shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:16 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Hi8 Capture
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:59 am 

Any ideas on how to capture Hi8 tapes? I have an old Sony Hi8 camcorder, but all it does is monaural. Anyone know how to capture in higher quality, like S-Video? I can't find an S-Video Hi8 camcorder that isn't a lemon.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hi8 Capture
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:57 pm 

I've used a digitization company that specializes in this sort of thing in the past. Well worth it if you only have a few items to digitize. The quality i got it back in was miles above anything i could have produced myself and it wasn't extremely expensive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:13 pm 

spmbx wrote:
I've used a digitization company that specializes in this sort of thing in the past. Well worth it if you only have a few items to digitize. The quality i got it back in was miles above anything i could have produced myself and it wasn't extremely expensive.

They're private home videos, I don't want anyone else seeing them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:10 am 

Odolwa wrote:
Any ideas on how to capture Hi8 tapes? I have an old Sony Hi8 camcorder, but all it does is monaural. Anyone know how to capture in higher quality, like S-Video? I can't find an S-Video Hi8 camcorder that isn't a lemon.

This thread over at DigitalFAQ is worth going through thoroughly:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10257-video8-hi8-digital8.html

That said, however, you'll want to find the instruction manual PDF for the specific model you're looking at, which Sony seems good at posting online.

There's Hi8 models with S-video + TBC, but for stereo audio you'll need either a deck or earlier camcorder. Other than the monaural-only CCD-TRV67, it appears that all pre-2000 Sony Hi8 camcorders have stereo audio? Near as I can tell, 1999's Sony CCD-TRV87 is the last Hi8 FM stereo model made, at least for NTSC.

Playback on Digital8 is an option, but I'm pretty sure no Digital8 deck/camera had a 100% analog signal path. Just be aware the IEEE 1394 digital output on Digital8 will be a very lossy 4:1:1 chroma subsampling due to the DV codec itself. Firewire is the way to go for real Digital8 tapes, but for analog tape capture you'll likely be better off with the 4:2:2 of S-video.

Offline Profile