Crystalio II users. Do you still use it? Any tips or tricks?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gara

Crystalio II users. Do you still use it? Any tips or tricks?

Post by Gara »

After many years of wanting one, I finally got my hands on a working Crystalio II 3800. Right now I'm routing the signals through an OSSC into the Crystalio. The menu system is absolutely amazing after having a Dvdo vp50 pro And an Optoma hd3000. 480p upscaling is great looking, but not quite as mind blowing as it would have been to me a few years ago. TV scaling has come a long way and the Retrotink 5x does a decent job. The Extron DSC 301 HD is quite nice at 480p as well, although I find it a bit annoying to use.

I was wondering how many of you still use a Crystalio II in your setup and what you use it for. Any tips or tricks you could share would also be great appreciated. Anyone using it on a CRT?

I'm especially curious to know if there is any benefits to running my consoles through the analog inputs rather than HDMI via the OSSC. Like any differences in lag for example.
tongshadow

Re: Crystalio II users. Do you still use it? Any tips or tri

Post by tongshadow »

Modern scan converters have killed these vintage video processors for good. My DVDO VP30+ has been stored away because not only I play on CRTs now, since upscaling low resolutions isnt the way to go imo, but also because my XRGB-2 Plus does everything better.

But the DVDO can be useful as a proper analog->digital converter, as it will handle virtually any input/output signals, and as a convenient hub switch.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I’d imagine its best use is for old video formats like VHS and Laserdisc, though obviously newer media and video games also have plenty of benefits (particularly if you aren’t obsessed with lag and just wanna dial in a real cool-looking high res image)! As far as CRTs go, the thing will REALLY shine if you ever find yourself with a higher-spec CRT projector. Though there’s plenty of fun to be had with HD CRT TVs - especially @ 540p/1080i & also high progressive resolutions on PC CRTs :)

Play around and take pics / videos! That’s always my best advice, haha
Guile

Post by Guile »

Have you tried 480i on the CII? I would be interested to see what you think of it compared to the 5x and vp50 pro.

I just got a vp50 and I think the deinterlacing is very impressive, definitely among the best I've seen. It's interesting that you can choose the FLI-2300 or the VXP on the Crystalio, have you tried those and compared?

Can the Crystalio do instant transitions on games like RE2 or Chrono Cross?

I think the DVDOs are actually far from obsolete at least for non bob deinterlacing 480i.