Possible bricked CMVS or carts (Analogue Interactive)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

Possible bricked CMVS or carts (Analogue Interactive)

Post by Rock Man »

Alright guys, looking for of advice here. It's something I did wrong, I completely screwed up. I'm not sure what I can do to make it right. So my MVS pro came in the mail, I was to use it on my CMVS from Analogue Interactive who doesn't even make this unit anymore!

Even though I've owned my CMVS for close to 10 years now and knew how it worked, I actually haven't played it in roughly 2 years. Being away from the thing for so long made me forget about a one really IMPORTANT but BASIC thing. So, when I got the NSDP I opened the board and flipped it to compliment my console. Last game in there was Fatal Fury 3 I took it out and popped in the NSDP and all is working. It made me feel nostalgic for my originals, here is where things turned ugly!

I re-insert FF3 and was welcomed to a white/blank screen! I inserted Art of Fighting 4-5 times and got the same result. It felt like they fit comfortably so I couldn't understand what went wrong, until I looked at a video I recorded earlier before I inserted the NSDP and FF3 was inserted but in the opposite direction; I fear that I've inserted 2 of my carts in backwards! At least a few times! I took the cart out and noticed the arrow wasn't facing front. That's when I realized I bricked something.

Re-inserted few carts, AOF isn't working and I fear it maybe gone... FF3 still working, the system accepts the NSDP perfectly, Rage of the Dragons works, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad showed glitchy logos and animations but that cart was pretty banged up from the start.

With that being said I need to ask. How do I figure out if I broke something in my carts, or the CMVS, or both? Also, know of a good repair man who does unibios upgrades/memorycard installs?
Larrs888

Re: Possible bricked CMVS or carts (Analogue Interactive)

Post by Larrs888 »

Sorry to hear about your MVS woes, whilst I don't own the Analogue system I do have an Omega CMVS which I've had since 2014. From what I have read inserting carts backwards should not break an MVS system as SNK built them accommodate user error/accidents, and in an arcade setting operators could easily make this mistake. Perhaps taking the system apart and giving the cart slot, and even your original carts a good clean with Deoxit D5 might be worth a trick, also maybe try a new power supply as the Neo SD might draw a little more juice.

I hope you get it sorted!
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Larrs888 wrote:Sorry to hear about your MVS woes, whilst I don't own the Analogue system I do have an Omega CMVS which I've had since 2014. From what I have read inserting carts backwards should not break an MVS system as SNK built them accommodate user error/accidents, and in an arcade setting operators could easily make this mistake. Perhaps taking the system apart and giving the cart slot, and even your original carts a good clean with Deoxit D5 might be worth a trick, also maybe try a new power supply as the Neo SD might draw a little more juice.

Hi,

Yeah, the crisis is averted. Thanks for the reply though! Another forum informed me to clean my carts using an eraser and/or iso' once I did that my games worked like a dream! My friend brought over his MVS prior and before I cleaned them both games demonstrated similar behavior (glitchy artifacts, white or blank screens, etc.) this also tipped me off. Seems my system is okay it's the games that was acting screwy. I maintananced them and now they're fully operational! :D :) :D

Again, thanks for trying to help!
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

Rock Man wrote:
Larrs888 wrote:Sorry to hear about your MVS woes, whilst I don't own the Analogue system I do have an Omega CMVS which I've had since 2014. From what I have read inserting carts backwards should not break an MVS system as SNK built them accommodate user error/accidents, and in an arcade setting operators could easily make this mistake. Perhaps taking the system apart and giving the cart slot, and even your original carts a good clean with Deoxit D5 might be worth a trick, also maybe try a new power supply as the Neo SD might draw a little more juice.

Hi,

Yeah, the crisis is averted. Thanks for the reply though! Another forum informed me to clean my carts using an eraser and/or iso' once I did that my games worked like a dream! My friend brought over his MVS prior and before I cleaned them both games demonstrated similar behavior (glitchy artifacts, white or blank screens, etc.) this also tipped me off. Seems my system is okay it's the games that was acting screwy. I maintananced them and now they're fully operational! :D :) :D

No problem at all, glad its not the system and just some dirty carts. I have had similar issues with MVS games since they are not retail games and are always filthy unless coming from a collector that has previously taken good care of them. A decent clean and they usual work like a dream :) I'm envious of your Neo SD Pro, nice pick-up and probably the way to go considering the cost of some of the real carts these days. I'm kicking myself for not getting Mark of the Wolves back when I got my Omega, it was peanuts then compared to now but I'm glad I got Windjammers and Blazing Star when I did because they have since doubled in price.

Enjoy your setup!
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Larrs888 wrote:
Rock Man wrote:

Hi,

No problem at all, glad its not the system and just some dirty carts. I have had similar issues with MVS games since they are not retail games and are always filthy unless coming from a collector that has previously taken good care of them. A decent clean and they usual work like a dream :) I'm envious of your Neo SD Pro, nice pick-up and probably the way to go considering the cost of some of the real carts these days. I'm kicking myself for not getting Mark of the Wolves back when I got my Omega, it was peanuts then compared to now but I'm glad I got Windjammers and Blazing Star when I did because they have since doubled in price.

Enjoy your setup!
Thanks guy.

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for skipping half the games I saw. There was even a point when I spotted SamShoVS for just $300 but I turned the other way because I was worried about getting stuff for fucking 3DO and upscan converters! I am attempting to make up for lost opportunities with the Neo SD Pro. I appreciate the props my dude.

Windjammers is the only frisbee sports title I've seen. Looks fun!