GBI for OSSC Pro or Retrotink 5X Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Odolwa

GBI for OSSC Pro or Retrotink 5X Pro

Post by Odolwa »

I posted this in the Other Gaming section, I decided to post it here too, because I didn't receive any responses there in two days.

Will Extrems make a new version of the GBI (Game Boy Interface) for the OSSC Pro or for the Retrotink 5X Pro? There’s a HF version made for the original OSSC and the Framemeister, but will there be one made for the next gen scalers?
Fudoh

Re: GBI for OSSC Pro or Retrotink 5X Pro

Post by Fudoh »

Why do you think there're any different requirements for the newer processors?
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Fudoh wrote:Why do you think there're any different requirements for the newer processors?
The OSSC has terrible compatibility. It has serious problems with my main Samsung TV, which is an old plasma screen. I don't want to get a new television because this one has S-Video ports on it. I heard that the Retrotink 5X has good compatibility and the OSSC Pro will have better compatibility than the original. For that reason, I wanted to know if there will be a GBI High Fidelity profile made just for the RT5X and the new OSSC.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Odolwa wrote:
Fudoh wrote:Why do you think there're any different requirements for the newer processors?
The OSSC has terrible compatibility. It has serious problems with my main Samsung TV, which is an old plasma screen. I don't want to get a new television because this one has S-Video ports on it. I heard that the Retrotink 5X has good compatibility and the OSSC Pro will have better compatibility than the original. For that reason, I wanted to know if there will be a GBI High Fidelity profile made just for the RT5X and the new OSSC.
What do you mean by "terrible compatibility"? I have an 11 year old Samsung Plasma PN50C7000 as my main screen coming from the OSSC. No issues yet!
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Odolwa wrote:For that reason, I wanted to know if there will be a GBI High Fidelity profile made just for the RT5X and the new OSSC.
The preset already exists. It's the one for the OSSC.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

It's exactly the same signal. Why do you think a different profile would be beneficial/necessary?
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

ldeveraux wrote:What do you mean by "terrible compatibility"? I have an 11 year old Samsung Plasma PN50C7000 as my main screen coming from the OSSC. No issues yet!

I have the Samsung FP-T5884, almost none of the settings of the OSSC work with this television. It's from 2007.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Much more on the scaler developers to support what GBI can output at this point, it's all well documented and there's plenty of options. (See Extrems' last link mentioning that RT5X firmware 1.28+ is required, where mike added the 360p support)
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Odolwa wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:What do you mean by "terrible compatibility"? I have an 11 year old Samsung Plasma PN50C7000 as my main screen coming from the OSSC. No issues yet!

I have the Samsung FP-T5884, almost none of the settings of the OSSC work with this television. It's from 2007.
A (now) very rare/uncommon TV from 14 years ago that uses a technology that doesn't exist anymore that hasn't been made in 14 years is not representative enough to call the OSSC's compatibility "terrible". Did you try the various HDMI compatibility settings on the OSSC? Try different output resolutions? If it works with 2x but nothing else, I'd call that compatible, it's what the OSSC was originally intended for.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Odolwa wrote:

Get yourself a video processor like a DVDO VP50 Pro or Crestron HD Scaler.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I'd say get a new TV and a Koryuu...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Guspaz wrote:A (now) very rare/uncommon TV from 14 years ago that uses a technology that doesn't exist anymore that hasn't been made in 14 years is not representative enough to call the OSSC's compatibility "terrible". Did you try the various HDMI compatibility settings on the OSSC? Try different output resolutions? If it works with 2x but nothing else, I'd call that compatible, it's what the OSSC was originally intended for.
Which old technology that doesn't exist anymore are you referring to? The S-Video ports? You don't want S-Video ports on your TV? With an S-Video port, you can get closed captions/subtitles when you watch DVDs and VHS tapes.

It has very limited compatibility on my TV, I'm hoping the newer devices will have better compatibility, because that's what I was told they would have. Everybody keeps saying the RT5X has great compatibility and that the OSSC Pro will too, I hope they're right.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Plasma TVs are the old technology that doesn't exist anymore. The goal of devices like the OSSC and RT5X is to let you play old consoles on common modern displays. A 14-year old plasma TV is neither common nor a modern display. Which ties into my point: the compatibility of the OSSC would be determined by what percentage of TVs work with it. To say that it doesn't work with one particular rare/niche television (by what people use today) means that compatibility is "terrible" isn't accurate.

