240 to 540p for SONY Trinitron KV-32HS510 HDCRT Dump Find

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hoagtech

Re: 240 to 540p for SONY Wega KV-32HS510 Dump Find

Post by Hoagtech »

I made an offer that was accepted for $64 for an Extron DSC 301.

He’s got 5 more if someone else wants to try.

I’ll check on custom resolutions at the end of the week.

Here’s the eBay link :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303913131734?h ... SwKflgRo6J
Copyright 1987
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

^
Any idea whether the scaling is supposed to be lag-free? Can you output custom resolutions from it or is it supposed to do 540p out as a preset?

**EDIT - Nevermind, saw Fudohs comments in the 5X thread. Please do update this thread when you get a chance to test it. I think Im going to hold out for Mike to implement a 540p mode in the 5X. A lot of people here are interested in it. I think he'll hook us up when he gets time / perhaps in the next FW update. Fingers crossed.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Briefly tried a custom 540p 33.7kHz resolution from PC to the set today, no sync/ no dice. Not sure why, could be related to the cheap azz VGA to HDMI adapter I was using. I really didnt have time to tinker much, will have to give it another crack later.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Josh128 wrote:Briefly tried a custom 540p 33.7kHz resolution from PC to the set today, no sync/ no dice. Not sure why, could be related to the cheap azz VGA to HDMI adapter I was using. I really didnt have time to tinker much, will have to give it another crack later.
You should be going VGA to component. I got every 33.xx kHz resolution working no problem that way
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Josh128 wrote:Briefly tried a custom 540p 33.7kHz resolution from PC to the set today, no sync/ no dice. Not sure why, could be related to the cheap azz VGA to HDMI adapter I was using. I really didnt have time to tinker much, will have to give it another crack later.
It’s most likely the HDMI out HDCP of your video card. An easy work around is plug the HDMI from your laptop into an older HDMI switch and plugging your output into your HDMI to DVI (in your case).My RadioShack brand switch works wonders.

Also you could try duplicating the laptop display first and then assigning the output as primary.

@bazookaben

Are you using the Audio Authority VGA to Component and is it a Radeon card you use for groovymame?
Copyright 1987
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Got the 40XBR800 set up tonight, and in the process of taking some pics. I need to look up those service menu adjustments but right now running 480p through OSSC without any changes to SM I'm getting a decent quality picture with scanlines. I don't see the same issues Josh is experiencing - at least I don't think so... I do see along the left edge a little bit of uneven scanlines. I think its a convergence issue though because grid pattern on 240p test suite I see some red bleeding from the white lines on that side. Using HDMI to DVI with audio routed from the 3.5mm jack on the OSSC to RCA on the TV. Anyway I'll upload some pics soon.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Hoagtech wrote:@bazookaben

Are you using the Audio Authority VGA to Component and is it a Radeon card you use for groovymame?
I no longer have the a Hi-Scan Sony, but yeah I used the AA with it when I did. And at the time I was using a Radeon 7970 with normal drivers, since I wasn't using SD resolutions.

For alternatives to the AA, I know linuxbot3000's adapter will support HD resolutions, and I wouldn't be surprised if Retrotinks RGB2COMP does as well.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

BazookaBen wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:@bazookaben

I no longer have the a Hi-Scan Sony, but yeah I used the AA with it when I did. And at the time I was using a Radeon 7970 with normal drivers, since I wasn't using SD resolutions.

For alternatives to the AA, I know linuxbot3000's adapter will support HD resolutions, and I wouldn't be surprised if Retrotinks RGB2COMP does as well.
Nice. I’ll look into the LB3000 adapter.

I’m hoping to use my Extron 301 to target 480 into 540 and feed my PC at VGA resolution into the Extron 301.

@incrediblehark
Try this with your remote:

Copyright 1987
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Ok, so I did a bunch of testing out consoles and took some pics of this in action... First off I'm pretty impressed with this tv. the sound is excellent and i'm actually ok with the picture through the OSSC.
Only a couple of issues so far:
I busted the front input door hauling this thing into my house, no big deal as I'm not using it anyway. I just feel bad that the guy took such good care of the tv all these years.
What I believe are convergence issues - Not sure if I can correct in service menu like geometry, and don't know if I have it in me to move this beast again.
Last one more concerning - I'm getting the 6 flashing lights at power on. Manual states its Low +B overcurrent. Either +5 line is overloaded, +5 line is shorted, or IC504 is faulty (I think this was a common issue with this model). Is this definitely my TV, or could it be an issue with something else like the wiring in my house, etc? Assuming there's no voltage setting in the service menu to correct this but I'm hoping someone reading this can give me some advice on troubleshooting that doesn't involve opening up this set.

