Extron "passive" switch SW4 VGA Ars altering the signal?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HDgaming42

Extron "passive" switch SW4 VGA Ars altering the signal?

Post by HDgaming42 »

I think I must be cursed and half the extron stuff I buy off eBay ends up being defective. Anyhow, the SW4 VGA Ars states:

VGA-QXGA RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, RsGsBs computer video, and HDTV component video
Horizontal frequency 15 kHz to 145 kHz
Vertical frequency 30 Hz to 170 Hz
output follows input

Buuuuuut, when I feed it a signal, it alters the frequency and I see a distorted picture. Testing procedure is to feed a signal into an extron 203 rxi so I can visually see what the frequency is. I then remove the signal from the 203 rxi and place it on any of the four inputs of the SW4. I then run the output of the SW4 back into the 203 rxi (which in turn then runs out to a PVM-2530). This is how I am able to determine the exact frequency.

Feeding it 15 kHz (various systems) results in
H 15.70 V 59.9 direct to 203
H 14.34 V 59.9 with the SW4 in the chain--two rolling bars of distortion and signal blanks every couple seconds

Feeding it RGBS via a dreamcast VGA switch through another 203 (to generate RGBS)
H and V normal (didn't snap a pic and now I forget) direct to 203 (from other 203)
H 30.33 - 31.47 V 64.5 - 505.0 through SW4, fluctuating wildly - did not turn the monitor on for that disaster

component video (Xbox 480p) registers as
H 31.47 V 59.9 direct to the 203, and then
H 30.34 V 505.0 once the SW4 is placed in line

There isn't a single signal I can feed it that it likes. This is highly unusual behaviour, correct? I don't like to go back at sellers and say things don't work if it's operator error, but this box is as simple as it gets. All the inputs give the same result.

I'm just confused how this is even possible in what I have to assume is essentially a switch that cannot perform any processing beyond watching for a signal on the sync line for auto switching.

Ask for a refund or am I missing something obvious? Thanks!
maxtherabbit

Re: Extron "passive" switch SW4 VGA Ars altering the signal?

Post by maxtherabbit »

Sounds broken, maybe try it with auto switching disabled?
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

maxtherabbit wrote:Sounds broken, maybe try it with auto switching disabled?
Oddly enough it didn't seem to want to auto switch. I tested each input by manual selection.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Yeah it's fucked then, send it back
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

maxtherabbit wrote:Yeah it's fucked then, send it back
Thanks--was refunded instantly. Wish there was something I could do with 25lbs of defective extron gear. Guess this joins the pile...

EDIT: there's a suprising amount of circuitry in there! Opened it up and there are at least 3 swollen caps. Maybe I'll use this unit as practice for my soldering. Not sure if faulty caps could cause what I was seeing, but clearly they aren't helping anything.