Super NES dead after mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RocketKnight

Super NES dead after mod

Post by RocketKnight »

Yesterday, a local electronics technician performed the region mod on my SNES motherboard (NA version with 2 PPU's, separate sound module and pluggable cartridge connector). Today, I tried to power it up again, but it's dead. Not even the power LED shines. I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it's okay.

Is it possible that static charge damaged my console? Personally, I took care of preventing that by discharging myself and transporting the board in an anti-static bag and bubble wrap. Of course, I don't know how the technician treated it. Or could there be another reason for the console not powering up anymore?
Guspaz

Re: Super NES dead after mod

Post by Guspaz »

Check the SNES's fuse? Replacing it won't fix what blew the fuse in the first place (something shorted due to the region mod perhaps) but it may be why the SNES is completely nonresponsive.
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

It won’t be static charge, did it ever work after it was modified?
Fight war not wars
RocketKnight

Post by RocketKnight »

Thanks for your hint, Guspaz! I checked the fuse (it's broken) and recognized that the previous owner bypassed it with a thin wire which must have loosened during transport.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You should definitely replace the fuse with a suitable replacement, and don't put a bypass back in. The fuse is there for a reason. It's a 125 volt 1.5 amp picofuse. RetroFixes sells them for $1.99.
RocketKnight

Post by RocketKnight »

Thanks, Guspaz!
The technician replaced the fuse and the SNES works fine again. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell him it's an American 110 V device, so he put in a 250V 1.6A fuse. Could this be a problem?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I'm not an electromagician, good with a soldering iron but useless with a schematic, but my understanding is that it'll work just fine but won't offer as much protection.
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

RocketKnight wrote:Thanks, Guspaz!
The technician replaced the fuse and the SNES works fine again. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell him it's an American 110 V device, so he put in a 250V 1.6A fuse. Could this be a problem?
No it’s not a problem, the amps are the important thing.
Fight war not wars
RocketKnight

Post by RocketKnight »

Thanks, greathopper. Now, I'm relieved. (Do you say it like that in English?)