On to the 240p --> 480p testing:

I haven't adjusted any picture settings or geometry yet, just going off the pro mode in the Sony menu. I went into the service menu and made the recommended adjustments, YSOW was already set to 0. Maybe my eyes aren't as trained as everyone else's and I don't take the best pics but take a look for yourself and let me know if you see similar issues to Josh's set.

(Tried to take a couple of pics for comparison)

I noticed in my service menu, the 480p signal is showing as "FULL" rather than the 980i in Josh128's pics, wondering if that has any relation. I haven't dug into the service menu too much yet, but I'm wondering if some VLIN or VSCO adjustment could help space the lines correctly. or a toggle setting for the input that will enable the correct "FULL" mode or something like that. Or maybe it was the OSSC, because I set the mode to DVI the tv interprets as a PC Signal? Just thinking out loud here.

Couple more pics and links for the album:

No scanlines

75% scanlines

50% scanlines

Full album:

https://ibb.co/album/DYJC0G
Last edited by incrediblehark on Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
matt

Post by matt »

BazookaBen wrote:
matt wrote:Supposedly some Wegas do display 480p letterboxed and just expand the raster to make it fit, which is a much better solution.
In my understanding, all HD Sony CRT's handle 480p this way.

Likewise, with the interlace DRC filter, they also double 480i to 960i inside of a zoomed 1080i raster. So they're decent sets for 480i as well. Just not direct 240p
This doesn't seem to be the case. The scaling artifacts in Josh128's pics are exactly the same as what I've experienced in off-brand HD CRTs that don't handle 480p this way. It appears there's some variability in Sony's scaling algorithms.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Wow, lot of developments here since I last checked in!

First, on Bens comments-- he is definitely on to something. I noticed the other day that the TV does not accept 240p over HDMI from my Time Sleuth, which I programmed in the other day and works fine on my plasmas. Yet it has no problem accepting 240p from the component input. I could see a similar issue with the non-standard 540p resolution being rejected at the HDMI input but working on the component input. I also noted that 480p over HDMI has a jumpy, jittery picture, while the other modes are rock solid. Whats interesting about that is that 480p via component in does not jump, and is rock solid.

Perhaps the non-working resolutions via HDMI in have something to do with HDCP, perhaps the circuitry in the Sony HDMI in is designed to simply not accept anything other than what it recognizes as 480i,480p,720p, or 1080i. This is troubling as I was hoping that a 540p mode from the 5X Pro would be the key to unlock the power of these sets-- now I have serious concerns about it. Perhaps there is a way to send a progressive signal over a 1080i channel via HDMI and fool the set, perhaps not. I've offered to test beta firmware for Mike should he decide to implement one or both of these output resolutions, I hope he takes me up on the offer.

Also found Hoagtechs comments on the cheap splitter interesting, and found this article. Its something I definitely intend to try.

Incredibleshark, congrats on the beast man! Whatever you do, dont tell your wife I encouraged you in this endeavor. :mrgreen: The pics youve shown so far look good, real good in fact. I dont see any wavy vertical compression bands on the pics that youve shown. But to put any doubt to rest, put up a full white screen with full scanlines and take a photo of the screen and post it here. If it is a uniform color from top to bottom, your set is scaling it properly. Dont mind individual patches of discoloration on sides/corners, thats just purity or misconvergence, not uneven scaling. Look at the white pics I posted earlier and you can clearly see the issue in the scanline pic while the no scanline pic looks normal.

As far as the "waves of vertical compression" issue my set is exhibiting, I did try to adjust VLIN to no avail, but I dont think I tried VSCO. I really think this is an internal scaling issue on the set, but before I declare that for certain I need to go back into the SM and try VSCO. Also, there is the slim chance that this issue exists when feeding into the HDMI port but might cure itself if fed into the component port (along the lines of Bens comments). I do have a GBS-C and a DE-15 to component cable and I've already tried component out on the GBS and it does indeed work-- so now Im curious as to whether or not the vertical compression bands Im seeing might go away with a component feed.