All that said, the TV in question is a 1080p unit and the RT5X in framebuffer mode should have a good chance of working with it, since it normalizes all the timings to be standard.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Heh, data point of N=1 (on an obsolete sample no less) = "terrible" compatibility. Not to be mean, but being in this hobby kind of requires a willingness to work around these thing... AFAIK, newer TVs/monitors have gotten much better across the board too.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Odolwa wrote:

I still don't understand, what doesn't "work" exactly? Can you literally not see a picture while using the OSSC on your TV? I honestly find this impossible to believe considering the default settings (mine's from VGP) worked out of the box.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

mikechi2 wrote:AFAIK, newer TVs/monitors have gotten much better across the board too.
My sample set of 3 (Dell U2711, LG 27GL850, Epson PowerLite 8345) indicates 100% compatibility with the OSSC via an unmodified SNES ;)
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

ldeveraux wrote:I still don't understand, what doesn't "work" exactly? Can you literally not see a picture while using the OSSC on your TV? I honestly find this impossible to believe considering the default settings (mine's from VGP) worked out of the box.
Here's a video I made explaining the issue I'm having.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6INHn0rIqE
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

When trying 2x mode, are you running it in "Generic 4:3"?
When trying 3x mode, have you tried both "Generic 4:3" and "Generic 16:9"?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried changing between the three TX modes ("HDMI (RGB)", "HDMI (YCbCr)", and "DVI")?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried toggling "HDMI ITC"?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried enabling "Full TX Setup"?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried changing the "Default HDMI VIC" setting?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried enabling the "Panasonic hack"?
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Guspaz wrote:When trying 2x mode, are you running it in "Generic 4:3"?
When trying 3x mode, have you tried both "Generic 4:3" and "Generic 16:9"?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried changing between the three TX modes ("HDMI (RGB)", "HDMI (YCbCr)", and "DVI")?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried toggling "HDMI ITC"?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried enabling "Full TX Setup"?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried changing the "Default HDMI VIC" setting?
For both 2x and 3x modes, have you tried enabling the "Panasonic hack"?
I tried playing around with all of those settings, I assure you it doesn’t work any other way. With the GameCube, pal games won’t play on this tv using the OSSC at all. Also, I have to use passthru, because 2x mode doesn’t work.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Are you using the Digital AV OUT port? And are you holding B at boot to put the games on 60Hz?
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Rulumi wrote:Are you using the Digital AV OUT port? And are you holding B at boot to put the games on 60Hz?
I am using GC component cables and running the games in progressive scan mode. Doshin the giant for example works on the computer through the Avermedia capture card, but it doesn’t work on the other TV.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

PAL games doesn't have progressive normally, try to see if holding B at boot (from the GC boot animation until the game boots and gives you the message option) brings a 60Hz menu, that should make the game run at 60Hz and on 720x480 and since you are using component NTSC and PAL color doesn't matter, but not all games have a 60Hz mode.
Your best bet may be to force video modes through Swiss thought.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Rulumi wrote:PAL games doesn't have progressive normally, try to see if holding B at boot (from the GC boot animation until the game boots and gives you the message option) brings a 60Hz menu, that should make the game run at 60Hz and on 720x480 and since you are using component NTSC and PAL color doesn't matter, but not all games have a 60Hz mode.
Your best bet may be to force video modes through Swiss thought.
Thanks. It works now in passthru, but not in 2x mode. Do any of you guys think that I will be able to have more scaling options if I get a Retrotink5x or the OSSC Pro, or is the tv just too old? Is it because the tv is a plasma screen? Do you guys know of any large Samsung tvs that have s-video but aren't plasma screens, and are newer?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Nothing is guaranteed, but the RT5X (and presumably the other next-gen scalers) in framebuffer mode should be presenting bog-standard 1080p timings to your TV, since it's normalizing everything through the framebuffer.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

The problem with GameCube and Wii isn't a problem with the timings as they are standard for almost everything (and the PAL equivalents), the exception is if you use specific versions of GBI for example as they try to be as close to the non standard GBA refresh rate (and you can do 360p with some too).
The problem with the OSSC is that 2x (and 4x for 480i) gives a not really standard resolution 960p that TVs and capture cards can be hit or miss in being compatible with; the 5x (and maybe the Pro too?) can put it in a 1080p frame so it shouldn't be a problem, they also have a framebuffer so you could get that versions of GBI working too in most devices with the framebuffer on too.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Those video modes aren't specific to any GBI edition. It's only the speedrunning edition that doesn't support 360p, 720i, 540p and 1080i. They otherwise do it all.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Guspaz wrote:Nothing is guaranteed, but the RT5X (and presumably the other next-gen scalers) in framebuffer mode should be presenting bog-standard 1080p timings to your TV, since it's normalizing everything through the framebuffer.
So far, everything has worked fine on my tv with framelock mode, except for the Chrono Trigger problem I showed you guys earlier in this YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz3aVuJuvG4
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

There's just one thing that I still haven't gotten to work though. I have a Pal GameCube with the Xeno Mod chip installed. Whenever I try to run the Swiss disc that the ebay seller included with it, I am unable to see Swiss run on my 1080p Samsung TV. I'm using the Retrotink5X and the Avermedia Live Gamer 4K capture card, using the loop through to output to my 1080p Samsung TV. I can see the Swiss disc fine on OBS, but it just won't show on the other TV with loop through, even if I hold B before it starts up.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Your TV may not support 50 Hz or PAL resolution.