Adding rapid fire into an arcade stick with arduino/raspi

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
raskulous

Adding rapid fire into an arcade stick with arduino/raspi

Post by raskulous »

I am building an arcade stick, and would like to wire it up to have a toggle-able rapid fire circuit, similar to how they do it on the iBuffalo controllers. You hold the turbo button and press the button that you would like to have rapid fire for, then you clear it the same way, with the clear button. With this method, you can individually map rapid fire for each button on the gamepad (except the d-pad of course).

Ideally I would like this circuit to be in-between the buttons and the encoder/controller, so I can dual-mod it to work with an IPAC2 for PC/MAME use, and an MC Cthuhlu for old consoles.

My question is, this should be possible with an arduino or raspi pico, correct? I've seen some code for it called "openpewpew", but I don't fully understand the code here. Has anyone done this? Are there any experts with pico/arduino programming that would be able to help with this?
Triple Lei

Re: Adding rapid fire into an arcade stick with arduino/rasp

Post by Triple Lei »

Before you reinvent the wheel, might I suggest picking up one of these?

https://arthrimus.com/product/r-m-a-f-re-map-auto-fire/

What I really like is that you don't actually need a physical turbo button for this.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

So has anyone gotten around to trying something with an Aruduino? Would try making something myself if I could, but I have no experience in programming.

Been watching the Re.Map.Auto.Fire store page for months, and I don't think it's coming back in stock soon, if ever.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Seems like it would be a very very simple thing to do with an Arduino or similar MCU. You'd need to program it though.

I've built a couple of simple autofire circuits as well using only cheap parts with no logic chips. They rely on a variable impedance using a potmeter, so they are kinda wonky and you'll never be able to hit perfect 30hz, so it's something to consider.

I don't know if any ready-made solution does this, but a fun approach could be syncing your autofire to the video output, by hooking up and reading the video sync signal with the Arduino logic.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

I used to use an arduino nano in my cab, have some old code which I think should still work here if you want a starting point
https://github.com/buffis/openpewpew
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Rapid fire is best derived from a division of the sync rate to ensure inputs line up.

Ignoring this, Ive had more sucess with 555 timers on potentiometers when trying to get that perfect rate on games.

Also ensure you have synced rapidfire between 2 buttons so you can do things like hyperknee on Double Dragon, if punch and kick are out of sync you wont do it.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Here's another pre-made option which seems to be in stock. Found in a random search of the Fightstick Discord:

http://www.higenekodo.jp/shop/list.cgi? ... 1654172159

I know there's others out there as well... just can't remember the names.