Does your set have a DVI in or an HDMI in?
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Ah, my set has DVI in, and I wonder if that is part of the differences in scaling/output in these Sony HDCRTs. I had a similar scanline thing with my Panasonic TH-42PW5, when fed a 480p signal through the VGA input, I was able to achieve perfect scanline uniformity with the OSSC as it took the exact scan rate and output a 640x460 (or 852x480 technically IIRC). Scanlines were even, and very sharp. However I was getting a lot of artifacts while playing certain games (Sonic 2 is where I noticed it) so I hooked up the OSSC through the Component/RGBS input on the plasma. It resolved the artifacts, and motion was much better, which I assume had to do with internal processing differences between the inputs. But scanlines were off, uneven in spots much like what you are experiencing. The menu for the TH-42PW5 has horizontal and vertical adjustments but it didn't work, I couldn't get an even scanned picture. I had to go into the service menu where there were additional vertical scan settings. I tweaked those and was able to get perfect scanlines on that input finally. I understand that these are different display technologies but I couldn't help but notice the similarity.

***EDIT***

Here are the white screen pics 240p test suite psx through OSSC - 100% scanlines / 0 scanlines

ImageImage

Could just be an oversight, but looking on Wikipedia's page on the WEGA, the 40XBR800 is the only model showing straight DVI, all others are HDMI or DVI/HDCP. But I can't imagine the 36XBR800 would be much different than the 40, so its probably nothing there.
***2ND EDIT*** - checked my manual and this DVI is HDCP compliant as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinit ... ted_States
Last edited by incrediblehark on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Going straight analog, no scaling, with a DAC like the HD Fury 2 to the component input on the TV would be good for troubleshooting against HDMI/DVI
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

^^

Scaling on that white screen looks fine.

I can use my laptops VGA out > GBS-C > 36HS420 component in for straight analog 480p testing. Its too bad the GBS-C doesnt support 1080i or 540p. Unless I can use passthrough mode for that, but Im not sure of teh GBS-C's input resolution limitations. At least I'll be able to confirm if the 480p vertical scaling issue is related to the HDMI port or not. I wouldnt think it is, but cant know for sure until I try.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

The GBS is a digital scaler, it mightt screw up the image if not set up properly.

That's why I recommend a DAC that is 1:1 digital pixel in, analog pixel out
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

GBS-C's 480p VGA out is pixel perfect when displaying on a VGA CRT, there will be no difference on this CRT unless the set is re-scaling it and throwing it off. What the GBS does internally shouldnt make a difference if its analog output is scaled properly, which it is. It will definitely show if the set is taking proper incoming 480p and doing some wonky things with it, and whether that is true for both analog and digital inputs.

I do have an AA 9A60 VGA to component transcoder, which should be straight analog to analog and would be useful for my PC VGA to the component on the TV when trying 540p again, but the GBS is the easier first option for me to try to verify the 480p issue.
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Josh128 wrote:Wow, lot of developments here since I last checked in!

Incredibleshark, congrats on the beast man! Whatever you do, dont tell your wife I encouraged you in this endeavor. :mrgreen:

Haha no worries! I did tell her you said I would be crazy not to pick up the set. She said if I didn't I'd regret it, and I asked her would I regret it if I did? :P She seems to have taken it well. I love her for putting up with me and my obsession with gaming displays. The D Series is currently in my basement, she wants me to get rid of it but I'm holding off for now.

As for your scanline issues... I may have found a solution for you. Try adjusting MDVS in your service menu, should be under category MID1 number 11 based on your model:

Just messing around in mine and came across this as I was fiddling. Best part about these sony's is even though the menu is cryptic nothing saves automatically. I just unplugged my set and brought it back to my settings. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this will solve your problem, or at least be on the right track.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

This thread gives me flashbacks. I'm glad you are all enjoying your HD Crts. Don't forget to try some modern stuff on it as well (apparently ps5 has 1080i support) as that's where they truly shine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

incrediblehark wrote: Haha no worries! I did tell her you said I would be crazy not to pick up the set. She said if I didn't I'd regret it, and I asked her would I regret it if I did? :P She seems to have taken it well. I love her for putting up with me and my obsession with gaming displays.
Hell of a woman you got there man, now you owe her, keep that in mind next time she wants something that sounds silly to you. 8)

incrediblehark wrote:As for your scanline issues... I may have found a solution for you. Try adjusting MDVS in your service menu, should be under category MID1 number 11 based on your model:

Just messing around in mine and came across this as I was fiddling. Best part about these sony's is even though the menu is cryptic nothing saves automatically. I just unplugged my set and brought it back to my settings. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this will solve your problem, or at least be on the right track.
Interesting, I'll give it a try as well as VSCO and see if either help. Ive never heard anything about this option, thanks.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Have an interesting update regarding the 480p scaling on the 36HS420. Was able to spend some time in my *under construction* workshop yesterday, which currently has no A/C, here in south Louisiana, and got some really awesome results with my GBS-C using the component out capability into the set. Before I knew it, I was sweating like a pig, but I didnt care, I was having too much fun! :mrgreen:

So strangely enough, 480p into the component inputs of the set is perfect, with no uneven scaling like I saw in the 480p HDMI input. I didnt change any settings. The set looked fabulous, like a huge VGA monitor. Turns out the set has pretty damned good geometry and convergence (I previously tweaked geo in the SM). Its good enough in fact, that I had crazy thoughts go through my head about swapping out the 36" SD Trin Im currently using in my house. Jury is still out on that, but if Mike comes through with a zero lag output mode on the 5X that works on this thing, its probably going to happen.

