGA cable brand? Also is 10FT still good for VGA?

Post by kitty666cats »

Liberty makes some nice ones; if you need any with 3.5mm audio attached they have some for nice n cheapo on eBay. Belden is awesome but those are usually BNC on one end.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223509641227

Here’s some real nice Extron ones also with audio!

I have an excess of nice VGA cables, some 3ft triple shielded Monoprice w/ 3.5mm audio and some longer ones that are video-only. How many do you need? Could sell you a bundle pretty cheap
Gara

Post by Gara »

I get all mine off Ebay. Extron vga cables are high quality and have very nice molded plugs that are easy to grip and unscrew. A couple years ago I replaced all my Monoprice and other crap cables with the Extron cables.

You should be able to find plenty of 6ft and 12ft versions for sale. With or without 3.5mm. Once you decide on the type you will probably have better luck searching by part number. Some people just list them as vga or db15 cables, but others will just use something like 26-238-01 which is a 6ft vga to vga.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I just went to my local Goodwill and grabbed the thickest ones they had. $2 a piece and they work great. I'm talking 2880x2160p on my PC CRT no problem.
ledoeye

Post by ledoeye »

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to check my local goodwill / ebay. I'm going to use these VGA's mostly to connect a lot of consoles to a CRT monitor i just love this thing's colors! Regarding 10 FT vga cables do you guys think i will start losing quality? I wanted to use 6 FT but i can't otherwise i have to change my whole room setup.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

10 foot is nothing to even think about worrying about for coax cables
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

BazookaBen wrote: I'm talking 2880x2160p on my PC CRT no problem.
Sorry for the off-topic question, but what kind of monster PC CRT can go this high?
ledoeye

Post by ledoeye »

I see thanks! @maxtherabbit
matt

Post by matt »

Don't buy VGA cables with built in audio jacks. Most of them are terrible and, while the video quality will be fine, the sound won't. It's better to use video only cables and run the audio separately. Extron cables may be the exception to this rule, I've never used one but that company's quality is second to none.

I have a handful of the Monoprice VGA + audio cables, and I ended up just cutting off the 3.5mm plugs and just using them for video.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Be advised that most CRT computer monitors come with VGA male cable stuck to them. Can add on female - male extender if you want.

I roll with 6 foot / 1.8m VGA cables but would use 10 foot if that's what I had. Comments are good. VGA standards were quite high imo so even no name generic for $2 Goodwill worth a shot. For sure don't run audio alongside VGA to reduce crosstalk. Plenty of people in SCART world got video crosstalking on audio and audio crosstalking on video because they cram R, G, B, S, L audio and R audio inside one jacket.

I'm a fan of Tripp Lite products when I want to pay their prices. Found their 6 foot cables gold plated for $9 each on eBay just last week.
Monoprice is respected, never seen Extron cables for sale.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I have never seen (ever) a CRT computer monitor with a pre-attached VGA cable, even going back all the way through the 90s. Perhaps they exist, but it is not the case for 99.9% of monitors.

EDIT: I clearly remembered wrong.
Last edited by Guspaz on Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Guspaz wrote:I have never seen (ever) a CRT computer monitor with a pre-attached VGA cable, even going back all the way through the 90s. Perhaps they exist, but it is not the case for 99.9% of monitors.
lol what?

literally the opposite of this is true
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Guspaz wrote:I have never seen (ever) a CRT computer monitor with a pre-attached VGA cable, even going back all the way through the 90s. Perhaps they exist, but it is not the case for 99.9% of monitors.
Every CRT PC monitor I ever owned had a permanently attached VGA cable.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

here too. Only high-end models with BNC actually did have detachable cables (and sometimes a HD15 port next to that). Every other VGA monitor I ever owned from the late 80s to the late 90s had a permanently attached VGA cable.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

fernan1234 wrote:
BazookaBen wrote: I'm talking 2880x2160p on my PC CRT no problem.
Sorry for the off-topic question, but what kind of monster PC CRT can go this high?
Late-era Diamondtrons and Trinitrons with a ~140kHz max horizontal frequency.

They can't fully resolve the resolution because of the aperture grille, but they can scan at the resolution.