Rondo Products HD15-2-SCART

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SCARTicus

Rondo Products HD15-2-SCART

Post by SCARTicus »

Effing finally. Perfect form factor, and the price is right. Does anyone know if it will attenuate TTL sync?

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/r ... 9_zngec1o_
Fudoh

Re: Rondo Products HD15-2-SCART

Post by Fudoh »

Does anyone know if it will attenuate TTL sync?
yes it does.

But note that it does NOT provide the necessary blanking signal some Scart TVs require to actually switch into RGB mode. The HD15-2-Scart is great for any upscaler though and it's a good match if you already have a PVM/BVM with a Scart breakout input cable.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I made my own version of this dongle that does handle blanking and aspect control for scart tvs
strayan

Post by strayan »

Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Seems like a decent price for those who don't need blanking. The Tim Worthington one strayan posted is great also and perfect for those who want it for use with their Scart TVs.

RetroBob mentioned this might go open-source eventually which is cool.
parodius

Post by parodius »

My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

parodius wrote:There's also this : https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product/vga2scart/
IMO a big downside of this one is that it has a female SCART end. For all the uses I can think of a male SCART end is needed, so this one would require an additional male to male cable which is both extra cost and potential noise.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Fudoh wrote:
yes it does.

But note that it does NOT provide the necessary blanking signal some Scart TVs require to actually switch into RGB mode. The HD15-2-Scart is great for any upscaler though and it's a good match if you already have a PVM/BVM with a Scart breakout input cable.
This is going to go between an Extron VGA switcher and my LinuxBot3000 RGB-SCART to YPbPr transcoder. It is perfect for that now that I know it corrects the sync level. Thank you.
fernan1234 wrote:
parodius wrote:There's also this : https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product/vga2scart/
IMO a big downside of this one is that it has a female SCART end. For all the uses I can think of a male SCART end is needed, so this one would require an additional male to male cable which is both extra cost and potential noise.
Agreed. Also I would have the import the vga2scart from the UK, which has a more valuable currency. It is a much more expensive option compared to the HD15-2-SCART for those of use in North America, and for my particular application it is objectively inferior. This thing is for those of us who want to keep using our legacy SCART input devices while ditching the trash SCART cables altogether. It should also be a good option for interfacing a Dreamcast with VGA output to a GBS-C with a SCART input because it combines sync. Oh well it is good to have options I guess.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

For us Europeans there's also the Arcade Forge UMSA, which requires an active power source, but does provide the necessary blanking signal (just like Tim's adapter). https://arcadeforge.net/UMSA/UMSA-Ultim ... r::57.html

I guess these are all the current choices then.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Fudoh wrote:
yes it does.

Does it achieve that by putting a 330R series resistor along the Csync line?

I checked the github schematic and didn't find extra circuitry, just pass through connection. SCART C-sync is wired to VGA H-sync, no sync combination circuit.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Bob shows the device's PCB here in the video: https://youtu.be/ifb9YBIHMpU?t=92

You have a switch that's lets you toggle between RGBS and RGBHV input on the HD15 port. If it's set to RGBHV, the the signal it run through a sync combiner circuit. For attenuation a 470 ohm resister is in place.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

VEGETA wrote:I checked the github schematic and didn't find extra circuitry, just pass through connection. SCART C-sync is wired to VGA H-sync, no sync combination circuit.
This product is not, AFAIK, available on GitHub, so you may have been looking at a different circuit.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Fudoh wrote:Bob shows the device's PCB here in the video: https://youtu.be/ifb9YBIHMpU?t=92

You have a switch that's lets you toggle between RGBS and RGBHV input on the HD15 port. If it's set to RGBHV, the the signal it run through a sync combiner circuit. For attenuation a 470 ohm resister is in place.
I saw it on his channel. so 470 in series along the csync line (after XNOR)? I thought 330R is enough.
This product is not, AFAIK, available on GitHub, so you may have been looking at a different circuit.
there is a github with the same name and function as I said above, but not this one. Now I realized this.
RGB-A

Post by RGB-A »

I want to connect PC, PS4, and Switch configured in 720P resolution HDMI, converted to a DAC as HDFury or similar. Can HD15-2-SCART give me picture on my BVM-A monitor with BKM-68X?

I connect all SCART consoles of 15khz to the monitor with a Sync Strike (Arcade Forge). The HD15-2-SCART would be connected to Sync Strike, and this to BNC on the monitor.

I'm also interested in connecting Dreamcast VGA (RGB-HV) Cable, and PlayStation 2 (RGsB) with HD15-2-SCART.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

So say you want to connect a PC running CRT Emudriver to a PAL SCART CRT with an adapter like this that doesn't have the TTL attenuation.

What would actually happen? Would it possibly fry the jungle chip or something?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

BazookaBen wrote:So say you want to connect a PC running CRT Emudriver to a PAL SCART CRT with an adapter like this that doesn't have the TTL attenuation.
This does have attenuation, though it's not clear to me if it only applies it to RGBHV inputs, or also RGBS inputs that happen to be TTL as well.
RGB-A

Post by RGB-A »

BazookaBen wrote:So say you want to connect a PC running CRT Emudriver to a PAL SCART CRT with an adapter like this that doesn't have the TTL attenuation.

