MISTer 15kHz and controllers questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
matt

Re: MISTer 15kHz and controllers questions

Post by matt »

Don't bother with Blisster until you've tried regular USB controllers first. A good wired controller will have practically zero latency and you're unlikely to notice what little exists. If you're trying to save money, Daemonbite is the way to go and it doesn't get much better.

IMO the analog IO board is worth the money. Sure, you can get the same video quality with direct video and an adapter, but the if you're playing on a CRT the IO board adds some quality of life features that are very helpful. Having the ability to hook up an extra monitor via HDMI is a life saver for when your CRT doesn't want to sync properly and you need to tweak some settings without unplugging everything. Also the reset and OSD buttons are very useful.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Not all USB controllers have the same low latency. There is a list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Anything that is green in Average latency is ok but I personally don't want anything more than 2ms.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

matt wrote:Don't bother with Blisster until you've tried regular USB controllers first. A good wired controller will have practically zero latency and you're unlikely to notice what little exists. If you're trying to save money, Daemonbite is the way to go and it doesn't get much better.

IMO the analog IO board is worth the money. Sure, you can get the same video quality with direct video and an adapter, but the if you're playing on a CRT the IO board adds some quality of life features that are very helpful. Having the ability to hook up an extra monitor via HDMI is a life saver for when your CRT doesn't want to sync properly and you need to tweak some settings without unplugging everything. Also the reset and OSD buttons are very useful.
Thank you!

I see that Blisster cores are kind of a proprietary thing, or at least not something that's having continuous development (correct me if I'm wrong). That and BLISSter is two player only. While the great majority of games are two player, what if I ever want to play a 4 controller game? And on top of that, it looks like BLISSter uses the SNAC port. So for those few games where I'd want to use the SNAC and another controller (Duck Hunt, Gameboy with Gamepoy link port) then BLISSter is pointless. So it makes sense to spend potentially way less money elsewhere.

Plus the DAEMONBITE addapters look more DIY friendly. That would be something I would be interested in doing.

Is the SNAC only available if I get the I/O board? That seems something I'd be interested in (seems similar to wiringing a DAEMONBITE).
paulb_nl wrote:Not all USB controllers have the same low latency. There is a list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Anything that is green in Average latency is ok but I personally don't want anything more than 2ms.
Thanks for the list! DAEMONBITE looks like the way to go!

One question. The DE10-nano prices seem higher than before. Does this go up and down or should I buy one now for $175 or so before they're $200 or more or give it a couple months to see if the price goes down?
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Blisster has 2 Blissbox ports (use HDMI connectors) but also has 5 regular USB ports on a hub.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Issac Zachary wrote:One question. The DE10-nano prices seem higher than before. Does this go up and down or should I buy one now for $175 or so before they're $200 or more or give it a couple months to see if the price goes down?
Damn I forgot about the price hikes. Lucky I got it back when they were 145 on Amazon. They probably won't go down again, might as well just get it now.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

Another question... :?:

Where would be the best place to get the Arduino Pro Micros for the DaemonBite adapters?

Right now I only need a couple for my SNES controllers, although I wouldn't mind buying a couple or few more for other controller adapters. I thought that since DigiKey seems to have the best price right now on the DE10-Nano then why not get the Pro Micros there. But they're $18 a piece on DigiKey right now. So two makes $36 for just the boards, not to mention the adapters I'll need. I see some cheaper ones at places like Amazon but am unsure of them. This could get really expensive really quickly.

Edit:

I found this one on eBay for just a bit more than $7. That's much more doable.
matt

Post by matt »

I got these ones from Amazon. They work for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FX ... UTF8&psc=1
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

Today I finally did it and ordered my DE10-NANO!

I also picked up a free 17" CRT computer monitor from 1999. So I have three screens to choose from, the 17" CRT monitor, the 27" CRT 15kHz NTSC TV modified for RGBs, and a 42" Panasonic Plasma TV with some burn in.

I'd like to thank all of you for your help! I wouldn't have gotten it without knowing all the options that you've helped me to understand! Now I'm going to wait a little while before ordering the I/O board and the Micro Pro boards and making some SNES control adapters. Atari will probably be the next on the list, eventually, little by little.

Some day I'd like to build this into a keyboard case kind of like a C64.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

Thank you!

Today I finally got around to wiring up a Daemonbite SNES to USB adapter! It works very well! I should have done this a long time ago! I see the same board will work with NES controllers so I think I'll make two NES to SNES adapters. I have two more of those tiny Arduino boards so I think I'll use one for Atari and another for Sega contorllers. This is awesome!

Thanks again to all of you!