As far as the GBS-C, it does indeed seem to have a bit of a "blue push" that has been discussed earlier on the GBS-C thread. Blues just jump out at you, and Arthur on GnG has a blueish component to his armor on grays that he doesnt have normally. This could probably be offset with some monitor tweaking, but regardless, it still looks great. I just think that comparing the 5X Pro and the GBS it becomes obvious that the colors are more accurate coming out of the Pro, and another reason why I crave a working mode out of it. *Let's go, Mike! :P *

I was not able to play with the PC out to the TV as I had wasted enough of my afternoon fiddling with the GBS-C, but someday I would like to try again. Heres some pics from the GBS-C component out to the set.

https://i.imgur.com/YtVENoO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lUN4GMl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/usQOS30.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zKFL8cs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Kueu2ul.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oTkKPAQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/arQhZVg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1Wp7HgI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BubM9uq.jpg

Little comparison between my 17" VGA monitor and the HS-420, both fed by GBS-C. Note the HS-420 shots are over exposed, cell phone shots vs a DLSR for the VGA shots, but you get the gist.

https://i.imgur.com/fYOHNGS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UlK4ylk.jpg
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Awesome pics! The tv looks really good! Glad to hear you had success with the component input, and without any extra tweaking. What are your scanline settings? I don't have a GBS-Control but your settings look just right to me. Waiting on an adapter so I can test out my current gen systems on this too.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

I believe these were at 0% (which in GBS-C is full) scanlines. Yeah, it did look really good in person too. These sets have massive potential, no pun intended.

I thought you were using the GBS-C for your Ghouls N Ghosts pictures. What were you using?
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

Josh128 wrote:Have an interesting update regarding the 480p scaling on the 36HS420. Was able to spend some time in my *under construction* workshop yesterday, which currently has no A/C, here in south Louisiana, and got some really awesome results with my GBS-C using the component out capability into the set. Before I knew it, I was sweating like a pig, but I didnt care, I was having too much fun! :mrgreen:

So strangely enough, 480p into the component inputs of the set is perfect, with no uneven scaling like I saw in the 480p HDMI input. I didnt change any settings. The set looked fabulous, like a huge VGA monitor. Turns out the set has pretty damned good geometry and convergence (I previously tweaked geo in the SM). Its good enough in fact, that I had crazy thoughts go through my head about swapping out the 36" SD Trin Im currently using in my house. Jury is still out on that, but if Mike comes through with a zero lag output mode on the 5X that works on this thing, its probably going to happen.

As far as the GBS-C, it does indeed seem to have a bit of a "blue push" that has been discussed earlier on the GBS-C thread. Blues just jump out at you, and Arthur on GnG has a blueish component to his armor on grays that he doesnt have normally. This could probably be offset with some monitor tweaking, but regardless, it still looks great. I just think that comparing the 5X Pro and the GBS it becomes obvious that the colors are more accurate coming out of the Pro, and another reason why I crave a working mode out of it. *Let's go, Mike! :P *

I was not able to play with the PC out to the TV as I had wasted enough of my afternoon fiddling with the GBS-C, but someday I would like to try again. Heres some pics from the GBS-C component out to the set.

https://i.imgur.com/YtVENoO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lUN4GMl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/usQOS30.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zKFL8cs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Kueu2ul.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oTkKPAQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/arQhZVg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1Wp7HgI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BubM9uq.jpg

Little comparison between my 17" VGA monitor and the HS-420, both fed by GBS-C. Note the HS-420 shots are over exposed, cell phone shots vs a DLSR for the VGA shots, but you get the gist.

https://i.imgur.com/fYOHNGS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UlK4ylk.jpg
So those screen shots are 480p fed via component and scanlines set at 100% opacity? It looks pretty good!

From what I gathered in my testing (I swear I posted this up somewhere but maybe not) you get more lag going through component almost always. But it's because you go analog -> digital -> analog on these sets. If you go straight into HDMI then you skip one step of that. That step, however, seems to be correcting 480p going into the TV. I have a hs420 I should try and see if I get the same issues through HDMI.