What would actually happen? Would it possibly fry the jungle chip or something?
What I want is to connect directly without depending on an extron, nor another extra device that needs a current food, a 720p HDMI signal by means of a DAC HDMI to VGA converter to HD15-2-SCART, and East to SYNC STRIKE . Will this provide an image of 720p HDMI devices on BVM-A by RGB connected to BKM-68X?

I summarize with an example the order of the link:

PS4 Console configured at 720p resolution through HDMI Cable-> DAC (HDM to VGA "15 D-Sub" Adapter) -> HD15-2-SCART-> Sync Strike (SCART to 15 D-Sub Adapter) -> 15 D-Sub to X4 BNC Cable Cable-> Monitor.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.arcadexpress.com/es/arcadev ... audio.html

There's this thing too.

Wish there was a HD15 to HD15 version, for input to GBS8200 units etc etc
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

how does it handle sync combining though?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

VEGETA wrote:how does it handle sync combining though?
Do you mean the one I just posted? Scroll down a little further and they explain in quite good detail (may need to use Google translate). There’s also a Microcontroller implemented in the circuit
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

kitty666cats wrote:
VEGETA wrote:how does it handle sync combining though?
Do you mean the one I just posted? Scroll down a little further and they explain in quite good detail (may need to use Google translate). There’s also a Microcontroller implemented in the circuit
they mentioned a microcontroller but didn't explain how they are handling it. what about the one in this thread?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://hackaday.io/project/165634-the- ... rt-adapter

The one I posted is a design that’s been around a few years, this link is where it originated.

http://vga-scart-converter-f-15.mozello ... m/1443803/

^ there’s a less-known alternative design
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Most of these questions are answered in the main launch page. Not sure why no one bothered to post this: https://www.retrorgb.com/hd15-2-scart-adapter.html
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

kitty666cats wrote:https://hackaday.io/project/165634-the- ... rt-adapter

The one I posted is a design that’s been around a few years, this link is where it originated.

http://vga-scart-converter-f-15.mozello ... m/1443803/

^ there’s a less-known alternative design
Thanks for these links.

Is this a better solution than XNOR circuit? I keep seeing people whining about XNORed Csync.

I finished a design of RGB SCART + RGBHV VGA to composite\component\s-video converter which uses an XNOR csync generation circuit to be injected into Y signal of YPbPr while composite+s-video is generated by ad725 using separate sync (from LMH1980). I wasn't so happy with XNOR circuit but it is the only thing available.

with this now, maybe a redesign is about to begin. If I am going to use an MCU, maybe the NTSC\PAL detector circuit is gonna be offloaded to it which will save space and bom.

I wonder why no one implemented this PIC design in these cheap and generic VGA to Component boxes?
awe444

Post by awe444 »

fernan1234 wrote:This does have attenuation, though it's not clear to me if it only applies it to RGBHV inputs, or also RGBS inputs that happen to be TTL as well.
I have this same question. Does the 470 ohm resistor only get used when the sync combination is toggled on? What happens if an already-combined TTL-level Csync signal is input?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

awe444 wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:This does have attenuation, though it's not clear to me if it only applies it to RGBHV inputs, or also RGBS inputs that happen to be TTL as well.
I have this same question. Does the 470 ohm resistor only get used when the sync combination is toggled on? What happens if an already-combined TTL-level Csync signal is input?

I'm still wondering about that. Does anyone have a way to ask the designer Tian Feng? We were supposed to just test this by ourselves at this point, but Castlemania keeps delaying shipping for these.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Tianfeng — Today at 11:10 AM
There is a switch
To go between the two. The 470 only gets applied after the switch is set to RGBs mode
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
There is a switch
To go between the two. The 470 only gets applied after the switch is set to RGBs mode
Thanks, if I'm understanding correctly this would mean that if the RGBs (sync-combining) mode is selected, the 470hm resistor would be active even if the input is already RGBs but TTL and so the output would be RGBs attenuated to video level. Is that right?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

fernan1234 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
There is a switch
Thanks, if I'm understanding correctly this would mean that if the RGBs (sync-combining) mode is selected, the 470hm resistor would be active even if the input is already RGBs but TTL and so the output would be RGBs attenuated to video level. Is that right?
That's how I interpreted his answer yes
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Correct, we chose that resistor specifically because it should drop all TTL-level signals to safe levels for SCART, but also because it still might work if your dsub cable feeds it lower voltage sync. There are very few (homebrew) scenarios that you'd find a dsub connector outputting RGBs, with video-level sync, but this is a happy medium. Absolute worse case scenario: You don't get a sync signal, with no chance of harming your equipment.

...and, of course, RGBHV is combined with a circuit that drops the voltage and converts it to RGBs.