Taito EGRET II mini cabinet coming 2022 spring

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Konsolkongen

Re: Taito EGRET II mini cabinet coming 2022 spring

Post by Konsolkongen »

Supposedly the new firmware update has fixes to the Arkanoid games. Perhaps they fell much less laggy now?

https://www-taito-co-jp.translate.goog/ ... r_pto=wapp
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Quiet a few jp twitter reports say games feel less laggier to play, stg including…a more responsive Rainbow Islands would be great…looking forward to update mine later today.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Updated mine, it definitely improves things. Darius Gaiden felt much more sharp.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

From the firmware update page (https://www.taito.co.jp/en/egret2mini/support/update ):
The game screen of all titles was displayed at the resolution of each original board, but the display method is changed to the aspect ratio of 4:3.
The display method for the HDMI output has been changed to display the game screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3.
What is the result of this change?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Sounds like worse scaling to me. Like everything is now forced to a fixed 4:3 ratio rather than square pixels? I haven't seen what the Egret II looks like with HDMI out, so I'm just guessing.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

SavagePencil wrote:From the firmware update page (https://www.taito.co.jp/en/egret2mini/support/update ):
The game screen of all titles was displayed at the resolution of each original board, but the display method is changed to the aspect ratio of 4:3.
The display method for the HDMI output has been changed to display the game screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3.
This is what happens.
https://twitter.com/TaitoASelection/sta ... XKhIZl3NqQ
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I updated mine too. Definitely notice an improvement. Controls feel more responsive in the games I have tried after the update. Qix not only has the correct scoring, but the response feels closer to the Arcade Archives version now too.

So far, the 4:3 seems to be an improvement. From what I can tell, it looks better with filtering set to off (which really is off now) than it did previously.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Updated the Egret last night. Quiet a diference in input. Everything feels more responsive. Only Truxton kinda feels the same to me….they did fix the color of the background. Now looks like the pcb. I would like a decent scanline option and being able to access the menu via control pad, maybe in the future.
Meanwhile the pre order for the Vol1 card is available on Amazon.jp.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

DenimDemon wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:From the firmware update page (https://www.taito.co.jp/en/egret2mini/support/update ):
This is what happens.
That means all the games will not be full screen anymore and now have these black bars left and right on the Mini screen ?... Not sure I want that :?
But I don't get it, wasn't the Egret Mini screen supposed to be 4:3 ?
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

lovecraft wrote:
DenimDemon wrote:
This is what happens.
That means all the games will not be full screen anymore and now have these black bars left and right on the Mini screen ?... Not sure I want that :?
But I don't get it, wasn't the Egret Mini screen supposed to be 4:3 ?
Is the opposite :) they weren’t filling the whole 4:3 screen. Now they are.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

DenimDemon wrote:Is the opposite :) they weren’t filling the whole 4:3 screen. Now they are.

I don't want to get into the elitist debate of scrupulously respectful screen resolutions, but what I see from your link is that games no longer fill the screen of the mini, so the image is 25 % smaller than before with black bars left and right... Not sure I want that.

Edit: Or then I did not understand that the updated version is on the left ?
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

lovecraft wrote:
DenimDemon wrote:Is the opposite :) they weren’t filling the whole 4:3 screen. Now they are.

I don't want to get into the elitist debate of scrupulously respectful screen resolutions, but what I see from your link is that games no longer fill the screen of the mini, so the image is 25 % smaller than before with black bars left and right... Not sure I want that.
You have two photos. The one with grey bar is the stock firmware. Legend of Kage looks almost Tate oriented. The photo without the grey bars is after updating with the new firmware.

Here I’ve took a photos before the update.

This is how Legend of Kage looked with the stock firmware.

Even in Ninja Kids you could see a grey bar on top and bottom.

Now after the update the games fill the whole screen correctly.

Ps - yea! Left is after!:)
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

DenimDemon wrote:
lovecraft wrote:

You have two photos. The one with grey bar is the stock firmware. Legend of Kage looks almost Tate oriented. The photo without the grey bars is after updating with the new firmware.

Here I’ve took a photos before the update.

This is how Legend of Kage looked with the stock firmware.

Even in Ninja Kids you could see a grey bar on top and bottom.

Now after the update the games fill the whole screen correctly.

Ps - yea! Left is after!:)
Wow okay, thanks for the precision ! :)
So the updated version is the one in the left picture... Great !
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

DenimDemon wrote: Meanwhile the pre order for the Vol1 card is available on Amazon.jp.
Can you link to the pre-order?
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

SavagePencil wrote:
DenimDemon wrote: Meanwhile the pre order for the Vol1 card is available on Amazon.jp.
Sure!

アーケードメモリーズVOL.1 (イーグレットツーミニ本体別売) https://amzn.asia/d/09yZxdM
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Derp, redundant post. My bad!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

The Vol.1 add-on card releases tomorrow, just bumping this for visibility. Somehow I missed this when it was announced and just learned about it, maybe others in the same boat. I like the new additions, and lots of shooters. I've played my Egret II Mini more than any other mini cab, kinda excited to see this.

