Taito EGRET II mini cabinet coming 2022 spring

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lovecraft

Re: Taito EGRET II mini cabinet coming 2022 spring

Post by lovecraft »

cfx wrote:
lovecraft wrote:You've been on the wrong Amazon page, it is definitely available and in stock, I ordered the Vol.1+console bundle a few days ago, but the single Vol.1 is also in stock as well.
Are you in the US? If you aren't, you have no clue what you are talking about.
No reason to be patronizing.
Ok I see, so it seems the problem comes from sort of "geo profiling" practiced by Amazon Japan, but contrary to what the previous person told, it is not sold-out and not out-of-stock everywhere.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

You can order Vol.1 from Germany... but I see no reason to do so at that stupid price.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
arcade-stg

Post by arcade-stg »

One can also install batocera and play their arcade games everywhere:

https://youtu.be/9r00JH9TzL8
:twisted:
A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

lovecraft wrote:
cfx wrote:
lovecraft wrote:You've been on the wrong Amazon page, it is definitely available and in stock, I ordered the Vol.1+console bundle a few days ago, but the single Vol.1 is also in stock as well.
Are you in the US? If you aren't, you have no clue what you are talking about.
No reason to be patronizing.
Ok I see, so it seems the problem comes from sort of "geo profiling" practiced by Amazon Japan, but contrary to what the previous person told, it is not sold-out and not out-of-stock everywhere.
Well every online retailer that did have it for sale, has had it showing as out of stock. Not just Amazon.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Still available on amazon.co.jp for shipping within Japan (and some foreign countries) as I type.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

arcade-stg wrote:One can also install batocera and play their arcade games everywhere:

Real "Don't talk to me or my son ever again" energy.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Not saying anything new here, but I have to assume it's a licensing thing.

The Egret II Mini unit itself is going for deep sale price on Amazon, and I think the American retailers probably (rightly) worried about cannibalizing sales. Big numbers still in-stock at SLG and Rocket at full price. Wish there was a way around the geo-restrictions - saw a bundle up for like 20k yen. Full collection in USA going for north of $500.

More apropos: how does the collection feel to everyone who got it? Anything notable or out of the ordinary? How are the included materials?
strygo

Post by strygo »

jehu wrote:Not saying anything new here, but I have to assume it's a licensing thing.
I was able to purchase it just now using Zen Market for approximately $67. I've used Zen Market for other sites before - I very much recommend the service.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Udderdude wrote:
arcade-stg wrote:One can also install batocera and play their arcade games everywhere:

Real "Don't talk to me or my son ever again" energy.
What do you mean?
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

So is this confirmation of more games?

https://twitter.com/TaitoASelection/sta ... zBhqMtAAAA
Glick

Post by Glick »

Anyone run into issues on this thing where the insert coin button does nothing? Can't seem to get it to work, rest of the buttons are fine. Probably used the thing for a total of 5 minutes before the button stopped working.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Glick wrote:Anyone run into issues on this thing where the insert coin button does nothing? Can't seem to get it to work, rest of the buttons are fine. Probably used the thing for a total of 5 minutes before the button stopped working.
Does it happen with a joypad/stick attached, or only the button directly on the unit?
Glick

Post by Glick »

SavagePencil wrote:
Glick wrote:Anyone run into issues on this thing where the insert coin button does nothing? Can't seem to get it to work, rest of the buttons are fine. Probably used the thing for a total of 5 minutes before the button stopped working.
Does it happen with a joypad/stick attached, or only the button directly on the unit?
I haven't been able to get any of my USB controllers to work with it. Do only specific ones work?

Edit: If I press hard and wiggle the button it sometimes works. Must be a loose connection. Not sure how good of an idea it is to open this thing up though.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

They should have added a menu shortcut on the joypad a long time ago. It really needs specially if your playing with control pads. On the Mini V you can do it by pressing 2 buttons at the same time.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

The next "Arcade Selection Vol.2" SD card has been officially approved by TAITO early this month:
https://www.4gamer.net/games/579/G057941/20230302134/
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I confess. I’m a fan. I’ll buy it.
Glick

Post by Glick »

Just to update on anyone who has the button issue, took the Mini apart pretty easily. 6 small phillips head screws on the bottom, 4 are hidden by the pads, so peel those off carefully. The controller board has 3 more screws, but is easy to safely remove. The blue button was slightly out of alignment with the board, correcting that mostly resolved the issue. Still have to press it slightly harder, I suspect there's a minor machining defect in the cutout of the button and how it lines up. Works well enough though.
Steven

Post by Steven »

What are some decent controllers that work on this thing aside from the official controllers? I know the Mayflash F300 works, as well as the various Astro City Mini controller. Anyone tried any Hori controllers/arcade sticks or anything else?
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

What do you think of the games selection in the VOL.2 cartridge announced for a december release ?

