Sony KV-27FS100 is stuck on "Initial Setup"

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
deaconblues1138

Sony KV-27FS100 is stuck on "Initial Setup"

Post by deaconblues1138 »

Hi folks! Thanks for having me.

I recently picked up a gently used 2003 Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-27FS100 for use with retro gaming. I'll admit that I was under-prepared for the sheer weight of the thing, and it took a few tumbles during the moving process (my poor feet mostly cushioned the blows) .I got it home and it seemed to work well. The remote was working, everything seemed hunky-dory.
But a week or so later, the TV stopped taking input from the remote (despite the remote buttons still lighting up on press, new batteries and no obvious damage).
The channels also started to flip randomly. This was fixed by simply clicking all the front buttons multiple times until they settled down. Must have been a stuck button.

But currently, whenever I hit any of the front buttons, the "Initial Setup" screen appears. I can still change inputs, volume, etc, but the "Initial Setup" screen appears every time, and the only way I can make it disappear is by clicking the menu button. If I actually try to start the setup, I get to the next screen where it tells me to hit "+" to confirm, but then immediately disappears without doing anything.

So I'm in a position where I have a CRT that works for basic things if I just leave the controls alone, but it's pretty limited if I can't use the remote control or access the menu.
Does this look like a problem with the TV firmware?

Any help or advice would be deeply appreciated. I'm not exactly a CRT technician so anything involving opening up the unit is a no-go for me, but I'm willing to try anything else to get the TV functioning properly again.

Thank you very much!
Osirus

Re: Sony KV-27FS100 is stuck on "Initial Setup"

Post by Osirus »

Open it up and make sure there aren't loose connectors anywhere. Sounds like you might have jostled something loose when you dropped it. I have a very similar Sony and just a few days ago I had the problem of the Initial Setup OSD not going away after doing an RGB mod. In my case I had plugged a wire harness into the wrong connector on one of the circuit boards.