Sound dampening the XBox One/S/X Controller?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Sound dampening the XBox One/S/X Controller?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Please refrain from saying "get some earplugs".

I was wondering how one would go about dampening the sound on the face button of the XBox One or S/X controllers? Not the pad, as I think it's too far gone. I was able to tone down the obnoxious "clacking" on the sticks buy using some material tape.

I know a guy who takes these controllers apart all the time, and he's willing to try something, but he would need an idea. I'm not exactly sure, as the buttons make noise on the way up, and not down. I don't know if it's something the button is pressing down on, or the hollowness of the buttons that make that annoying clack/click sound.

I have definitely heard about people modding the XBox One controller's buttons to be more quiet, but I cannot find anything on it other than mentions of it. Maybe changing the buttons? Some silicone inside of them? Anyone know of anything? Controller Chaos said they didn't know of any way to fix it, but... I have read about it. However, not actually seeing anything on it makes me think it's an urban legend. :lol:

Thanks in advance.
evil_ash_xero

Re: Sound dampening the XBox One/S/X Controller?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

All you tech wizards, and no ideas?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

How about seeing how those Japanese arcade buttons make the "silent" version, and see if you can do it on the Xbone. No idea how myself, or I would tell you!
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

The best I can recommend is felt adhesive for the innner control stick. Cut a strip to wrap around your joystick for your specific circumstance.

That being said the “clack” is considered tactile feedback.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362986749155?_ ... 4&LH_BIN=1
Copyright 1987
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

If you can find teardowns of the DualSense, that might give you some ideas. That controller is whisper quiet and man is it noticeable when I go back to an Xbox controller. If you do manage to find something, keep us updated, I would love to know.