One thing of note on these TVs is resolution switching is brutal. If you have a scaler that causes a resync it takes longer to get a picture back than on a lot of flat panel televisions I own. That said, however, the 5x could always buffer than and it wouldn't be too bad. Feeding 540p into the HDMI may actually give a properly scaled image as well.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. Interesting stuff!
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Yes, its 480p out w/ full scanlines from the GBS. Using the component output doesnt add any lag vs HDMI, what changes lag is the resolution you feed the set. As you can see in the pictures below, straight 480i in on the HDMI port shows 48ms of lag, while sending TS 480i>HDMI to VGA converter>GBS-C>720p component in on the set only shows 14.7ms of lag, which is the same as 480p or 720p fed directly into the HDMI port from the TS. Actually, in these photos, the long converter chain into component can sometimes be faster than direct to HDMI, but its margin of error stuff. 1080i in, once you change the HDPT setting noted earlier in this thread, is a zero lag mode. Its why I hoping for the mode or a progressive variant of the mode to be implemented into the RT5X Pro.

BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

How does the lag change when you use the 16:9 mode or the zoom modes?
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Josh128 wrote:I believe these were at 0% (which in GBS-C is full) scanlines. Yeah, it did look really good in person too. These sets have massive potential, no pun intended.

I thought you were using the GBS-C for your Ghouls N Ghosts pictures. What were you using?
I'm using an OSSC, I was a little late to the game and just read about the GBS-C last month, and now figure I'll hold off and get one of the new scalers when the time comes.
One thing of note on these TVs is resolution switching is brutal. If you have a scaler that causes a resync it takes longer to get a picture back than on a lot of flat panel televisions I own.
I measured (nothing special, just a stopwatch) about 2.5 seconds on resolution change from 240p-480i and back on the OSSC when I was testing with Alundra 2 menu screen. Interesting for me was on OSSC with bob+alternating scanlines, 480i looked exactly like my FV310 did, including the combing i noticed during motion. Had to switch to passthrough while playing VF2 on Saturn.

I'm waiting on a VGA to DVI adapter, but just got one of those cheap Chinese HDMI -> Component boxes in the mail today. Played some Zelda BOTW in 720p on it, and looked pretty amazing as well. I like that on this TV 16:9 is still about a 36" screen.

hoagtech, looking forward to seeing your set!
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Yeah, bob de-int + 0% scanlines on the GBS-C on Sonic 2 in the 2 player mode looked just like what you see on a 15KHz TV. Pretty cool stuff. As far as res switching, its pretty pointless IMO because on their own, these sets are not worth a damn for 240p/480i gaming. Using a modern scaler like the GBS-C or RT 5X, you will never change output resolutions, so source switching is seamless.

Ben, I didnt think to try to switch between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios or zooms while checking with Time Sleuth. Will check later.
Hoagtech

Re: 240 to 540p for SONY Trinitron KV-32HS510 Dump Find

Post by Hoagtech »

I finally got around to unloading and testing my Trinitron KV-32HS510 in my shop.

I connected it to the OSSC at 2x through DVI.

I left it uncalibrated and was impressed to say the least with the results from Bloodlines.

For some reason the "Video 7" OSD will not go away...

Then I did a quick test with VGA rez from the 360 and loved the colorful ,sharp image coming the 480p source. I's surprised the VGA mode on 360 supports XGA resolution but not 540p or 1080i through VGA. If I remember right the Component cables had a 1080i option.

The Extron 301 arrived so I still need to figure out to create my custom resolution of 480p inside a 540p window through it in the future.

I also have the Extron rxi 203 to mess around with decreasing brightness and turning up peak to mess around with bloom on full scanlines to mitigate the brightness drop.
Copyright 1987
Josh128

Re: 240 to 540p for SONY Trinitron KV-32HS510 HDCRT Dump Fin

Post by Josh128 »

Thats looking pretty good. Curious to see how you make out with the Extron 540p mode. Im still waiting for Mike to create a mode on the 5X. He said he intends on doing it. Fingers crossed he can get it to work.
Fudoh

Re: 240 to 540p for SONY Trinitron KV-32HS510 HDCRT Dump Fin

Post by Fudoh »

The Extron 301 arrived so I still need to figure out to create my custom resolution of 480p inside a 540p window through it in the future.
that works through an EDID bank import on the PC control software. You basically create an EDID file with your custom resolution first and then import it into the control program.