Rondo Products HD15-2-SCART

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Re: Rondo Products HD15-2-SCART

Post by fernan1234 »

If all you need is a sync combiner with the convenience of SCART output then yeah that should be fine. In my case it would be useless because what I need is simply connector conversion (DSub15 to SCART) and attenuation (TTL to video level) for devices that annoyingly only support SCART standard for RGBS. Alternatively you could use the cheap Extron sync combiners that are always easily available (maybe not in Europe?) + a BNC to SCART attenuated cable.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Anyone have contact with Castlemania Games to try and get an update on these? They claim they're shipping daily but I don't think that's true.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Well, I'd like to get one or two for sure, but it looks to be vaporware.
hyp36rmax

Post by hyp36rmax »

mario64 wrote:Anyone have contact with Castlemania Games to try and get an update on these? They claim they're shipping daily but I don't think that's true.
Yep not true at all. I think CM is buying time. He has poor service history with numerous delays and non-existent communications. The first issue was delay between Rondo and him (Acceptable), Second Delay was due to lack of cases for the HD15-2-Scart, Third delay is the factory somehow forgot to solder the SCART head onto the PCB.... :roll:

And now CM is claiming he is shipping but NO ONE has been able to confirm reciept of their orders.

Feel free to follow this Twitter Thread discussing this, https://twitter.com/CastleManiaRyan/sta ... 3692637185
mario64

Post by mario64 »

hyp36rmax wrote:
mario64 wrote:Anyone have contact with Castlemania Games to try and get an update on these? They claim they're shipping daily but I don't think that's true.
Yep not true at all. I think CM is buying time. He has poor service history with numerous delays and non-existent communications. The first issue was delay between Rondo and him (Acceptable), Second Delay was due to lack of cases for the HD15-2-Scart, Third delay is the factory somehow forgot to solder the SCART head onto the PCB.... :roll:

And now CM is claiming he is shipping but NO ONE has been able to confirm reciept of their orders.

Feel free to follow this Twitter Thread discussing this, https://twitter.com/CastleManiaRyan/sta ... 3692637185
Thank you. Glad to at least know I’m not alone in this mess.
hyp36rmax

Post by hyp36rmax »

mario64 wrote:
hyp36rmax wrote:

Thank you. Glad to at least know I’m not alone in this mess.
You’re definitely not alone here.

https://twitter.com/castlemaniaryan/sta ... 20130?s=21

If you all have pending orders here you go.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

I'll believe it if and when I see it but thank you very much for the link.
hyp36rmax

Post by hyp36rmax »

Just received my tracking number from CM. Let’s see how quick this arrives…
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

hyp36rmax wrote:Just received my tracking number from CM. Let’s see how quick this arrives…
Same here, got one last night, though it's not actually picked up by USPS yet. But it does show they're finally getting to process these.
hyp36rmax

Post by hyp36rmax »

First HD15-2-SCART in the wild!

https://twitter.com/paisleyboxers/statu ... 39273?s=20

Anyone on here?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

hyp36rmax wrote:Anyone on here?
Mine arrived yesterday. Won't have a chance to test it for a while but I'm sure it's fine. Build feels solid.
hyp36rmax

Post by hyp36rmax »

Awesome! I received my RetroUpgrade VGA2SCART and Rondo HD15-2-SCART relatively a day a part. Both seem to perform as expected on the same playing field with the exception of an additional feature of the VGA2SCART allowing for external power for sources without power on the VGA pin. This is definitely an edge case scenario, but a welcoming feature for those that may need it.

My main goal with these adapters is to be able to combine them with a RetroTINK5X Pro to scale arcade PCB's with VGA out such as NAOMI, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, Atomiswave, Namco System 12, etc.

Acquiring each one depends on the etailer.

Although Tian Feng is the developer of the Rondo HD15-2-SCART (Who did a remarkable job on this device BTW, Major kudo's to him), the outlet managing the project is CastleMania who i've had a terrible buying experience with based on communications. Fear not Tian Feng plans to open source his device, he didn't want to alienate our orders from CastleMania (Fair). I highly recommend waiting on the open source to acquire this. I love the compact design and it works!