The additional games are:
Great Swordsman
Ohgon No Siro/Great Gurianos/Gladiator
Slap Fight/Alcon
Daisenpuu/Twin Hawk

PuLiRuLa
Grid Seeker: Project Storm Hammer
Riding Fight
Light Bringer/Dungeon Magic
Gekirindan
Cleopatra Fortune

It's still available to order on Amazon.jp, in both a Vol.1 card only version and a combo pack with the Egret II Mini: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0BCG6M28W
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yep looking forward for mine to arrive.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

https://twitter.com/TaitoASelection/sta ... 3543101440

Ega P announces in its last tweet that the potential list of games that might be included in the next 'Arcade Selection Vol.2' has just been published in the Weekly Famitsu's year-end and New Year extra-large issue now on sale !
Would there be a buddy in Japan who could give us this list ? :mrgreen:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

hamfighterx wrote:The Vol.1 add-on card releases tomorrow, just bumping this for visibility. Somehow I missed this when it was announced and just learned about it, maybe others in the same boat. I like the new additions, and lots of shooters. I've played my Egret II Mini more than any other mini cab, kinda excited to see this.

The additional games are:
Great Swordsman
Ohgon No Siro/Great Gurianos/Gladiator
Slap Fight/Alcon
Daisenpuu/Twin Hawk

PuLiRuLa
Grid Seeker: Project Storm Hammer
Riding Fight
Light Bringer/Dungeon Magic
Gekirindan
Cleopatra Fortune

It's still available to order on Amazon.jp, in both a Vol.1 card only version and a combo pack with the Egret II Mini: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0BCG6M28W
Mine arrived and first impressions are very good. Definitely much better than the Taito Legends versions. Interesting that the two Allumer games, Great Swordsman and Ougon no Shiro, are licensed from Seta. Out of all the games in this collection, Alcon and Gladiator are the ones I played the most in the actual arcade cabinet.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Is there a way to get the new releases to install onto the device, a la the spinner games? Or am I relegated to plugging/unplugging the SD card like a caveperson?
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

SavagePencil wrote:Is there a way to get the new releases to install onto the device, a la the spinner games? Or am I relegated to plugging/unplugging the SD card like a caveperson?
So far only works with the card inserted.
A bit of a bummer that you don’t have access to the built in games with me new card plugged in.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

DenimDemon wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:
Sure!

アーケードメモリーズVOL.1 (イーグレットツーミニ本体別売) https://amzn.asia/d/09yZxdM
The Vol.1 set evidently got a very limited production run. Sold out days after release on Amazon. I then ordered from CDJapan showing a 3-7 day shipping window.
Just got an email this morning stating the item is discontinued and not available.
Reportedly the trackball game pack was distributed for free within the firmware update. Here's hoping the Vol.1 games are made available again in some way.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The Vol. 1 expansion pack has been and is currently available in stock at Amazon JP.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0BCG6M28W

I would also expect an European SLG release at some point.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Fudoh wrote:The Vol. 1 expansion pack has been and is currently available in stock at Amazon JP.

It isn't.
Amazon has been showing as "Currently Unavailable" since a couple days after release. It is sold out at all other online retailers as well.

I wouldn't bet on an SLG release as the Egret II Minis didn't exactly sell well for them.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Koa Zo wrote:
Fudoh wrote:The Vol. 1 expansion pack has been and is currently available in stock at Amazon JP.

It isn't.
Amazon has been showing as "Currently Unavailable" since a couple days after release. It is sold out at all other online retailers as well.

I wouldn't bet on an SLG release as the Egret II Minis didn't exactly sell well for them.
Shows as in stock for me as well. Maybe it's blocked from US buyers due to some licensing thing?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
parodius

Post by parodius »

Shows as "Temporarily out of stock." for me as well if I choose delivery to my Singapore address.
But if I set the address of some relatives in Japan, or my old address in Hong Kong, it shows as in stock for ¥7,973.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

so weird - sorry about that. I could buy another right now and at least two friends (Austria and France) bought it yesterday. Never knew that Amazon JP does some kind of geo profiling except for "inside/outside JP" for some items.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Koa Zo wrote:

It isn't.

You've been on the wrong Amazon page, it is definitely available and in stock, I ordered the Vol.1+console bundle a few days ago, but the single Vol.1 is also in stock as well.
cfx

Post by cfx »

lovecraft wrote:You've been on the wrong Amazon page, it is definitely available and in stock, I ordered the Vol.1+console bundle a few days ago, but the single Vol.1 is also in stock as well.
Are you in the US? If you aren't, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Read the last few posts above yours. From the US, using Fudoh's link, which certainly isn't the wrong page, this item is "currently unavailable."
Fudoh wrote:so weird - sorry about that. I could buy another right now and at least two friends (Austria and France) bought it yesterday. Never knew that Amazon JP does some kind of geo profiling except for "inside/outside JP" for some items.
The EU Amazons started this during the early days of COVID-related shutdowns; whether actually related to that or coincidental I don't know.

I don't think Amazon Japan did it quite that far back but they've been doing it for quite some time now. I know various games and blu-rays aren't available to be shipped to the US.