Here is the list in Vol.2:

Night Striker (1989)
Return of the Invaders (1985)
Crime City (1989)
Cloud Master/Chuka Taisen (1988)
Wardner/Pyros (1987)
Twin Cobra 2 (1995)
Thundercade/Twin Formation (1987)
Wyvern F-0 (1985)
Operation Wolf (1987)
And Yūyu no Quiz de Go! Go! (1990)
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

There is even an Amazon Special bundled with Vol.2: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/produc ... =UTF8&th=1

Created by these guys: https://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xe1aj-usb/x ... lery01.jpg

You can play Night Striker with it (possibly others too)
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

waiwainl wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:01 pm There is even an Amazon Special bundled with Vol.2: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/produc ... =UTF8&th=1

https://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xe1aj-usb/x ... lery01.jpg
Created by these guys: https://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xe1aj-usb/x ... lery01.jpg

You can play Night Striker with it (possibly others too)
I've seen this, but I find the games selection unattractive for the near 9000 JPY high price tag :? ...Very old games and a strange choice to have included Operation Wolf and that quiz game. The most attractive game of the compilation is probably Twin Cobra 2 IMO, but it's very little out of a total of 10 games.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Kyuukyoku Tiger II was highly unexpected. Tatsujin doesn't have the rights to that game as far as I know, so Taito probably got it after Takumi died or had it from the time that Toaplan died.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

My guess is that Operation Wolf supports the Cyber Stick too. I watched a video of someone playing the PCE version on MiSTer (PCE core supports XE-1 AP games) with a similar analog stick (thrustmaster) and he was able to 1cc with that thing (IIRC). I think the game used a positional stick in the arcade, so a flight stick is probably not a bad way to play it.
parodius

Post by parodius »

In the arcade Operation Wolf used a light gun, while Operation Thunderbolt used a positional one.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Interestingly, this volume doesn't seem to suffer from the same location restriction that the first volume did - it currently ships to the US.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

BrianC wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:28 pm My guess is that Operation Wolf supports the Cyber Stick too. I watched a video of someone playing the PCE version on MiSTer (PCE core supports XE-1 AP games) with a similar analog stick (thrustmaster) and he was able to 1cc with that thing (IIRC). I think the game used a positional stick in the arcade, so a flight stick is probably not a bad way to play it.
I can’t imagine using this device to play Lightgun games... I'm afraid that's a "big device" really useful for very few games in the end... Strange marketing choices end to end, even though I know that when you’re a passionate fan, you don’t count the expense !
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

This would be the first arcade version of Night Striker available, and those of us with the Cyber Stick will be pleasantly engaged with it. This is awesome. Also, I've never played Wyvern F-0 so that's exciting.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

SavagePencil wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:25 pm This would be the first arcade version of Night Striker available, and those of us with the Cyber Stick will be pleasantly engaged with it. This is awesome. Also, I've never played Wyvern F-0 so that's exciting.
I think the original arcade port of Night Striker is included in the nice Sega Saturn version. It's also in the Taito Memories II Gekan on PlayStation 2.
It's good, not a masterpiece imo, but it's true there is a strong fan base about this game.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

The Saturn version is a port (and I’d be interested to compare them side by side). Wasn’t aware that it had made the cut for the JP PS2 anthologies.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I just ordered the Amazon pack with the Cyber Stick, Merry Christmas to me. Missed out on the stick around the MD Mini II release and sort of regretted not hopping on that, and the bundle price is not bad. I'm assuming this is the same stick and will also work with the MD Mini II (and vice versa, for anyone who bought the recent USB Cyber Stick released alongside the MD), but if anyone knows that not to be true please let me know :)

Night Striker and Operation Wolf seem confirmed as supporting the stick. Interestingly, there was also an Egret II Mini firmware update released on August 25, which features a few game updates as well as "compatibility with USB Cyber Stick". So, question... anyone know if that compatibility is just in advance of the Vol.2 games, or does it also support anything from the Egret II Mini's base game list or Vol.1??