Now due to the PIA experience with CastleMania I was in need of an alternative, fortunately I found RetroUpgrades in the UK offering a similar open source project based on Mike Chi's VGA2SCART PCB project. This is a WIN/WIN situation here. Not only was this IN-STOCK, but I received fantastic presale, postsale support throughout my experience. i didn't even mention the trouble I and what seems like many people on this forum and Twitter were experiencing through CastleMania. RetroUpgrades just delivered. VGA2SCART works as expected similar to HD15-2-SCART, the only difference as stated above is the additional feature for external power. Although you will need a SCART cable to connect it, I opted for a SCART Coupler, either way will work.

Rondo HD15-2-SCART: Attract mode sample: https://youtu.be/ZqW0Zc-R1zQ
RetroUpgrades VGA2SCART: Attract mode sample: https://youtu.be/FtpSDpUbzV4

RetroUpgrades VGA2SCART X Rondo HD15-2-SCART

RetroUpgrade VGA2SCART + SCART Coupler

Rondo HD15-2-SCART

Rondo HD15-2-SCART + RetroTINK5X Pro

Testing Rondo HD15-2-SCART with Tatsunoko VS Capcom Arcade Based Wii

Testing RetroUpgrade VGA2SCART with Tatsunoko VS Capcom Arcade Based Wii

Rondo HD15-2-SCART External Screen Shot

RetroUpgrade VGA2SCART External Screen Shot

More comparison shots here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/hDJXnFK

Hope this helps you all! Cheers!
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

RetroUpgrades = awesome, very communicative and open to ideas/suggestions. They will also adjust your orders (i.e. you want a SCART2VGA to pull 5V from SCART and not from external power - they will adjust the solder blob for you prior to shipment)
hyp36rmax

Post by hyp36rmax »

Here's a comparison of RONDO HD15-2-SCART and RetroUpgrades VGA2SCART. No discernable differences with expected behavior in IQ. The only difference was enabling HD15-2-SCART H&V Sync on ATOMISWAVE. Based on availability and service i'd recommend VGA2SCART. Once Tian Feng releases his open project files for the HD15-2-SCART, then i'd recommend this one as well.

https://youtu.be/FtkjYNVVfew
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

Will these ever be restocked?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

No shit, its a sad situation.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

Castlemania is at least accepting preorders on this now and says the new round will ship end of January.

Does anyone know whether 720p RGBHV passed into the HD15-2-SCART will be correctly combined into RGBS, and furthermore whether the RetroTink 5X would be able to then downscale that 720p RGBS to 240p?
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

awe444 wrote:Castlemania is at least accepting preorders on this now and says the new round will ship end of January.

Does anyone know whether 720p RGBHV passed into the HD15-2-SCART will be correctly combined into RGBS, and furthermore whether the RetroTink 5X would be able to then downscale that 720p RGBS to 240p?
Yes I pre-ordered one on Monday, never getting any sort of notice from CM despite being on the mailing list for that product page. While I'm no expert, pretty certain the 5x downscales anything 720p to 240p if you turn on the downscaler option. However, I think you just have to leave the HD15-2-SCART switch to pass through for RGBHV signals.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

awe444 wrote:Does anyone know whether 720p RGBHV passed into the HD15-2-SCART will be correctly combined into RGBS, and furthermore whether the RetroTink 5X would be able to then downscale that 720p RGBS to 240p?
The HD15-2-SCART doesn't care about resolution at all, it's simply a sync combiner. It should work the same as if you passed 720p over SCART.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

retrorgb wrote:
awe444 wrote:Does anyone know whether 720p RGBHV passed into the HD15-2-SCART will be correctly combined into RGBS, and furthermore whether the RetroTink 5X would be able to then downscale that 720p RGBS to 240p?
The HD15-2-SCART doesn't care about resolution at all, it's simply a sync combiner. It should work the same as if you passed 720p over SCART.
Hey Bob, have you heard anything about anyone planning on making more SCART2DVI boards at some point? I have found mine very handy a couple different times when the LPF cleaned up an otherwise slightly-messy signal (chaining GBS Control 1080p into my OSSC on passthrough for my Plasma TV with awful VGA processing, using 15kHz consoles on a projector that uses a VGA connector for RGB in, testing out various video processors which occasionally benefit from the LPF). I just stick a male DVI-A to male VGA dongle on the end, when needed.

Tangentially related... but also pretty relevant! Heh.