What's your opinion of my Slangp CRT-like shader I coded?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
buddha2525

What's your opinion of my Slangp CRT-like shader I coded?

Post by buddha2525 »

View these full resolution or else they'll have weird lines.

3.5X

4X

4.75X

buddha2525

Re: What's your opinion of my Slangp CRT-like shader I coded

Post by buddha2525 »

I've been tweaking my shader.

Here's it at 3.214285714285714x. As you can see, no matter what resolution you do, works.

But resolutions under 3x don't work.

fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Looks pretty nice! Obviously the higher you can push the resolution the better. And will also need to compensate for the big brightness hit that the filter produces.
buddha2525

Post by buddha2525 »

fernan1234 wrote:Looks pretty nice! Obviously the higher you can push the resolution the better. And will also need to compensate for the big brightness hit that the filter produces.
I compensated for that.

Notice how the center of each pixel has a really bright spot?

The center is bright, then the edges get dimmer. Even the scanline area gets dimmer using the inverse square law by using halation and diffusion.
dojima

Post by dojima »

Not too bad. I'd probably position it at the end of another shader to muddy up the image a bit more so that it doesn't look quite so digital, but it looks nice. Agree with fernan that the first two shots look a bit dark for my liking. ALttP looks about right to me.

Resolution consistency is very nice. I hated when I'd have something that looked great in a small window but couldn't scale to my TV. Was never able to figure out why that was or how to fix it as a novice using RetroArch.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

It looks like a fixed pixel display to me with a grid both horizontal and vertical, like one of my earlier 480p plasmas.

Doesn't look anything like any of my Sony Trinitrons (either consumer, or professional PVM and BVM's) which have clearly defined blanking lines (even over less-great signals like composite).
buddha2525

Post by buddha2525 »

Dochartaigh wrote:It looks like a fixed pixel display to me with a grid both horizontal and vertical, like one of my earlier 480p plasmas.

Doesn't look anything like any of my Sony Trinitrons (either consumer, or professional PVM and BVM's) which have clearly defined blanking lines (even over less-great signals like composite).
That's exactly right. Which is why I said "CRT-like." Maybe the title should be edited to "CRT/Plasma-like"?

There's plenty of shaders out there which give the "PVM/BVM" look, like Kurozumi. That wasn't my goal. Also, those shaders are very GPU intensive, and don't look good at non-integer scaling.

My goal was: 1)looks good and like a consumer grade phosphor based at 3x.
2) Descent scanlines at 4x.
3) If you really want the PVM/BVM look, my shader needs at least 6x.

Where this is at 9x (of course this is only a small portion at 1366x768 of the full 2688x2016 image.) since my Macbook only goes that resolution native.

If you look at this image on a 4k display, it should have your BVM "clearly defined blanking lines."

buddha2525

Post by buddha2525 »

I personally think BVM scanlines are horribly ugly... So here you go!

6x