Retrotink RGB2COMP TTL csync?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nes.og

Retrotink RGB2COMP TTL csync?

Post by nes.og »

Does anyone know if the Retrotink RGB2COMP will safely input TTL csync?

Info is appreciated, thanks!
Guspaz

Re: Retrotink RGB2COMP TTL csync?

Post by Guspaz »

While I can't answer the question specifically (other than to say that it very likely does not support TTL sync even if it appears to work), you should *never* use TTL sync as the final output for SCART or BNC unless you are in a very specific situation that requires it. The vast majority of devices will not support it and it may cause damage slowly over time. The only standard there is for sync on SCART is cvbs, with luma sync and 75ohm csync being variants of that. VGA uses TTL sync, but VGA is not SCART.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

The output is RGB with Csync from an Extron MVX and I’m looking at purchasing the RGB2COMP. I’m not sure if I’ll need to use a resistor to bring down to 75ohm sync. Planning on building a DB-15 to SCART cable but despise SCART to the point that I may desolder the SCART jack from the RGB2COMP and solder directly to the PCB lol. No big deal to just add the resistor to be safe but was wondering if was necessary because the specs on the device don’t make it clear.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

If the device has a SCART input, you should assume it needs 300mVpp video level sync, as was previously said
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If you need to feed VGA into SCART, you might want to look into this thing that Bob just reviewed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifb9YBIHMpU

It has a switch to say "combine H/V into csync" or "pass csync through a resistor to make the voltage safe".

You can basically just use it to give the RGB2SCART a VGA input.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Thanks for your input guys!

I’ll put together a cable but that adapter will be a nice option for people.
matt

Post by matt »

I use my RGB2Comp with an MVX switcher. It works fine with a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line.

I agree that SCART is a silly connector, but it's just one device that sits behind the switcher and is never unplugged. A short de15 to scart cable does the job fine.
Last edited by matt on Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Word!